Official Review: We Are All Americans by Richard A Radoccia

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Official Review: We Are All Americans by Richard A Radoccia

Post by Samy Lax »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "We Are All Americans" by Richard A Radoccia.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

We Are All Americans by Richard A Radoccia recreates the events leading up to the American Civil War and describes the time during the war when too many had to sacrifice existence and home for the principle of human equality. Categorized as historical fiction, the book goes far beyond typical war-themed works. There are a handful of characters introduced in the book, but the focus is on three key historical figures— Abraham Lincoln, Jefferson Davis, and Frederick Douglass.

In We Are All Americans, the author explores a fresh way of storytelling by letting commentary from on-scene reporters of the war, including Danielle Burke and Jackie Chase, do the talking about what’s happening moment to moment. The book moves between the northern and southern states (the two sides that endured the war), allowing many different settings, issues, strategies, and points of view from either side to come to our attention.

Though the Republicans had gained power through constitutional means, the slave states had started seceding in an attempt to change the status quo with respect to slavery. Even before Lincoln had taken the oath of office, the governor of South Carolina had set the ball in motion to consider secession. Soon after, many southern states were inspired to follow South Carolina’s example and join the Confederate. Things take yet another drastic turn as soon as Lincoln is sworn in: he is forced to raise an army to protect Federal property as South Carolina starts bombarding Fort Sumter. Douglass is seen to realize, subsequently, that time has come to allow the conflict to happen as the matter of freedom vs. slavery was something that couldn’t possibly be solved without a full-fledged war.

The book feels like a well-laid-out documentary. Each protagonist in We Are All Americans seems to talk about factual events while themselves being witness to a soul-stirring time of human struggle. In chronological order and through quotes from the historical figures mentioned above, we see how the political struggle between the Union and the Confederate progressed and ultimately ended. We read all about how Lincoln valiantly stood by the cause of abolishing slavery, even when faced with the possibility of not being reelected again (something I am sure not many politicians of today are courageous enough to do). This book masterfully shows us how the United States came out of the Civil War stronger and more “united” than before.  

The author shares many photos, political cartoons, and original newspaper clippings from the civil war days throughout the book. Right at the end of the book is a section titled “Image Credits” that provides more information on what happened in those days. The book itself comes full circle, beginning and ending in a time of peace where people have better things to do than wage wars.

There are a few grammatical errors, but I did not find that they distracted me from the flow of the book. For example, there are occasional articles left out at certain places and some misplaced punctuation marks. These minor errors are negligible in the full context of the book, but a detailed proofread would bring this book to the next level. 

I found the book to be long enough to be informative and short enough to qualify as an easy read. Taking all these points into consideration, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I feel a deep connection with the main characters in this civil war story as they journey through the fear, sadness, and subsequent victory that comes with any kind of long-term conflict. Overall, the narration is compelling, and the messages presented throughout the book are moving and thought-provoking. I would recommend this book to fans of historical fiction and to anyone who feels that some of our world leaders need a fresh new look at the story of humanity. However, if the thought of bloodshed and images from the war impact you too negatively, this might not be too appropriate for you.

We Are All Americans
View: on Bookshelves

Like Samy Lax's review? Post a comment saying so!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Darlynn_Tebogo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlynn-tebogo.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo »

I usually find books about the civil war hard to get through. It sounds like this would make a great audio book. The book sounds informative, will definitely be reading it. Great review overall.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This is an interesting take on historical fiction as it's from the eyes of reporters. I haven't seen that before. The pictures and clippings sound like an added bonus. I'll look it up. Thanks so much!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

I haven't heard of this one before. It sounds very informative, and I love the idea that it is written from three points of view. Thank you for your excellent review!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Cthrlopez
Currently Reading: Winning the War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cthrlopez.html
Latest Review: The Life and Lessons of a Young Author by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Cthrlopez »

I enjoyed reading this review, especially since it showed me an example of what a quality review should consist of. I am interested in reading the book. Thank you for your review.
Urchman1584
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Urchman1584 »

The review is so comprehensive, detailed, well spelled out and summarized. The book seems to be informative. I'm going to read the book. Thank you for that review.
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

Darlynn_Tebogo wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 05:32 I usually find books about the civil war hard to get through. It sounds like this would make a great audio book. The book sounds informative, will definitely be reading it. Great review overall.
Yes, it was really informative. And most importantly, it didn't put me to sleep.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! :text-happynewyear:
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

kandscreeley wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 13:13 This is an interesting take on historical fiction as it's from the eyes of reporters. I haven't seen that before. The pictures and clippings sound like an added bonus. I'll look it up. Thanks so much!
Yeah. The approach the author took to provide us with first-hand information about the proceedings of the war made this book stand out from the crowd.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! :text-happynewyear:
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 04 Jan 2019, 12:10 I haven't heard of this one before. It sounds very informative, and I love the idea that it is written from three points of view. Thank you for your excellent review!
Yes, the points of view from people who actually witnessed the events unfolding makes the whole thing even more credible.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! :tiphat:
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

Cthrlopez wrote: 05 Jan 2019, 06:30 I enjoyed reading this review, especially since it showed me an example of what a quality review should consist of. I am interested in reading the book. Thank you for your review.
I am so glad I could convince you to read the book.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I would love to read what led to the American civil war. I appreciate your review.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: LaBlance Fish Tales Two by Peter F LaBlance
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Seemingly a nice historical fiction. Nice review. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Samy Lax

Post by Samy Lax »

Urchman1584 wrote: 06 Jan 2019, 03:25 The review is so comprehensive, detailed, well spelled out and summarized. The book seems to be informative. I'm going to read the book. Thank you for that review.
Yes, the book is truly filled with the most authentic information. You'd love reading it!

Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

The title of the book caught my attention. Given the great division in America right now, it seems hopeless and overwhelming. Obviously not having lived during the Civil War and the time leading up to it, I know the facts but not what people were really feeling or their perspectives (specifically from three main Americans). I hope reading this book will provide insight to better understand the tumultuous time we are living in right now. I really enjoyed your review. Thanks!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Return to “Historical Fiction”