Official Review: No Dark Clouds by R W Nelson

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Official Review: No Dark Clouds by R W Nelson

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "No Dark Clouds" by R W Nelson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

No Dark Clouds by R W Nelson is a Christian fictional account that entwines the lives of Jesus (from the point He started getting popular for His teachings to His Ascension), seven beggar children (The Beggar Boy, Aditya, Scooter, Rebekah, Baa Foo, Figs, and the deformed baby), and a Roman Centurion, Leonidas. The story revisits some of the miracles performed by Jesus. It also shows how the Jewish elders grew to hate Jesus for proclaiming that He is a King. This then leads to Jesus' arrest, trial, crucifixion, and resurrection.

The story kicks off by introducing the reader to the beggar children, with most of them working as slaves for "Taskmaster". The characters of the beggar children are inspired by actual beggars in India, and the author does a wonderful job of painting a picture of what their struggles are like. It was very touching to see how the children had to beg each day, submit the proceeds to Taskmaster, and get punished if they didn't make enough money.

I really enjoyed the character development in the story, especially that of The Beggar Boy (later given the name "Zachary" by Jesus). Zachary was sold into slavery at a very young age. He had to go begging each day and return proceeds to his master, just like most slaves. However, his master was very cruel to him and ended up giving him scars on his face for not meeting his daily target. Zachary had to find a way to escape, which he did. His experiences made him stronger and able to fend for himself alone in the world, but it also made him so angry. I liked how his search for Jesus to heal his face changed him. When he finally got to meet Jesus, he learned about forgiveness.

The story also includes the theme of friendship, which was shown by the beggar children's relationship with each other. I also liked the author's style of writing in a descriptive way. This made me feel like I was watching the story as a movie. However, the author seemed to not be too descriptive when it came to scenes with violence. This favoured me, as I am not a fan of gore, but people that enjoy gore will not like those scenes.

I found No Dark Clouds very educational, especially after the end of the story, where the author included a lot of scriptures and prophecies from the Bible. I also liked that it included "The Beatitudes of Jesus". This is definitely a part of the book that I would go back to study. The book is well edited and well organized. I found only two errors in over 500 pages of reading, which I consider to be excellent. This helped me flow through the novel easily without putting it down. The timeline in the story was also very easy to follow. As there is nothing I disliked about No Dark Clouds, I rate it a solid 4 out of 4 stars. I would recommend this book to fans of historical fiction. People that want to learn more about the teachings of Jesus will also find this book interesting.

No Dark Clouds
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like prospero360's review? Post a comment saying so!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Sounds like a neat book. I haven't heard about that miracle before. I'll keep this book in mind. Thank you!
:tiphat:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I reviewed this one as well. It was a lovely story. A bit of a different take on the life of Jesus. The children are something special for sure. Thanks for your thoughts on this one.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
tam_akangbou
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tam_akangbou »

I like reading historical fiction. I’m not sure I like the plot of this story though. Nice review.
Seun419

Post by Seun419 »

I'm always up for different interpretations of the story of Jesus. Thank you for the review.
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

Bible stories are the most uplifting stories on earth. I admire your review.
Willy 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willy-1.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Willy 1 »

I have never seen a Bible story interpreted in this manner, seems like an interesting book and I'll definitely read it soon. Nice review.
Standor96

Post by Standor96 »

I like that this book teaches about friendship and forgiveness more than anything. I'll love to read this book. Thank you for the review.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I see this story narrating a compelling version of the life of Jesus.Being a christian, I would love to read it.
PGreen
Currently Reading: Beneath the Muscle
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pgreen.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by PGreen »

If the characters of the beggar children were inspired by those in India, I wonder how this differs from Israeli character or culture. Regardless, this sounds like a good read on many levels!
THarveyReadALot
Currently Reading: Special Deliveries
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tharveyreadalot.html
Latest Review: A Police Action by A. A. Freda
Reading Device: B07G92J7J3

Post by THarveyReadALot »

Good review! I'm not sure I could've written it like that if I'd tried harder. I had too much story content in mine because I enjoyed the story a lot, but that's because I'm a Christian. Anyway, I hope very many people read this book! The story and Bible Studies are really good!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A Christian fiction following the lives of beggars kids , especially the Beggar boy, and their interactions with Jesus in biblical Jerusalem sounds original. Adding scriptures and prophecies from the Bible enrich the tale. Not for me, but I am glad you found it educational, enjoyable, and well edited. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Sanyesto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanyesto.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Sanyesto »

I have never seen a Bible story interpreted in this manner, seems like an interesting book and I'll definitely read it soon. Nice review.
abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by abbiejoice »

It's really an inspiring book. The reader will be touched by the suffering of the poor and innocent children in the story.
saimi_v
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saimi-v.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by saimi_v »

I really like how the book deals with the subject of people in Jerusalem after the resurrection of Jesus, I liked how you treated the youngest and how descriptive is the story. It will be a book that I will put on my to-do list to read.

Return to “Historical Fiction”