Official Review: Lara's Story by Diane Merrill Wigginton

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Official Review: Lara's Story by Diane Merrill Wigginton

Post by Fu Zaila »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Lara's Story" by Diane Merrill Wigginton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Diane Merrill Wigginton has done an outstanding job in penning down the misery and heartbreak of an Irish immigrant in her latest book titled Lara’s Story. It is a historical fiction set in the backdrop of the great famine in Ireland and mid-nineteenth century Philadelphia. Lara’s Story, while fictional, borrows heavily from real-life incidents and some of the lesser-known names in history also make an appearance.

The novel starts with Lara, a young lady of twenty-one, narrating the tale of her family and childhood to her fiancé. Lara Flannigan was born in Dunmore Head, Ireland, to Rory and Laurel Flannigan. Her Da and Mama were the proud parents of six children. Being twelve years old, Lara was the youngest of them. Laurel Flannigan dies while delivering her seventh child, which puts their whole family into depression. It was 1845, the time when Ireland was impoverished by a horrible famine called Potato Blight. Lara’s family, who owned a potato field, suffered great loss as a result. Her father, indebted and with no means to pay the rent, signs an agreement to their landlord Lord Horatio Henley, agreeing to trade his daughter Lara as compensation.

Young Lara, depressed by her mother’s death and her father’s betrayal, is taken to the landlord’s home. From there she escapes after hitting her landlord Lord Henley, while he attempts to assault her. Enduring severe malnourishment and poverty in the streets of Ireland, Lara is finally rescued by Charity and Zane Roscoe, an American couple who were visiting Ireland. Charity and Zane bring her back to Philadelphia and adopt her. After severe mistreatment and sorrow, Lara finally finds a home in their bungalow. She also befriends Ella Blackthorn, sister of her father’s supervisor Roman Blackthorn. Trying to fit in with the elite society, Lara is still plagued by the haunting events of her childhood. But the remnants of her past catch up with her. The way she manages to tackle them and ultimately conquer her grief and loss forms the subsequent part of the novel.

This book is incredibly well-written. Wigginton’s prose is almost lyrical, managing to weave emotions and profoundly touching sentences with immense ease. It reminded me of Arthur Golden’s ‘Memoirs of a Geisha.’ I admired the resilient nature of all the characters. There were several inspiring moments, especially when Lara and her friend Ella Blackthorn very briefly meet and discuss woman empowerment with Sarah Worthington King Peter. Sarah’s character, as revealed in the author’s note, is based on a real person. The family and relationships in this novel are also noteworthy. The best of them was Lara’s character development. From a clueless child to a mature young woman, Lara’s growth is so profusely blended within the lines, I couldn’t help being motivated. It got me thinking how deeply I can impact the society if I tried, instead of merely existing and doing nothing. Her story, as incredible as it is, leaves the reader dumbfounded and aware of their own potential.

Because she was portrayed as a saintly character with little to no flaws, I found Lara’s character a little unrealistic. I also did not like how clueless she seemed to be regarding other people’s feelings for her. While Wigginton gave enough time for the romance to develop, I was not overly impressed with the love interest, Roman Blackthorne. I felt he was too overbearing and possessive, like the time when he found Lara kissing another boy and refused to speak to her for almost four months. But I did like their relationship eventually.

There were a few cases of missing quotations or spelling mistakes, but the book is undoubtedly professionally edited. I wouldn’t reduce a star owing to the slight discrepancies with the characters, because this book had a huge impact on me. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. Lara’s Story is categorized as young adult, but don’t let that banner dissuade you from reading it. Unless you’re extremely sensitive to mentions of abduction and abuse, I would recommend this book to everyone regardless of age and gender. I wouldn’t hesitate to pick another book by this author.

Lara's Story
View: on Bookshelves

Like Fuzaila's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Lara seems a bit too good to be true for me. Though the writing sounds fabulous, historical fiction must be incredibly special for me to pick it up. I don't think this is it. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

It sounds like a great book. I like it when the characters aren't so perfect either. Thanks for the review!
:tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I agree that Lara seems unrealistic. Overall, it sounds like I would have trouble relating to these characters, but thanks for the interesting review
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I like it when authors' prose are almost lyrical. A poetic touch to it is something I really like as a writing style. I want to read the book because of it, but seeing that you said it would cause discomfort to people who don't want to read about abuse and abdcution, I think I'm havung second thoughts. I imagine these scenes vividly that I could carry those images for weeks. Thanks for the review though!
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Because she was portrayed as a saintly character with little to no flaws, I found Lara’s character a little unrealistic.
I must say that this sentence made me laugh out loud! Good for you for calling this out. I love a good, honest review. I may have to check this book out, though. It sounds very interesting.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 18:10
Because she was portrayed as a saintly character with little to no flaws, I found Lara’s character a little unrealistic.
I must say that this sentence made me laugh out loud! Good for you for calling this out. I love a good, honest review. I may have to check this book out, though. It sounds very interesting.
I'm glad I could entertain with my review :D You must definitely try this book regardless!
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

Even though it sounds like a great read, I'm not big into historical fiction--especially YA. I love YA, but the historical aspects cause me to hesitate. (I do read some historical romance--Eloisa James and the like--and I've read the Gemma Doyle trilogy by Libba Bray as far as historical YA goes.) I'll have to think more about it but I do appreciate your review.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I always enjoy good character development, and this seems to be mostly the case here, except for the slight Mary-Sue tendencies. The premise is interesting, and I might pick this up after the little kinks have been ironed out. Thanks for the lovely review!
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I used to read historical fiction quite often but that was a long time ago. Your review makes me think that I just might have to give that long-lost habit a jumpstart, however! I love all things Ireland and am very interested in its history. It sounds like at least the beginning of the book includes quite a bit of it mixed in with an intriguing fictional storyline. I don't mind that Lara seems a bit saintly, there have to be a few good kids out there still, right?!?! Thanks for the review!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I am not really into this sort of books. But I enjoyed reading your review. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Historical Fiction”