Official Review: Dear American Brother by Joe J. Elder

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Official Review: Dear American Brother by Joe J. Elder

Post by Manang Muyang »

T_stone wrote: 17 Jan 2019, 06:16 This sounds like a very emotional and heart wrenching book. I don't think this is the right book for me at this time as a childhood friend of mine lost her hubby yesterday. I'm all in my feelings now. However, this is a great summary. Kudos
Thanks for sharing your insights. I hope your friend copes well with her loss. I'm sure she is comforted by your sympathy. Grief shared is sorrow divided (while joy shared is multiplied).
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

kdstrack wrote: 16 Jan 2019, 22:20 This sounds like very heavy material. I congratulate on your sensitive and thoughtful review. Your words remind us that we need to learn history so as not to repeat the same errors. This is a must-read! Thanks for your excellent writing!
I appreciate your kind words. This book will remain in my memory for a long time. It reminds me that I am blessed despite my woes and to pray for all humanity to heed the Golden Rule. No religion is required to follow that one.
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

I thought I commented on this review, but I can't see it :( Anyway, the book does sound interesting, and I'll probably get it if I see it on offer. The grammatical errors sound a bit too much, but hopefully the great story offsets this. A great review, as always.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

kislany wrote: 19 Jan 2019, 04:32 I thought I commented on this review, but I can't see it :( Anyway, the book does sound interesting, and I'll probably get it if I see it on offer. The grammatical errors sound a bit too much, but hopefully the great story offsets this. A great review, as always.
The grammatical errors are actually not outrageous, but they're noticeable (especially since we are looking for them). Yet this story is worth reading for all the lessons it shares, lest we forget.

Thanks for the appreciation, kindred spirit!
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

Some parts of history were really painful and a lot of people have to live with the sorrow and the void created till this day. I know i will not be reading this but i appreciate your review.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Itskai88 wrote: 21 Jan 2019, 13:49 Some parts of history were really painful and a lot of people have to live with the sorrow and the void created till this day. I know i will not be reading this but i appreciate your review.
Thanks for your time. Let's pray the world has no more of such pain and sorrow.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

Thanks for the detailed review. I, however, do not think I would be able to pursue this read mostly because of the inhumane acts.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

Faithmwangi wrote: 24 Jan 2019, 09:01 Thanks for the detailed review. I, however, do not think I would be able to pursue this read mostly because of the inhumane acts.
I certainly understand. The book contains many unspeakable horrors.

Thank you for sharing your sentiments.
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Thanks for such a thorough review! This one sounds like a teeth-clencher. The fact that it is based on a true story makes it appealing to me, and I would like to read it. Thanks for pointing out the editing issues and deducting the star. I see a lot of reviews that neglect to do that.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 26 Jan 2019, 08:45 Thanks for such a thorough review! This one sounds like a teeth-clencher. The fact that it is based on a true story makes it appealing to me, and I would like to read it. Thanks for pointing out the editing issues and deducting the star. I see a lot of reviews that neglect to do that.
Sadly, the editing keeps the book from the perfect rating. But I still recommend it highly.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

The story, being told from the German perspective, is a fresh and unique take on the world wars. It sounds like a wholly emotional story, and rightfully so. I am fascinated this book, especially when it's about German civilians, who honestly have no part in the blame game; I'll try my best to pick up a copy. Thanks for the stunning review, Miriam!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

gen_g wrote: 29 Jan 2019, 04:13 The story, being told from the German perspective, is a fresh and unique take on the world wars. It sounds like a wholly emotional story, and rightfully so. I am fascinated this book, especially when it's about German civilians, who honestly have no part in the blame game; I'll try my best to pick up a copy. Thanks for the stunning review, Miriam!
Thank you, my friend. My last two reviews are both for true sad stories. Perhaps they touched some hearts.

P. S. The luck held. Prayer works!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Miriam Molina wrote: 29 Jan 2019, 05:38
gen_g wrote: 29 Jan 2019, 04:13 The story, being told from the German perspective, is a fresh and unique take on the world wars. It sounds like a wholly emotional story, and rightfully so. I am fascinated this book, especially when it's about German civilians, who honestly have no part in the blame game; I'll try my best to pick up a copy. Thanks for the stunning review, Miriam!
Thank you, my friend. My last two reviews are both for true sad stories. Perhaps they touched some hearts.

P. S. The luck held. Prayer works!
That is really great news!! I'm really glad to hear that, and I hope it holds for even longer. :D

P.S. I see that I'm missing a "by" after "fascinated" - I suppose I was too excited!
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS

Post by sarahmarlowe »

This sounds like a powerful book with a compelling story. It's a shame about the editing, though. That really can be distracting. Thanks for the thorough review!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:

Post by Manang Muyang »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 19:41 This sounds like a powerful book with a compelling story. It's a shame about the editing, though. That really can be distracting. Thanks for the thorough review!
I do hope the author will make the needed changes so the book can be even better.

Return to “Historical Fiction”