Official Review: Benjamin Street by Rick J Barrett

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Official Review: Benjamin Street by Rick J Barrett

Post by OloladeO »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Benjamin Street" by Rick J Barrett.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Benjamin Street by Rick J Barret is a fictional tale that follows the story of Jack Bartlett who has just turned seventy-five. He has lived a full life, acquired multiple awards in his career, but his real passion is his family. His recent medical check-up says he is a picture of perfect health, but he feels exhausted and sluggish.

Pulling onto Benjamin Street, he suddenly feels an epiphany and bought a dilapidated six-unit apartment on 418 Benjamin Street, Pontiac, Michigan. His intent is to renovate the building, even though it is close to a wrecking ball, in hope that he would find healing in the project. His friend and business partner, David Abramson, thinks he bought a worthless piece of property and is disgusted by it. However, Jack moves to make him see reason as the building holds so many memories that helped to shape him.

At the end of the book, I was a bit confused about the genre of the book because the name of the author and the protagonist are quite similar. The author has done a fine job in making the book real and relatable with pictures of the building and his style of writing.

Jack took David down memory lane to 1943, which was a time of war. He told him about Mr. Spinelli, Mr. Stewart, Mrs. Frazier, the Blooms, the Benjamin Bombers, and several others. The Benjamin Bombers comprised of his closest friends: Sam, Harry Bloom, Buddy, and Peachy. The author did an excellent job developing all the characters and giving them flesh.

Back then, Jack was called Skeeter, a nickname given to him by his parents. I wonder why he was given that name because, according to the book, Skeeter is a mosquito and Jack didn't have the qualities of the pest.

Several events in the book brought both laughter and tears. One that left me in stitches, was when Peachy tried to teach Sam, Buddy and Skeeter how to French kiss. Skeeter freaked out when he felt her tongue, ha! Harry Bloom, nicknamed ‘the worm’ by Sam, and Buddy Carnes have heart-wrenching stories about the effect the war had on them that would leave you deep in thought for days.

What I liked most about the book was the protagonist, Skeeter. He is known to be wiser than his years and the best friend to each of his friends. His kind-hearted nature showed when he asked his mom if they could switch apartments with Mr. Spinelli. Mr. Spinelli was sixty-seven-years-old and was having trouble climbing up and down the stairs because he lived on the second floor.

There was nothing I didn’t like about the book except for the errors. There are punctuation errors on almost every page. More than halfway through the book, I encountered several grammatical errors that made it seem like the editor got tired. The errors comprise of missing words, extra words and wrong words. In chapter 26, page 172, the sentence “I couldn’t wait them to come out for the traditional meal” is missing a word. Due to the errors, I sadly have to rate Benjamin Street 3 out of 4 stars. The book deserves a thorough round of editing.

I recommend this book to anyone who likes a good read and likes short stories, though about the same set of people. If you like an action-packed novel, this is not the book for you.

Benjamin Street
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like OloladeO's review? Post a comment saying so!
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Oh dear. I read over your review quickly and for a moment I thought Jack was actually a mosquito and not human. I almost lost my mind. :lol2: Nonetheless, this sounds like a fun read. The bit about the french-kissing had me rolling. This is not my kind of book but I am glad you enjoyed it. Hope the author takes it through a few more rounds of editing. Thanks for the review. :D
TJanowski23
Currently Reading: Winning the battle against sin
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjanowski23.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by TJanowski23 »

Grammatical errors really upset me while reading. It is one of my biggest pet peeves. I hope this story get some more editing. It sounds like it has potential. Thanks.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Skeeter definitely sounds like a kind and interesting character. This just sounds a bit slow paced for me. I'm afraid it's not something I would enjoy. I'm glad that you liked it, though. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
OloladeO

Post by OloladeO »

kandscreeley wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 11:13 Skeeter definitely sounds like a kind and interesting character. This just sounds a bit slow paced for me. I'm afraid it's not something I would enjoy. I'm glad that you liked it, though. Thanks for the review.
Thank you for reading and commenting. Skeeter is indeed an interesting character.
OloladeO

Post by OloladeO »

TJanowski23 wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 08:02 Grammatical errors really upset me while reading. It is one of my biggest pet peeves. I hope this story get some more editing. It sounds like it has potential. Thanks.
It upsets me as well, but it definitely has potential. Thanks for reading and commenting.
OloladeO

Post by OloladeO »

Ever_Reading wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 01:35 Oh dear. I read over your review quickly and for a moment I thought Jack was actually a mosquito and not human. I almost lost my mind. :lol2: Nonetheless, this sounds like a fun read. The bit about the french-kissing had me rolling. This is not my kind of book but I am glad you enjoyed it. Hope the author takes it through a few more rounds of editing. Thanks for the review. :D
Thanks for reading and commenting. I enjoyed reading your comment.
esthersamone
Favorite Book: Small Change
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esthersamone.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by esthersamone »

...the name of the author and the protagonist are quite similar.
For a number of times now, I have been asking myself whether it is possible as an author to distance oneself from the characters one creates. Thanks for the review.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I really enjoyed reading your review. The characters in this book seem very realistic. Too bad about the grammatical errors. I might give this a try soon. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

Jack sounds like a realistic character. At the end we all realise what mattered the most. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”