Official Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Official Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Iron Crossed" by Renata Rose and Phil Rose.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Iron Crossed by Renata and Phil Rose is definitely an outstanding piece in the biographical genre. I was expecting a boring war story (it’s not really a genre I’ve exposed myself to too much), and I may have even been a tad biased towards it, but I picked this book up anyway because I wanted to “try something new”. I was pleasantly surprised.

This book is centered around the life story of a German, Martin Schlaefer, and how his ordinary life got turned upside down by the Second World War. Martin was a bright and strong fellow who lived happily with his family and friends, despite the poverty they were forced to endure at their farm in the countryside. On his way to becoming a successful carpenter, Martin received a sudden letter saying that his services were needed at the Westwall (along with those of many other men; including his friends, Paul and Alfred). His initial excitement at the prospect of going to new places and learning new things quickly turned into exhaustion. Unfortunately, this feeling stayed even as he was stationed from one place to another in order to aid Hitler’s plans for war (he didn’t really have much of a say in the matter). It was only natural that, afterwards, he was drafted into the army, and eventually into a secret service, the élite Brandenburger Commandos that operated for “special purposes” or missions. The book takes us through the rigorous training he had to endure throughout. He received three highly regarded medals, the Iron Crosses, due to his courage. The post-war world also had its own share of struggles, but Martin only wished to live in peace with Leni, his wife, and his children. In order to do this, he had to flee Russian-occupied Germany to Australia with his family.

Iron Crossed is written by Martin’s daughter, Renata, but is told mainly through Martin’s perspective. This is done quite well, as even though it wasn’t Martin who wrote the book, it seemed like he did. I felt as if I was privy to all of his thoughts and emotions (and occasionally that of other characters as well). This makes it very enjoyable for a person like me, who doesn’t necessarily like biographies too much, which is mainly because I can usually tell that it was written by someone else. What sets this book apart is that I don’t feel a distance between the protagonist and myself. In a sense, you could say, there is an authenticity to it. Another thing I loved is that all the characters, no matter how minor, felt real; the book does this only through a brief line or two that provides insight into their lives. This technique is one that I came to admire as I not only got to appreciate minor characters, but the focus was still on the protagonist; I wasn’t subjected to long life stories that went off track from the one we were initially focusing on. It also occasionally calls out the time’s practices for what they were, i.e. misogynistic (especially when it comes to sex songs, and objectifying women). Another aspect of the book that I really enjoyed is that it makes the readers think and question things they know to be true. It is important to understand that Martin’s diligence was not due to a love for Nazism; it wasn’t a hatred of Jews or a racist sentiment of Aryan superiority. It was rather a combination of obligation (he didn’t have much of a choice in how his life took shape), and to do what was right for his country. Generally, a World War II book would not be narrated from a young German soldier’s perspective, but I believe a conversation like this is needed. By showing that he, too, had his own great struggles and reservations, despite ultimately serving Hitler, the book presents to us a complexity of human life; it shows us that not everything is as black and white as it seems.

Iron Crossed is definitely a worthwhile read, and I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. It does, however, have minor spelling errors, and missing commas here and there. There was also a point in the book where I felt a bit “creeped out”. Specifically, when Martin’s sexual experiences were being narrated. It wasn’t the narration itself that was uncomfortable, rather, it was the realization that Martin’s daughter was behind it. All in all, none of these negative aspects took away from the book, and I was very glad I picked it up. I would recommend it to people who don’t necessarily explore biographies like myself; this could be a good gateway into that genre. I would not recommend it to those who find graphic war details disturbing, however. I also wouldn’t recommend it to those people who don’t have a high tolerance for engineering details as that has a lot to do with Martin’s experiences.

Iron Crossed
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sahar Majid's review? Post a comment saying so!
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

well the story is about the life experiences of a German citizen Martin who went through many unwanted events during the journey of his life. You have done a great job. Thanks for your review.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I'd like to give this book the subtitle The War of the Roses (from an old film). I'm glad Renata was able to portray her father's life realistically. Though the Nazis are usually recognized as villains, I realize that there were those among them who were also helpless victims like Martin.

Thanks for the insightful and enlightening review!
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Well, this definitely does not seem like your average WWII-centered biography. I agree. The perspective would merit some interest. The "creep out" element was indeed...unsettling. Still, I'm glad it did not detract from the reading experience. Thanks for this review.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This seems like a well-constructed read with a good cast. I'm definitely intrigued by the premise. Thanks for the review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's definitely a unique perspective. Most WWII books are from the Jews or the soldier's position, not a Nazi. You've got me curious. I'm glad it was well done, too. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

The storyline of this book does sound interesting since it is of a German soldier. The "creeped out" moment does give me hesitation, and I am not sure whether I would want to read this book because of that. Nevertheless, you have done a great job in your review.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: LaBlance Fish Tales Two by Peter F LaBlance
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I already have this book and now I am thinking of reading it sooner. Nice review. Thanks for sharing 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

War has a war of transforming people in ways they never anticipated. I want to read this emotional read.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

By showing that he, too, had his own great struggles and reservations, despite ultimately serving Hitler, the book presents to us a complexity of human life; it shows us that not everything is as black and white as it seems.
So true about tough actions we sometimes undertake in life. Your review highlights the salient features of this book so well. Like you, I think a daughter detailing the sexual experiences of her father would feel a tad uncomfortable, but the same sounds like an interesting read. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Historical Fiction”