Official Review: Luck is Just the Beginning by Celeste Leon

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Ever_Reading
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 80
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading: Hunting for silence
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ever-reading.html
Latest Review: Luck is Just the Beginning by Celeste Leon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Luck is Just the Beginning by Celeste Leon

Post by Ever_Reading » 08 Jan 2019, 07:51

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Luck is Just the Beginning" by Celeste Leon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ram贸n Le贸n Carrasquillo is a 19-year-old Puerto Rican American. On November 17, 1944, he sees a number in the sky. He decides to buy a full sheet of tickets in the Puerto Rican lottery with all his savings. He bets the number he saw in the sky and hits the jackpot. He takes this as a sign from God for him to keep a promise he made years ago to Doctor Roberts. Roberts is the dentist who saved 8-year-old Ram贸n from a tooth infection. The dentist had the desire to open a clinic in Ram贸n鈥檚 village but fell ill. Hours before the dentist died, Ram贸n promised that when he grew up, he would carry the old man鈥檚 vision through. When word of his fortune spreads, villagers travel from far and near to see Ram贸n and ask for money. Ram贸n has another problem on his hands. His number was the same number a rich merchant, Se帽or Trujillo, had played for years. Se帽or Trujillo failed to play that number only on the day Ram贸n won with it. The merchant is now out for revenge and will not rest until he gets what he believes is his.

Ram贸n plans to move to the USA to study dentistry at Michigan State University. Achieving this dream will turn out to be harder than Ram贸n anticipated. He falls in love, faces rejection, gets his heart broken, and even spends a night in jail. A coming-of-age story, Luck is Just the Beginning is about a young boy determined to change his life and his village for the better.

Luck is Just the Beginning is the debut historical fiction novel by Celeste Le贸n. It is based on the true story of her father, Ram贸n Le贸n. Celeste Le贸n was named one of the 鈥淭op Ten New Latino Authors of 2017鈥 by LatinoStories.com and the Latina Book Club of New York. She has also had her short stories published in the well-known Chicken Soup for the Soul series. It took reading only a few chapters of Luck is Just the Beginning to realize that Le贸n is deserving of the many accolades she has received over the years.

Le贸n tells her father's story in a poignant and humble way. She weaves fiction and fact together so well, it's almost impossible to tell where the one ends and the other begins. I was immediately transported to the village of Maunabo, in Puerto Rico, as it was in 1944. The 350 pages of this unique tale evoked a plethora of emotions within me, from love and laughter to frustration and despair.

The main themes in the book are luck, perseverance, family, forgiveness, and faith. The real antagonist in the story is circumstance. Most of the conflict that arises between characters ultimately stems from the poverty and dire situations they find themselves in. Se帽or Trujillo is a prime example of this. At first, I despised him for his obsession with ruining Ram贸n鈥檚 life, simply because Ram贸n won the lottery and he didn鈥檛. Yet, as Se帽or Trujillo's story unfolded, I began to understand the roots of his desperation and anger. By the end of the book, I felt deeply sorry for him and his family.

Ram贸n Carrasquillo was perfect as a protagonist. It was an absolute joy to witness his transformation from a confused and impulsive boy, into a mature, driven and selfless young man. His persistence, courage, commitment, and willingness to succeed made me fall in love with him and his story. One time, after Ram贸n spent more than 20 hours working on his English essay, his professor accused him of cheating. Professor Rolf felt the essay was simply too good to have been written by Ram贸n. Nervous but determined, Ram贸n defended himself in front of the board at the disciplinary hearing. When he walked out victorious, I felt I had won as well, in some way. He was larger than life, a hero of sorts.

The book鈥檚 strongest point is the attention that was paid to detail. Every single character had substance. No one was simply included for the sake of moving the plot along. The same can be said about the setting and the era in which the story is set. The book aptly captured the soul and the spirit of that tumultuous period just before World War II ended. To my delight, the book was devoid of any glaring inaccuracies or anachronisms. The author also included actual pictures of Ram贸n and his family at the end. This added a realistic touch to the book

I rate Luck is Just the Beginning 4 out of 4 stars. A more accurate rating would be 3.5 out of 4 because the book contained a few editing errors. However, I chose to round the number up as these can be considered trivial, given the length of the book.

Other than that, there is nothing that I did not like about this book. I recommend it to young readers of historical fiction and romance. Please note that the characters in the novel are Catholic. As a result, the book has a religious undertone. Readers opposed to that might find references to religion distracting.

I look forward to reading more works by this author.

Luck is Just the Beginning
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ever_Reading's review? Post a comment saying so!
Here鈥檚 to books, the cheapest vacation you can buy.
鈥 Charlaine Harris :techie-studyingbrown:

Kelyn
2019 Reading Goal: 24
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading: Rowan Wood Legends
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelyn.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by Kelyn » 11 Jan 2019, 02:23

It's a shame that his good fortune had to be so overshadowed by greed and (apparently) racism as well. I wish we lived in a world where they didn't exist so that people, especially young people trying to improve their lives and those of others wouldn't have to fight against them. Biographical books really aren't my forte so I probably won't be reading this one, but I did enjoy reading your in-depth review. Thanks!
Some people can read War and Peace and come away thinking it's a simple adventure story...Others can read the ingredients on a chewing gum wrapper and unlock the secrets of the universe. (E. Cline - Ready Player One)

Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Sigfried鈥檚 Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Sweet Psamy » 11 Jan 2019, 07:25

I like the fact that every character had a major part to play and was not just included to move the plot along. Nice review.

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 8
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 243
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Memory Walker by Carly Marino

Post by kandscreeley » 11 Jan 2019, 09:15

This sounds quite intriguing. I would love to see a number in the sky and subsequently win the lottery. However, I would be the one that didn't play that number on that day and not win anything. Still, I don't think this is a book I would appreciate despite the great themes. Thanks!
鈥淭here is no friend as loyal as a book.鈥
鈥 Ernest Hemingway

Sarah Tariq
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 4
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 96
2017 Reading Goal: 15
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 46
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tariq.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Sarah Tariq » 11 Jan 2019, 11:51

The story is very interesting. I like that the plot has depth and characterization is strong enough. Thanks for this interesting review.
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

馃摃馃摉馃摪馃摀馃摃

SamSim
2019 Reading Goal: 120
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 1
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 24
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samsim.html
Latest Review: The Scary Snow Day by Kyle Derby Pratt
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by SamSim » 12 Jan 2019, 09:31

"Le贸n tells her father's story in a poignant and humble way. She weaves fiction and fact together so well, it's almost impossible to tell where the one ends and the other begins. I was immediately transported to the village of Maunabo, in Puerto Rico, as it was in 1944. The 350 pages of this unique tale evoked a plethora of emotions within me, from love and laughter to frustration and despair."
This sounds like a wonderful read, and I would have overlooked it if I hadn't read your great review. Thanks!
Samantha Simoneau

鈥淏ut upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:

Ever_Reading

Post by Ever_Reading » 13 Jan 2019, 08:59

Kelyn wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 02:23
It's a shame that his good fortune had to be so overshadowed by greed and (apparently) racism as well. I wish we lived in a world where they didn't exist so that people, especially young people trying to improve their lives and those of others wouldn't have to fight against them. Biographical books really aren't my forte so I probably won't be reading this one, but I did enjoy reading your in-depth review. Thanks!
Most definitely. Our world may not yet be ideal, but I think we've made major strides in the right direction. Glad you enjoyed the review. Thanks for dropping by! :D

Ever_Reading

Post by Ever_Reading » 13 Jan 2019, 09:01

Sweet Psamy wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 07:25
I like the fact that every character had a major part to play and was not just included to move the plot along. Nice review.
That always makes a book more relatable and realistic. Thanks for commenting :wink:

Ever_Reading

Post by Ever_Reading » 13 Jan 2019, 09:06

kandscreeley wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 09:15
This sounds quite intriguing. I would love to see a number in the sky and subsequently win the lottery. However, I would be the one that didn't play that number on that day and not win anything. Still, I don't think this is a book I would appreciate despite the great themes. Thanks!
I'm with you there. :lol2: Winning the lottery definitely wouldn't hurt. Then again, I don't have much luck with luck either.
Thanks for dropping by! :)

Ever_Reading

Post by Ever_Reading » 13 Jan 2019, 09:07

Sarah Tariq wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 11:51
The story is very interesting. I like that the plot has depth and characterization is strong enough. Thanks for this interesting review.
I loved the book and writing the review was an absolute pleasure. Thanks for your kind comments. :tiphat:

Ever_Reading

Post by Ever_Reading » 13 Jan 2019, 09:11

SamSim wrote:
12 Jan 2019, 09:31
"Le贸n tells her father's story in a poignant and humble way. She weaves fiction and fact together so well, it's almost impossible to tell where the one ends and the other begins. I was immediately transported to the village of Maunabo, in Puerto Rico, as it was in 1944. The 350 pages of this unique tale evoked a plethora of emotions within me, from love and laughter to frustration and despair."
This sounds like a wonderful read, and I would have overlooked it if I hadn't read your great review. Thanks!
The book was wonderful. I hope you get around to reading it. I'm glad you liked the review. Thank you! :D

Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: One Day in Lebanon by Lawrence Scofield

Post by Cecilia_L » 13 Jan 2019, 12:00

I loved your description of Ramon's character transformation. Thanks for the great review!

Sushan
2019 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal: 10
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 230
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading: There and Back There Again
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan.html
Latest Review: Sigfried鈥檚 Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Sushan » 16 Jan 2019, 22:01

Seemingly a really interesting book. Thanks for the nice and descriptive review 馃憤馃憤
"He has a right to criticize, who has a heart to help"

Abraham Lincoln

:techie-studyingbrown: $u$han 鈧琸anayak鈧 :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to 鈥淗istorical Fiction鈥