Official Review: Red Creek by Peter Silverman

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Red Creek by Peter Silverman

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Red Creek" by Peter Silverman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Peter Silverman's Red Creek follows the relationship between Kay Cosgrove and Alex Dunhaigen. Nearly five years have passed since the tragic circumstances that separated them in the prequel, Hancock Hill. Set in a small Pennsylvania town during the racial tension of the early 1960s, the story resumes after the couple reunites.

This historical fiction reflects the political unrest and racial tension that affected the country in the 1960s. In love since high school, Alex and Kay have experienced personal losses that affect them both physically and emotionally. As they seek to rebuild a life together, Alex struggles to protect his invention--a device that could have a transformational impact on the world but also puts them in danger. Meanwhile, with mounting racial tensions across the country, Alex learns some disturbing news about his sister, Maureen. With the help of their families and friends, they must overcome wealthy and violent adversaries who seek to harm them.

The most engaging aspect of the story is the author's evocative portrayal of Alex's creekside sanctuary behind his parents' home. Whether quietly reflecting on the past or celebrating exciting news with Kay, Apple Creek becomes his place of solace. The author's picturesque descriptions such as "Alex clearly saw in his mind glistening rocks and slanting sunlight and felt on his face the early breeze carrying the scent of fresh greenery..." conjure images of the peaceful retreat. I could almost hear the sound of the creek trickling over the rocks.

On the other hand, instead of striking a romantic chord, I found the descriptions related to the couple's intimacy repetitive and bordering on syrupy. Though Alex and Kay are both flawed, their characters lack depth. The contrast between Alex wrestling his inner demons and Kay's practically perfect responses to his brooding wasn't realistic. Of the characters represented, I found Alex's sister, Maureen, most relatable. I admired the way the author balanced her disturbing reactions to racial conflict with her tenderness and affection for her brother.

The book is exceptionally edited as I didn't note any errors. Even so, it would be strengthened by more attention given to character development and fewer flowery romance scenes. Since both of these issues detracted from my overall reading enjoyment, I rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to readers who appreciate leisurely-paced romance novels. It will also appeal to fans of historical fiction related to the racial tension of the 1960s. Due to the language, sexual content, and plot-related violence, I recommend the book to mature audiences only. It's likely that readers who prefer a plot that moves at a quicker pace would not enjoy this one.

Red Creek
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Oh, syrupy and slow. Probably not for me then. Great review.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds like there's a lot going on here, but I'm not sure it's developed fully. The slow nature is probably not for me, but I appreciated your review. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Helen_Combe wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 04:29 Oh, syrupy and slow. Probably not for me then. Great review.
Thanks for stopping by and for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 09:01 It sounds like there's a lot going on here, but I'm not sure it's developed fully. The slow nature is probably not for me, but I appreciated your review. Thanks.
Thanks for your comment. :tiphat:
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I enjoyed reading your review. It sounds like it would be better if the romance was downplayed and how the relationship was impacted was the main focus.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Vscholz wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 18:32 I enjoyed reading your review. It sounds like it would be better if the romance was downplayed and how the relationship was impacted was the main focus.
I agree. Thanks for your comment.
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Thanks for another great review! It sounded like a good read until you discussed the poor character development. It is difficult for me to get into a story without being able to connect with the characters. Thanks, again!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 04 Jan 2019, 12:06 Thanks for another great review! It sounded like a good read until you discussed the poor character development. It is difficult for me to get into a story without being able to connect with the characters. Thanks, again!
Yes, me too. Thanks for your kind comment. :tiphat:
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

The cover of Red Creek is so beautiful and alluring, however, the synopsis of the slow pace sounds a bit dull for my own personal reading preference. I am impressed by the lack of any errors!
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I love the fact that the book was exceptionally edited.It would encourage an uninterrupted reading flow when I get to read it.

Return to “Historical Fiction”