Official Review: Dear American Brother by Joe J. Elder

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Official Review: Dear American Brother by Joe J. Elder

Post by Manang Muyang »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dear American Brother" by Joe J. Elder.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dear American Brother, a novel based on a true story, is an agonizing read. Many pages are a study in horror. What evil humans can do to other humans is beyond imagination. How can humans be so utterly inhuman?

Hans Gerein, the principal character, narrates the story spanning the years 1914 to 1945. These were 31 years of hardship upon hardship as his German village of Chornov in South Russia underwent the trials of World War I, the Bolshevik Regime, and World War II. We usually look at the Germans as the villains of the World Wars. Here is proof that even Germans were helpless victims, particularly the descendants of the German colonists who settled in the Kutschurgan area in South Russia.

Hans, Loni (his older sister), and Kurt (his older brother) lived normal lives with their family and their neighbors, farmers mostly. They had strong neighborhood camaraderie, attended the Catholic church, and generally lived well. Then, World War I broke out. Kurt joined their Uncle Pius’s family when they moved to America; the plan was for the rest of the clan to follow. Meanwhile, with the able adult males conscripted to fight the invading Germans, 11-year-old Hans was forced to grow up and take adult responsibilities under his Grandpa Wilhelm’s supervision.

The Bolsheviks ousted the Germans in 1917, and communism was instituted: Religion was banned. All their landholdings were pooled. All produce was turned over to the government. The Cause was supposed to treat everyone equally. It succeeded in that all, save for the Russian guards, equally starved and worked to the bone.

In 1941, Hitler arrived as their savior; starvation was over. However, the villagers’ woes did not end. In 1945, the Soviet Army returned to wreak revenge on the German-Russians. In their flight to Germany, Hans and his daughter Ami got separated.

Through the 31 years, Hans and Kurt continued communicating; however, silent years had to intervene owing to the cruel regimes. Will Hans reunite with Ami? Will he ever fulfill his American dream?

War is bad. I believe that is an irrefutable fact, but the Gereins in Chornov lived harrowing lives even during the time of supposed peace.

Joe J. Elder, himself a German descendant, wrote this story to honor his grandmother, a player in that besieged era. The book blends history with the fictional tale of the Gerein family. While Kurt is shown living a good life in America, his brother Hans’s travails appear in stark contrast. Elder paints the excruciating picture with striking vividness, making me stop reading many times to collect myself.

The scattering of German and Russian words succeeds in heightening the realism. Though many of the words are understandable from the context, including a glossary will ensure that the reader interprets the words correctly. The titles used for the chapters are usually quoted from the characters; these make the reader connect to the characters and act as effective summaries of the chapters.

I want this book experienced by many: people who know nothing about those devastating events which rocked the world and people whose families continue to suffer the effects of those events. It will not be a pleasant read, I can assure you. Those who are sensitive to gore may opt out. However, this is a book that will open eyes and touch hearts in many ways.

I would be remiss if I don’t mention that there are light and shining moments, too. We get to read about German traditions relating to courtship, weddings, Christmas, and community life. We see what great sacrifices parents can do for their children, how the love of family makes hardship bearable, how faith keeps hope alive, and how music and humor alleviate times of despair.

I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. While I wholeheartedly recommend it, I cannot turn a blind eye to the editing issues in its pages. The one-star deduction is for the numerous grammar slips, mostly run-on sentences and bad punctuation. Joe Elder should wipe out these errors to make this book stand out. It should belong to every family’s library as a reminder of human cruelty and of the comforting balm of faith, family, and friendship.

Dear American Brother
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Miriam Molina's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This one sounds completely emotional. It's stories like this that are extremely hard to read, but I do feel that they are necessary. I really have to put this one on my list, though I do wonder if it will take me a bit longer to read than normal because of the realistic nature of the book. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

kandscreeley wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 09:22 Wow! This one sounds completely emotional. It's stories like this that are extremely hard to read, but I do feel that they are necessary. I really have to put this one on my list, though I do wonder if it will take me a bit longer to read than normal because of the realistic nature of the book. Thanks.
Yes, it was a painful read. But I am glad to have experienced it. Those were hard years. Let's pray they don't happen again.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Though I tend to steer away from such weighty emotional content, I appreciate your informative review.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Cecilia_L wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 13:14 Though I tend to steer away from such weighty emotional content, I appreciate your informative review.
I remember being horrified while reading "Survival in Auschwitz"; this book has the same impact. I can understand your decision to shun such reads.

Thanks for the visit.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

This topic always interests me, as I have direct descendants who survived this time.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Jessacardinal wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 14:10 This topic always interests me, as I have direct descendants who survived this time.
I am sure you will be able to relate to the story. May your family never face such horrors again.
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

Miriam Molina wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 14:37
Jessacardinal wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 14:10 This topic always interests me, as I have direct descendants who survived this time.
I am sure you will be able to relate to the story. May your family never face such horrors again.
May NO family ever face such a horror ever again! I am so thankful I never directly experienced anything like this.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Jessacardinal wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 14:47
May NO family ever face such a horror ever again! I am so thankful I never directly experienced anything like this.
I stand corrected. You are so right. Nobody deserves such human-inflicted sufferings.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Entrepreneurship: 5 Best Practices for Stay-At-Home-Moms who want to start an Online Business by Patricia Jennings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I have heard of the "Volga Deutsche" - some of them came to Germany after reunification. The period of this book was, of course, a harrowing one for the writer's ancestors. You capture the horrors well, but thanks for also mentioning the lighter parts. It's amazing how positive humans can be despite horrendous external circumstances. Thanks for a detailed review!
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

War causes a lot of pain and suffering, I wouldn't wish that to anyone. I do love reading about historical events even if it's fictional. I'll definitely add this to my list. Great review
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 16:25 I have heard of the "Volga Deutsche" - some of them came to Germany after reunification. The period of this book was, of course, a harrowing one for the writer's ancestors. You capture the horrors well, but thanks for also mentioning the lighter parts. It's amazing how positive humans can be despite horrendous external circumstances. Thanks for a detailed review!
Thanks, Alice. It was, indeed, a difficult time for the Kutschurgan colonists. They were German-Russians; they had to fight the Germans in WWI, then the Russians during the communist regime until Gorbachev's time. I salute those men and women for surviving those harrowing times.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Nyambura Githui wrote: 15 Jan 2019, 16:33 War causes a lot of pain and suffering, I wouldn't wish that to anyone. I do love reading about historical events even if it's fictional. I'll definitely add this to my list. Great review
While Hans's story is fictional, all the tragic events in the book happened in real life. We are lucky to have been spared those horrors.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This sounds like very heavy material. I congratulate on your sensitive and thoughtful review. Your words remind us that we need to learn history so as not to repeat the same errors. This is a must-read! Thanks for your excellent writing!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This sounds like a very emotional and heart wrenching book. I don't think this is the right book for me at this time as a childhood friend of mine lost her hubby yesterday. I'm all in my feelings now. However, this is a great summary. Kudos
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White

Return to “Historical Fiction”