Official Review: Luck is Just the Beginning by Celeste Leon

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Re: Official Review: Luck is Just the Beginning by Celeste Leon

Post by gen_g »

I love well-constructed books, and this seems to be it. Coming-of-age stories always have a certain charm to them; I will definitely keep an eye out for this. Thanks for the review!
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

I love that you say the author paid attention to character-building. Stories with well-drawn characters are so much fun to read. Thank you for the thorough review!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

This sounds so incredible. I love character-driven books like this. It also sounds like the author has such a strong grasp of her setting(s). Thanks for highlighting what sounds like an awesome work by a Latina author. Adding this to my to-read list.
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

What a great review! You've made the piece seem exceptional, too, notwithstanding the editing flaws that you said are negligible given the book length. I admire the author's gesture of honouring his father. Even if it might be a bit quirky to place luck and faith side-by-side, the book's ability to uplift the soul and give hope has sealed the deal for me. Thus, I'm putting it into my reading list shortly. Thank you.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

Return to “Historical Fiction”