Official Review: Alone on Pasture Ridge by J. R. Hightower

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Official Review: Alone on Pasture Ridge by J. R. Hightower

Post by ritah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Alone on Pasture Ridge" by J. R. Hightower.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Alone on Pasture Ridge by J.R. Hightower is a work of fiction set in southern New Mexico in the late 1870s. Written in the third-person point of view, the narrative takes readers to the Wild West as it follows the account of Rob Wilson and his best friend, Jessie Hatfield.

After losing his parents and sister to typhoid fever in the span of a few weeks, Rob is distraught and goes through the motions while questioning the tragic events in his life. He quickly decides he can’t stand to stay at his family’s ranch, as it reminds him of the loss he wishes to heal from. With the help of Jesse, who also lost his parents, Rob is able to say goodbye to his family and home for the last time. As soon as the ranch is sold, the two young men leave their woes in Texas to explore new lands in New Mexico, all with the hopes of starting anew and building their own ranch. However, though they achieve great strides and make a couple of friends along the way, their journey isn’t all smooth sailing, as they also make a number of foes, experience setbacks, and encounter perils that threaten their lives and livelihood.

One of the highlights of this novel is that there are good evocative descriptions of landmarks, landscapes, and places the characters visited and settled in. This truly gave me the sense that I was there exploring, gathering, and building alongside them. Another plus was the detailed descriptions of the scrumptious meals the characters had. Additionally, it was always easy to tell who was speaking thanks to the characters having distinct voices mostly in terms of vocabulary, mannerisms, and accents.

Unfortunately, the narrative was marred by a number of glaring issues that were hard to ignore. First, the author’s writing was flat, as it lacked emotion and action. As a result, even the bits of humor weaved into the dialogue felt rather dry. Because the writing consisted of more ‘telling’ than ‘showing’, the plot suffered – it was unexciting, unmoving, and things just seemed to happen. Next, there were a few times when the dialogue felt unnatural and forced with unnecessary details, especially Rob’s conversations with the banker and when he’d mention the occupation of family members without being asked. Another issue was that there were too many dialogue tags, even when it was obvious who was speaking based on context, people present, and names mentioned in the conversation. What made the overuse of the tags even more obvious was the monotonous use of dialogue tags ‘said’ and ‘asked’, which brings me to the next issue. At times, the two tags were used interchangeably; even when a character posed a question, the tag ‘said’ was used instead of the question tag ‘asked’, which I found quite distracting.

In Location 698, Jesse asked a question that went unanswered; this made me feel like something was missing from that part of the narrative. The romance element would have been a good subplot; however, it fell short, and like other parts of the story, it was told, making it hard to feel connected to it. In addition to all the issues mentioned above, I encountered numerous grammatical and punctuation errors, such as missing articles, missing punctuation marks (commas and periods), missing opening quotations, etc. And although at times the main cast interacted with each other in interesting ways, the characters were either two-dimensional or one-dimensional. Thus, I didn’t find myself captivated or invested in the characters entirely. Factoring everything, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars.

Aside from the brief mention of Francisco Vasquez de Coronado’s exploration of the Llano Estacado, there isn’t much in the way of actual historical figures or events incorporated into the storyline. Thus, if you’re a historical buff looking to get your hands on a historical fiction filled with historical accuracies and information about that period, this book isn’t for you. However, this may appeal to those who gravitate towards new beginnings out in the wild and building and protecting a ranch.

Alone on Pasture Ridge
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ritah's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

Based on your review, the title of the book seems fitting with the strong descriptions of the surrounding scenery.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad that the writing is so unemotional as it seems that are lots of places it should come into play. This seems more dramatic than action packed which means you need to be able to identify with the characters. I'll skip this. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

This is such an insightful review. I feel like the story has potential, however the author fails to write smoothly.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The opening seemed strong with the loss of the parents and the selling of the family farm. This sounds like it could be developed into a compelling story. Thanks for your insightful review.
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

I enjoyed reading your informative review. Based on the summary, it seems like a book I would read, but the numerous errors and dialog redundancy forces me to pass. I went to Amazon to see if the book is self-publish and it is. I wish the author had taken the time to present the book to a good editor because the storyline is very interesting. Thanks!

:tiphat:
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
HRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Post by HRichards »

What a pity the dialogue and writing sounds so dull. Also the errors would distract me no end.

Return to “Historical Fiction”