Official Review: Deceitful Survival by LC Lee

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Official Review: Deceitful Survival by LC Lee

Post by Rosemary Wright »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Deceitful Survival" by LC Lee.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Deceitful Survival, by LC Lee, follows the life journey of Beth, who was born and raised in Brittany. As a teenager, she lost her parents, and her brothers made her move into Aunt Simone's home. They wanted her to stay there until she got married. Aunt Simone was their father's sister, and being a hard taskmaster, she set Beth to work straightaway. After being starved and treated like a slave for almost a year, Beth packed her few belongings and left Aunt Simone's place.

Having little formal schooling and without a home, Beth sent a letter of inquiry about becoming a nun to the Reverend Mother in the Ursuline Convent in Rouen, after much persuasion from her friends. Later on, Beth was renamed Sister Mary Andree La roux and allowed to take her temporary and final vows. Afterwards, she was sent to Haiti, where she met Father René, and as she was about to settle into her new life, unexpected events started unfolding. She and René got faced with the temptation of breaking their religious vows.

Based on a true story, Deceitful Survival has an intriguing plotline, and using historical events and real places, the author succeeded in providing an entertaining and a thought-provoking tale. The beginning is a bit sketchy, but from the middle, the narration becomes thorough. Nonetheless, if you're seeking an action-packed historical fiction novel, this is not it. Exploring the themes of love and family, this narrative has few action scenes, but it has some intriguing twists and turns. I enjoyed reading every page.

The book has the right balance of descriptions and dialogues. Lee described the characters very well, enough for a reader to relate to them. They are so vivid, especially the protagonists, Beth and René, who are calm and resilient. Beth is a determined woman, with great love for her family. Somewhere in the story, she had to do something out of the ordinary to get her family back together. Miguel, Beth's son, is a strong young man, proving that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Overall, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I didn't rate it lower because it's interesting. It's a well-structured novel. Again, I couldn't rate it higher because it consists of some grammatical and typographical errors, such as "The Vodun dragged in her in as she screamed for James..." and "The intruders were large men that and approached the camp in a rush." It requires a second round of editing, and I recommend it to readers who enjoy reading historical fiction books involving politics, love, and romance.

Deceitful Survival
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rosemary Wright's review? Post a comment saying so!
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

The plot sounds intriguing. I have so many ideas running around in my head as to what Beth and the Father do....interesting indeed!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

From your Review, The book is quite intriguing. From Nun to a mum, and From a Reverend Father to a Daddy. Great description of character by Lee. Nice review!
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

You genuinely caught my attention until you said if am anticipating an action-packed novel this wasn't for me(Sad). However, it still sounds like it has quite the twists and turns. Thanks for the review.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I think Beth must have a strong personality to be able to leave her aunt's house. She made some interesting life choices after that. You have written a very intriguing review. I like it!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I always wonder what it takes for someone to become a nun. This book has that and more. Other than love, I wonder what tempts them to break their vows. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This seems like a well-constructed novel, if not for the various grammar and editing errors found. Thanks for the review!
maxiphemmax
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maxiphemmax.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by maxiphemmax »

I am currently reading this book, and I find it so interesting. the few chapters I have read reminds me of the movie titled 'The Sound of Music.' Nice review.
nana7613
Favorite Book: The Cat in the Hat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nana7613.html
Latest Review: A Life Naive by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by nana7613 »

Other than the fact that they break their vows, it does not appear that interesting. Then again, the themes mentioned do not usually pique my interest. Thanks for your review.
Nikolas Farmakis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nickolas-farmakis.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Nikolas Farmakis »

This is a great review! I liked the fact that you included your opinion of the book in the review. Great work!
Annie2019
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annie2019.html

Post by Annie2019 »

kandscreeley wrote: 21 Jan 2019, 18:52 I always wonder what it takes for someone to become a nun. This book has that and more. Other than love, I wonder what tempts them to break their vows. Thanks for the review.
A good read! :tiphat: Being a nun I feel should be a calling and not pushed by circumstances or issues of life like for the case of Andree. Nice review :)
Annie2019
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annie2019.html

Post by Annie2019 »

This is an intriguing and interesting historical book I have just read. You've given honest remarks and a great review. Good job!
Odette Chace
Favorite Book: The History of Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 576
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odette-chace.html
Latest Review: Everyday Pocket Poetry by LoAnn Twedt

Post by Odette Chace »

When people are backed into a corner, they become surprisingly resourceful. I'm interested to see what tempts Beth to abandon her vows. Thanks for a great review.
Jorge Leon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

An interesting novel based on real events that follows the journey of life of Beth, who lives difficult experiences with her aunt and then decides to become a nun. It looks like a slow-paced but entertaining book.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

An interesting historical fictional thriller novel with mystery, temptation, romance, revolution, religion, determination, and an impressive protagonist. The book has a free sample on Amazon Kindle and has an inciteful OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.

Return to “Historical Fiction”