Official Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard L. Bend

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Official Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard L. Bend

Post by lesler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Odessa Legacy" by Dr. Richard L. Bend.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard L. Bend, main character Rick opens the story in a plane to Argentina, confused about how his life has turned out. His wife Laurie has been cheating on him, and he confronted her about it. Needing to clear his head, Rick takes a solo vacation to Argentina, where he meets a local elderly man named Archie. After Archie experiences some almost fatal luck, Rick helps tend for the man, and in turn, gains Archie's trust. Fearing he does not have much time left, Archie takes Rick on a journey he could have never imagined.

The story changes from present day to the immediate post World War II era, where some notable Nazi leaders have fled to Argentina to avoid persecution. There is one infamous character described in this story that everyone has heard about, and this historical fiction portrays what could have possibly happened to this evil man of history. Along with the famous Nazi leaders comes the folklore of hidden treasure and gold, and the men in the present day must find this treasure before more evil men do. Will the men succeed? Will Rick forgive his wife? Only time will tell in this stunning thriller.

I loved this story and was enthralled the whole way through. I've always heard the rumor that Nazi leaders who were not charged fled to South America, and this story takes this rumor and puts evidence behind it. I connected strongly with Rick and felt he was an excellent main character who I wanted to root for. There were multiple romantic side-stories throughout the book, keeping the reader engaged through the romantic scenes in the book.

This book is the first of a series, so there was a cliffhanger at the end of the book. I loved the historical fiction part of the storyline, but the sensual writing scattered throughout the book made me uncomfortable. I'm no prude, but the graphic nature of these scenes distracted me from the historical storyline and seemed out of place. I found one typo in the book, making this book appear to be professionally edited. The writing, in general, flowed well, and the author provides vivid imagery in his descriptions. The story could easily be adapted into a history channel series, minus the sex scenes.

I give The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard L. Bend 3 out of 4 stars, for its vivid imagery, strong main characters, and interesting storyline. I deducted a star for the out of place sex scenes. I recommend this book for any mature history buff wanting to know about the Nazi leaders in the time directly following the Second World War.

The Odessa Legacy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like lesler's review? Post a comment saying so!
TJanowski23
Currently Reading: Winning the battle against sin
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjanowski23.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by TJanowski23 »

Thanks for the review. This sounds worth looking into.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Interesting. I'm sure there are Nazi leaders who were never found and lived the rest of their lives out without an issue. This book definitely sounds interesting on that note. Thanks so much for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I know what it'says like to want to clear your head when someone has been cheating on you. This is my kind of read.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

I would love to know about the Nazi leaders in the time directly following the Second World War. I appreciate your review.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I couldn't get into the sample when I read it. I don't think this book is for me.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This book sounds intriguing, but I am interested in seeing how the two storylines go together. Maybe this trip will be a fresh start for Nick after learning about his wife's infidelity. Thanks for the fantastic review!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

The book sounds interesting, but the fact that sexually explicit scenes were included for no reason does put me off a little. Still, thanks for the review!
Scerakor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

I'm a sucker for historical fiction and this one with famous Nazi leaders and the folklore of hidden treasure and gold is sure to please!
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: The Ripsons
Bookshelf Size: 416
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 23%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm not into historical fiction, but this novel seems interesting, making a good use of historical events to create an intriguing plot. Thank you for your informative review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I love historical fiction and this is in my lane.. I’m guessing you are talking about the evil man Josef Mengele? I’m excited to read this and maybe I’ll just skip the sensual scenes. Thanks for your review!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an interesting historical fiction novel that highlights critical WWII secrets, war, infidelity, power, and a conflicted protagonist. It is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has a well-written OnlineBookClub review. I rated it 4 out of 4 stars. Congrats on the BOTD.
skindrukas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skindrukas.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by skindrukas »

The historical part of the book sounds interesting but I'm not a fan of stories about relationships, neither sensual scenes. So I'll skip this one for now.
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipochashe.html
Latest Review: Body in the Woods by Behcet Kaya

Post by Chipochashe »

Thank you for the review. The story sounds interesting. The historical fiction is intriguing. Thank you for the heads up on the erotic scenes.
:D Only God gives the strength to smile in the face of death.
Tavaiel26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tavaiel26.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tavaiel26 »

Thanks for the review... It's funny that you mention the book speaks about Argentina I would have never thought that reading the book Synapsis which includes the sentence "Vacationing in a run-down resort on a shark-infested island in the Caribbean " Argentina is definitely not shark-infested... or in the Caribbean...

We did get a lot of Nazis though, so that checks out. Now I am even more interested in seeing what goes on in this book and how the Caribbean gets into the story.

Return to “Historical Fiction”