Official Review: Zimbabwe Falcon by David Maring

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Official Review: Zimbabwe Falcon by David Maring

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Zimbabwe Falcon" by David Maring.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Zimbabwe Falcon is a historical fiction book set in the land between the great Zambezi and Limpopo Rivers and is written by David Maring. 

The close of the 19th century is fast approaching, and the region between the Zambezi and Limpopo Rivers is dominated by the fierce Ndebele tribe. The region is home to the ruins of a great civilization known as the Great Zimbabwe. Cecil Rhodes, a great businessman, earmarks this historically rich region as the perfect place to establish a British colony. This would serve as the first step in extending British rule within the African interior. In 1890, Rhodes organizes the British Rhodesian Pioneers to march to the region and establish a settlement. The conflicts that arise are nothing short of epic as the region is home to a number of different ethnic groups.

Zimbabwe Falcon opens aboard the "King George" on a voyage to what was once known as the "Dark Continent", Africa. On board, we are introduced to a few of the lead characters. We meet sisters, Stacey and Grace Howard, who are on this voyage to reunite with their parents who had to leave them behind in Ireland years earlier in their attempt to seek a life of prosperity in Africa. We then meet Kinsey Marshell, a young man with dreams of establishing a flourishing mercantile business. All three end up settling in the new Rhodesian colony. Kinsey and Stacey even join the British Rhodesian Pioneers. This allows readers to follow the events that made history from a very human vantage point. We get to share in the high hopes, the sense of adventure, danger, and thrill felt by the pioneers and settlers.

Zimbabwe Falcon has an assortment of characters, all from differing ethnic backgrounds. We take an in-depth look at the thinking, motivations, and feelings of these characters who include Dutchmen, Afrikaners, British, Lemba, Shona, and Ndebele to mention a few. It was interesting to see how each character thought their ethnic group's mission was the will of God, despite some of these missions being almost irreconcilable with each other.

If you love history, then Zimbabwe Falcon is surely for you. Aside from the characters already mentioned, it contains notable historic characters such as Cecil Rhodes, Fred Russell Burnham, Lobengula, and Frederick Selous. It also covers a number of wars in the region, with the plot spanning over 30 years of history from 1888 to 1923. As you can imagine, it needs to be quite a lengthy book to cover all that content. However, I assure you, the content makes up for this as it is enjoyable to read.

Based on just the content of the book, Zimbabwe Falcon deserves 4 stars. Unfortunately, it contains quite a few spelling errors. Thus, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. If you love a good historical fiction book, then you will love Zimbabwe Falcon.

Zimbabwe Falcon
View: on Bookshelves

Like Kelebogile Mbangi's review? Post a comment saying so!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3008
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A Conflicted Slaveholder by Marge Cambre

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is an amazing book. I like reading historical books and I will have to read this too. Thanks for the amazing and enthralling review. Good job.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I love that the book includes a diverse cast. I usually enjoy historical fiction so I might give the book a try. Thanks for the review!
esthersamone
Favorite Book: Small Change
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esthersamone.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by esthersamone »

Zimbabwe Falcon has an assortment of characters, all from differing ethnic backgrounds. We take an in-depth look at the thinking, motivations, and feelings of these characters who include Dutchmen, Afrikaners, British, Lemba, Shona, and Ndebele to mention a few.
Waoh, am loving this book already. I am forming a mental picture of how it can be. Thanks for this review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the errors because I love that there's a diversity of characters here. Nevertheless, historical fiction isn't one of my favorite genres, and I know nothing about Zimbabwe. However, maybe this would be a great way to learn. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

It sounds as if the author did a good job bringing the characters to life while also presenting an abundance of historical knowledge.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

Although historical fictions aren't my fave, I do like reading books where I can learn from. This book sounds engaging and educative. thank
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
dublinkmy6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dublinkmy6.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by dublinkmy6 »

I like the review and I'm interested in the book already.
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

We get to share in the high hopes, the sense of adventure, danger, and thrill felt by the pioneers and settlers.

You just made this book more interesting! As someone who wonders what would happen to me if I live during that era, I think I would truly enjoy this book.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This book would be a good way to learn more about Africa and its development. It combines an impressive list of people with the fictional story. Thanks for your interesting review.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I love the fact that the story has an assortment of characters all from different ethnic backgrounds.Thanks for the wonderful review.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

The book offers a peek into the mind of the character.i. e their thinking, feelings, and motivations.This makes this book an exemplary read for me.I want to read this book.

Return to “Historical Fiction”