Official Review: The Scent of Heat by E. P. Sery

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 70
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: The Scent of Heat by E. P. Sery

Official Review: The Scent of Heat by E. P. Sery

Post by Momlovesbooks » 11 Jan 2019, 15:02

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Scent of Heat" by E. P. Sery.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Scent of Heat, by E. P. Sery, is a historical fiction novel set in the 1950's in Israel. It is a coming-of-age story of a 19-year-old girl trying to find balance in her life.

Ariella Paz is a young woman finishing her two-year service in the Israeli military. Her dream is to complete her service and go to America. She has relatives in the United States who have offered to take her in.

However, life takes a hard turn and Ariella spends her days working and her evenings taking care of her terminally ill mother. Her mother's illness is hard for all of Ariella's family, especially her younger sister. While trying to hold her family together, Ariella meets her boss's friend, Arik. Although he is older than Ariella, she is drawn to him and begins a secret courtship. He showers her with attention and spoils her with gifts and trips to Europe.

As their love affair continues, Ariella sees a darker side of Arik. She begins to realize her dreams of a happy future may be slipping away. She must make some important decisions that will change the course of her life.

The author has written a captivating story that pulls the reader in and won't let go. I stayed up late a few nights and couldn't put this book down. The story is well-written and seems to be professionally edited. I noticed few grammatical errors. The descriptions of the culture of Israel and the geographical area of that time are beautifully portrayed. I can tell the author thoroughly researched the background and wove it into the life of Ariella.

The characters are interesting and their personalities seem to fit that era. At times I felt that Ariella could be a little naive and was disappointed in her choices. However, by the end of the book, she showed growth and maturity. I was pleased with the ending. Another character I couldn't stop thinking about was her mother. Watching a loved one struggle with a terminal illness and the effects on the family is something all generations can relate to. It made me thankful for the great medical strides we've had in recent years.

Based on the entertaining story that stayed true to its time period and the pleasure I received from reading a well-edited novel, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It will appeal to readers that enjoy historical fiction, romance, and the bonds of family. I believe older teenagers can enjoy this novel, as the love scenes were not too graphic or inappropriate. I look forward to reading more from this author.

The Scent of Heat
View: on Bookshelves

Like Momlovesbooks's review? Post a comment saying so!

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Raven Dock by Sara Caldwell

Post by kandscreeley » 24 Jan 2019, 08:59

Interesting. This sounds very realistic. It's not just the normal, boy meets girl. They fall in love. They marry. The end. There are twists and turns and hardships. That makes it more intriguing to me. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Rose Harebate
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Rose Harebate » 24 Jan 2019, 13:40

Being a fan of romance, your review does a good job of portraying Ariella's love life in an informative and intriguing manner. Can't wait to give this book a try. Keep it up!

Jessacardinal
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading: Winning The War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Jessacardinal » 24 Jan 2019, 18:07

My heart breaks for Ariella considering all of the hardships she must face. Watching a loved one suffer from a terminal illness may stir up too many hard-to-handle emotions for those of us who have recently encountered the same fate.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 20
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 209
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by kdstrack » 24 Jan 2019, 19:34

This does seem like a very realistic story. The author contrasts story lines about a new married life and a painful death. It seems like a very emotional story. I loved your review. Thanks.

Lizabeth_29
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lizabeth_29 » 25 Jan 2019, 16:55

This story sounds very interesting, love how Ariella has this mindset of hopes and dreams and the motivation to never give up.

gen_g
Currently Reading: I, Claudia
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: Just Drive by Deke N. Blue

Post by gen_g » 29 Jan 2019, 00:14

I was debating whether to pick this up for review, and I'm glad that it was such a good read! I love a good romance, and this seems to be exactly it. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”