Official Review: One Day in Lebanon by Lawrence Scofield

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: One Day in Lebanon by Lawrence Scofield

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "One Day in Lebanon" by Lawrence Scofield.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Inspired by the 1988 kidnapping of U.S. Marine Colonel William Higgins, the historical fiction novel One Day in Lebanon: A Hostage Rescue is the third book in the Laura Messier Files series by Lawrence Scofield.

En route from a secret meeting with Syrian President Assad, two American diplomats are kidnapped. CIA Associate Director Steven Tilton travels to the Bahamas to request the assistance of former CIA operative Laura Messier, who also happens to be his ex-wife. Despite her personal differences with Steve, Laura agrees. She and her business partner, former French Intelligence Jean Broussard select a highly qualified team including a retired CIA field agent, a former marine officer, and an ex-military Lebanon expert. After investigating, the team's suspicions that the hostage location may be across the border in Lebanon, are confirmed by satellite surveillance. A Presidential Finding is issued by the White House engaging a covert military hostage rescue mission by Laura and her team, but will it be too late?

The book is well written, professionally edited, thoroughly researched, and supported by a cast of multilayered characters. I particularly like the inclusion of a strong female protagonist. Laura is not only part of the team, but she is also the leader. Though considered beautiful, Laura is described as smart, confident, authoritative, and brave. However, she wrestles with her fair share of inner demons adding depth to her character and making her more relatable to readers.

Despite the author's meticulous attention to detail in most aspects of the book, I found it curious that he selected the same first name for two of the characters. While Jack Mason is a retired CIA agent and Jack Postl is a computer expert, both are employed by Laura. When Mason is referred to as "Jack" in one paragraph, and then immediately addresses Postl by his first name, it's confusing, to say the least. Given the complicated plot, and since there are quite a few characters to keep straight, it's hard to understand why the author didn't choose a different name to avoid potential confusion. Even so, this issue didn't detract from my overall reading enjoyment.

I'm pleased to rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Though the third book in the series, it easily stands on its own. Readers who haven't read the previous books can delve into it without experiencing any gaps in the plot. However, they may prefer to add the entire series to their reading lists once they've enjoyed this one. Due to profanity and plot-related violence, it is intended for a mature audience. I recommend the book to fans of historical fiction and espionage. It will also appeal to readers who appreciate plots featuring strong female characters.

One Day in Lebanon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

This is not a book I would read as I find their plots usually confusing and tiring but I'm glad you enjoyed it. It is truly peculiar that the author chose to name two characters "Jack" for no particular reason I suppose. This fact would make things even more confusing to me. Thank you for your review, I've read many of your previous reviews, you do a great job.
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Sen_Suzumiya wrote: 19 Jan 2019, 07:52 This is not a book I would read as I find their plots usually confusing and tiring but I'm glad you enjoyed it. It is truly peculiar that the author chose to name two characters "Jack" for no particular reason I suppose. This fact would make things even more confusing to me. Thank you for your review, I've read many of your previous reviews, you do a great job.
Thanks for your kind comment. :tiphat:
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I've seen it happen more and more in books where the author decides to give two characters the same name. I find it odd. Even though it's something that can happen in real life, it makes a fictional story more confusing. Well, it seems that this book more than made up for it with the great storyline :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Bianka Walter wrote: 19 Jan 2019, 12:52 I've seen it happen more and more in books where the author decides to give two characters the same name. I find it odd. Even though it's something that can happen in real life, it makes a fictional story more confusing. Well, it seems that this book more than made up for it with the great storyline :)
Bianka, I had the same thought about real-life names but as you stated, it does add confusion in a fiction story. Thanks for your comment.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This historical fiction intrigues me. I like your recommendations and the professional editing is another bit plus. Your writing is so interesting to read. Thanks for a well-written review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kdstrack wrote: 20 Jan 2019, 13:41 This historical fiction intrigues me. I like your recommendations and the professional editing is another bit plus. Your writing is so interesting to read. Thanks for a well-written review.
Thanks for stopping by and for your kind comment.
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

This book sounds fascinating. I have not heard of this series before, but it sounds like something I would be interested in reading. Are all of the books based on actual events?

By the way, I always enjoy your reviews! They are so thorough, covering everything I look for in a review. Thanks!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 21 Jan 2019, 10:23 This book sounds fascinating. I have not heard of this series before, but it sounds like something I would be interested in reading. Are all of the books based on actual events?

By the way, I always enjoy your reviews! They are so thorough, covering everything I look for in a review. Thanks!
Sarah, this was the first book I read in the series, so I'm not sure if the others are also inspired by true events. I was impressed by the author's research. Thanks for your kind comment. :tiphat:
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

This is not a book i would ordinarily pick up, but i am interested in the fact that you mentioned strong female characters. I appreciate your review so, thank you.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The name confusion would be irritating. That's such an easy thing to fix. All in all, this book really doesn't appeal to me. I just can't picture reading it. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

"Though considered beautiful, Laura is described as smart, confident, authoritative, and brave."
The moment I read these words, I paused mid reading and thought to myself, wow, such strong words to describe such a strong lady. Something within me moved and I wished the same could be said about me one day. I also liked the fact that Laura is battling her own issues, clearly showing that even as the best versions of ourselves we have moments of weakness. I like the espionage plot which sounds to be full of twists. I look forward to reading this book.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

Perhaps the author wanted to make her book even more realistic by including common names for two of her characters? Since you mention it doesn't hinder with your reading experience, I'd say she succeeded. Laura seems to be a potent leader and very intriguing character. Great review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Itskai88 wrote: 21 Jan 2019, 15:14 This is not a book i would ordinarily pick up, but i am interested in the fact that you mentioned strong female characters. I appreciate your review so, thank you.
Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 21 Jan 2019, 17:39 The name confusion would be irritating. That's such an easy thing to fix. All in all, this book really doesn't appeal to me. I just can't picture reading it. Thanks, though.
Thanks for your comment.

Return to “Historical Fiction”