Official Review: The Sugar Merchant by James Hutson-Wiley

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Official Review: The Sugar Merchant by James Hutson-Wiley

Post by kislany »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Sugar Merchant" by James Hutson-Wiley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Thomas is just an eight-year-old boy living in England when his family is killed during a raid. He runs away through the dense nearby forest, but, as the days go by, he is becoming hungrier and hungrier, until he steals a loaf of bread from a faraway church before he is ruthlessly chased down, only to narrowly escape from severe punishment by running away once again.

During his aimless travels across the country, he meets a kind monk who takes him to the Benedictine abbey of Eynsham, where Thomas begins his new life full of adventures.

This is the premise of The Sugar Merchant by James Hutson-Wiley, a book that has been translated from an ancient manuscript the author once found within the Cairo Genizah collection at the Cambridge University Library. He painstakingly translated it, put it together in a book form, and, where the text was illegible, he took some fictional liberties with it while keeping the general factual accuracy of those times. The story is a long letter to Thomas’s son in a diary format. It is a coming-of-age tale about Thomas Woodward, describing his life between 1066 and 1098.

Although Thomas didn’t have it easy growing up, he embraced everything he did with passion, most of which revolved around his devotion to the Church, along with his training as a fighter, merchant, and spy, all which would serve him well later on while living in faraway lands.

The story grabbed me because of the author’s detailed descriptions of the various places during the 11th Century in England and the Middle East. We experience the clash of cultures and beliefs between Christianity, Judaism, and Islam, and we see the unfolding of a strong but dangerous commercial revolution. The research was meticulous for this book, especially concerning the religious upheaval during those times and the international trade between Europe and the Middle East.

We also catch a rather unusual aspect involving the monks at the abbey: their knowledge of fighting, which is one of the skills they passed on to Thomas. During his journey to distant lands, he had several opportunities to prove the survival skills he once learned at the abbey. The scene with him rescuing his friends from prison was one of my favorites in the book.

Thomas completed his scholar duty to the abbey without neglecting his life as a merchant away from home. I could relate to his torment about his diminishing faith in God, as opposed to his growing love for material things, especially as he would become richer and richer through his sugar trade and his new way of life.

He often faced serious life challenges and questions that put his faith to the test. When given the choice between renouncing his religion to marry the Muslim woman he loved or not marrying at all, he was really conflicted, and when he found another solution that didn’t involve relinquishing his faith, you could hear his relief all the way to the 21st Century.

While the book was intriguing and a delight to read, I came across a few editorial issues, such as not using commas between two independent clauses joined by a coordinating conjunction and using a semicolon instead of a comma or a colon when the latter were more suitable. Some additional errors I found were “the brothers access to” instead of “the brother’s access to,” “was not Andalusi, Arab nor Berber,” instead of “was not Andalusi, Arab, or Berber,” and “prayed God” instead of “prayed to God.”

Despite these grammatical and punctuation issues, I rate The Sugar Merchant 4 out of 4 stars because the story was excellent, I was captivated throughout, and I was glad to read a piece of forgotten history set in the medieval times. It is an endearing tale, and if you like character-driven historical fiction novels which also include moments of action and adventure, you will have a marvelous time with this book. In addition, lovers of all things business and economics will have fun reading about the emergence of early trade. People who only read fantasy, sci-fi, or contemporary novels might not enjoy this book so much.

The Sugar Merchant
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kislany's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm not a huge historical fiction fan nor do I like business. Therefore, I don't think this book would appeal to me. I saw this on the review list, but I didn't want to read then. Great review, though. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a really lovely tale; although it might not be historically accurate, I appreciate the fact that the author took artistic liberty to weave a complete story. I'll be placing this on my to-read list. Thanks for the lovely review!
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 951
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: The Angel of Hoheneck by Ivan Fredrikson

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I like how the author kept the factual accuracy of those times while taking some fictional liberties. I have a thing for historical fiction. Hence, this book seems up my alley.

Thank you for the detailed review.
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

OOOH. I am excited to read this one! I love that someone took the time and effort to translate an old text. This is going to the top of my want to read list. Thanks for eloquently bringing it to my attention.
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

What an interesting piece of history! I wonder why Thomas' son gave away his father's letter. Or was the son able to read it at all? Would any of Thomas' descendants eventually claim the manuscript? Only time will tell.
JordanKSmith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordanksmith.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JordanKSmith »

That's really cool that this was translated from an ancient manuscript! I wonder how many other great stories are waiting to be revealed. It sounds like this could be a true classic with a little bit of editing. :)
If it looks bad, you've zoomed in too far.

Unconditional love is impossible until you can look at yourself without judgment.
(9 of 175 Books by 12/1/19)
Darlynn_Tebogo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlynn-tebogo.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo »

I've never been a fan of historical fiction novels but because this one has been translated from a manuscript, I might give it a go. Thank you for such a great review.
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Thank you for your thorough review! I love books with a history of their own. It seems to add another level to them. I may have to give this one a try. Thanks, again!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: LaBlance Fish Tales Two by Peter F LaBlance
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Seemingly a nice adventure book. Thanks for the detailed review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

Though he had a hard start in life, Thomas sounds like a balanced character with a little bit of everything.Nice review.
Okeke Dorathy amaka
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Okeke Dorathy amaka »

This is a historic noval and it is quite interesting while reading,Although Thomas didn’t have it easy growing up, he embraced everything he did with passion, most of which revolved around his devotion to the Church, along with his training as a fighter, merchant, and spy, all which would serve him well later on while living in faraway lands.

Return to “Historical Fiction”