Official Review: Daughters of the Dance by Armida Nagy Rose

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
User avatar
Sunnyroyish
Posts: 347
Joined: 26 Jun 2018, 11:55
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Official Review: Daughters of the Dance by Armida Nagy Rose

Post by Sunnyroyish » 11 Dec 2018, 05:35

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Daughters of the Dance" by Armida Nagy Rose.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review


Hardly had I come across a book that combined history, love, war, slavery and spirituality into one beautiful story. Daughters Of The Dance by Armida Nagy Rose is one of them. The story is about a family of female dancers Dara, Ayana and Nona living in Curacao Island.

Ayana woke up after two years of suspended mental state. She suffered from severe depression after getting departed from her husband, Stefan. Sandor, who was the complete opposite of Stefan, always had sexual intentions towards Ayana. He separated the two lovebirds at the time of World War 2. Ayana, who was bearing the child of Stefan, went back to her mother Dara and gave birth to Nona. Time passed, and Nona grew to be a beautiful young lady. She fell in love with a handsome young man, Ariel. Sandor became a powerful barrister and a candidate for a judgeship in the Dutch Antilles. However, his days of happiness were soon going to be over. Awiti, who was the slave of Sandor, was often sexually exploited by him. She couldn't tolerate more when she came to know that her daughter had a relationship with Sandor. She made a plan, and with the help of Yellie, she taught Sandor a lesson. After completing her PhD in Art History, Nona soon married the love of her life and gave birth to a child Myra. They moved to Trinidad and lived happily thereafter.

The life of Dara, Ayana and Nona were captivating. The story was heartbreaking but also inspiring. The plight of slaves, especially women of the mid-20th century was disheartening to read. Also, the mass murder of Jews during World War 2 was covered very well. Stefan was one of the victims because he was a Jew. The Geopolitics of different European nations during that time was elaborately discussed to make the story more relatable. Even though the story is transpiring at the time of a war, it has a strong spiritual dimension to it. Ayana is portrayed as a very spiritual lady. According to Ayana, her dance is a way to experience the divine. Even sex is a tool for her to experience bliss and ultimate union. I think Ayana was the most well-developed character in the book. Other characters such as Dara, Nona, Sandor, Stefan and Ariel were also developed well. The book was very informative. It had everything such as Art, History, Politics, Eastern Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality. The author must be an expert in History to write all those things. There are different languages used in the book such as Dutch, German, Ladino, Papiamentu and Spanish. However, the meanings of these words are given at the end of every chapter. I struggled to understand those words because I was reading a Kindle version of the book.

There is a little about the book that I disliked. It felt that the ending was overstretched. The story could have ended earlier because Sandor was punished and almost everything was sorted out. But it's entirely my opinion and other readers can differ on that aspect. The book was mostly error-free. I spotted minor typos here and there that hardly affected the reading experience. I found some unusual bold letters in the book. Overall, the book was enjoyable and informative.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The minor typos didn't really affect the quality of the book. Hence, the score must be 4 out of 4. The book is recommended to those who like art, history or love stories. There is a lot of sexual content in the book. So children should stay away from it.

******
Daughters of the Dance
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Sunnyroyish's review? Post a comment saying so!
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.

User avatar
Jessacardinal
Posts: 98
Joined: 21 Dec 2018, 17:49
2019 Reading Goal: 40
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 5
2018 Reading Goal: 40
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Jessacardinal » 05 Jan 2019, 11:01

I can’t help but think about how incredibly confusing and terrifying it would be to wake up after two years. It sounds like it would be hard to read through the gloomy topics covered in this book, but also enlightening to those who may not know much about the times of slavery and war. I like the idea of the reader being able to expand upon their vocabulary via the mix in languages. It’s too bad the author couldn’t find a different way to define the words within the immediate text. Ultimately, while I adore a great love story, history usually isn’t my cup of tea. This sounds like an intriguing read for the right audience.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham

User avatar
Sunnyroyish
Posts: 347
Joined: 26 Jun 2018, 11:55
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Sunnyroyish » 05 Jan 2019, 13:01

Jessacardinal wrote: ↑
05 Jan 2019, 11:01
I can’t help but think about how incredibly confusing and terrifying it would be to wake up after two years. It sounds like it would be hard to read through the gloomy topics covered in this book, but also enlightening to those who may not know much about the times of slavery and war. I like the idea of the reader being able to expand upon their vocabulary via the mix in languages. It’s too bad the author couldn’t find a different way to define the words within the immediate text. Ultimately, while I adore a great love story, history usually isn’t my cup of tea. This sounds like an intriguing read for the right audience.
The story is great but it's definitely not for everyone. Thanks for your comment.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.

User avatar
ButterscotchCherrie
Previous Member of the Month
Posts: 2843
Joined: 29 Apr 2017, 02:00
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 8
2018 Reading Goal: 104
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 65
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 50
Currently Reading: Mindfulness and Sleep
Bookshelf Size: 198
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-butterscotchcherrie.html
Latest Review: Fubar by Kenneth Underwood
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ButterscotchCherrie » 05 Jan 2019, 16:55

I like the sound of the spirituality and dance themes in this book, as well as the setting. I'd love to visit that part of the world someday. Thanks for a fascinating review!

User avatar
Sunnyroyish
Posts: 347
Joined: 26 Jun 2018, 11:55
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Sunnyroyish » 05 Jan 2019, 19:43

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: ↑
05 Jan 2019, 16:55
I like the sound of the spirituality and dance themes in this book, as well as the setting. I'd love to visit that part of the world someday. Thanks for a fascinating review!
Thanks for commenting.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.

User avatar
Shrabastee
Posts: 960
Joined: 23 Mar 2018, 00:38
2019 Reading Goal: 30
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 13
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 185
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 303
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shrabastee » 05 Jan 2019, 20:48

As you stated in the beginning of your review, this book is indeed unique in its contents. I believe this book will be for mature audience considering the heavy subject matter. Thank you for providing us with a succint review. I enjoyed reading it.

User avatar
Lunastella
Posts: 512
Joined: 27 Apr 2018, 16:22
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Currently Reading: El baile de las luciérnagas
Bookshelf Size: 652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lunastella.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Lunastella » 05 Jan 2019, 21:46

It had everything such as Art, History, Politics, Eastern Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality. The author must be an expert in History to write all those things. There are different languages used in the book such as Dutch, German, Ladino, Papiamentu and Spanish. However, the meanings of these words are given at the end of every chapter. I struggled to understand those words because I was reading a Kindle version of the book.
This story is full of everything I love! I enjoy very much WWII books and the spiritual side of this one makes it an original and very interesting read. I'm glad the characters are well-developed or it could've ruined an awesome plot.
It's also a great asset that the author includes the meaning of foreign words.
A very thorough review, thanks!

User avatar
Sunnyroyish
Posts: 347
Joined: 26 Jun 2018, 11:55
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Sunnyroyish » 06 Jan 2019, 05:54

Shrabastee wrote: ↑
05 Jan 2019, 20:48
As you stated in the beginning of your review, this book is indeed unique in its contents. I believe this book will be for mature audience considering the heavy subject matter. Thank you for providing us with a succint review. I enjoyed reading it.
Yes, mature and intelligent audience is needed to fully understand the profoundness of this book.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.

User avatar
Sunnyroyish
Posts: 347
Joined: 26 Jun 2018, 11:55
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Sunnyroyish » 06 Jan 2019, 05:55

Lunastella wrote: ↑
05 Jan 2019, 21:46
It had everything such as Art, History, Politics, Eastern Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality. The author must be an expert in History to write all those things. There are different languages used in the book such as Dutch, German, Ladino, Papiamentu and Spanish. However, the meanings of these words are given at the end of every chapter. I struggled to understand those words because I was reading a Kindle version of the book.
This story is full of everything I love! I enjoy very much WWII books and the spiritual side of this one makes it an original and very interesting read. I'm glad the characters are well-developed or it could've ruined an awesome plot.
It's also a great asset that the author includes the meaning of foreign words.
A very thorough review, thanks!
Yes, it's a well-written novel.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.

User avatar
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Posts: 6727
Joined: 31 Dec 2016, 20:31
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 6
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: The Fire Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by kandscreeley » 06 Jan 2019, 10:04

I'm glad that you enjoyed this one. It seems like it has some great themes in it. Due to the sexual content, I'm not sure it's for me. I appreciated your review, though. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

User avatar
melissy370
Posts: 742
Joined: 15 Nov 2017, 09:49
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 » 06 Jan 2019, 15:32

There are parts of this book I would probably enjoy like the historical features. Unfortunately, I am not a fan of the sexual content, so I wouldn't read this one. Thanks for your review.

User avatar
Sunnyroyish
Posts: 347
Joined: 26 Jun 2018, 11:55
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Sunnyroyish » 06 Jan 2019, 21:23

kandscreeley wrote: ↑
06 Jan 2019, 10:04
I'm glad that you enjoyed this one. It seems like it has some great themes in it. Due to the sexual content, I'm not sure it's for me. I appreciated your review, though. Thanks.
I'm glad that you enjoyed my review!
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.

User avatar
Sunnyroyish
Posts: 347
Joined: 26 Jun 2018, 11:55
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Sunnyroyish » 06 Jan 2019, 21:25

melissy370 wrote: ↑
06 Jan 2019, 15:32
There are parts of this book I would probably enjoy like the historical features. Unfortunately, I am not a fan of the sexual content, so I wouldn't read this one. Thanks for your review.
Thanks for commenting!
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.

kdstrack
Posts: 1782
Joined: 10 May 2017, 19:49
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 6
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: A Light in the Window
Bookshelf Size: 195
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Hologram Deception by Ed Sheehan

Post by kdstrack » 08 Jan 2019, 15:47

I enjoyed your description of the different generations. I appreciate the warning about the sexual content. Thanks fora thoughtful review.

User avatar
Sunnyroyish
Posts: 347
Joined: 26 Jun 2018, 11:55
2019 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 48
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunnyroyish.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Sunnyroyish » 08 Jan 2019, 21:26

kdstrack wrote: ↑
08 Jan 2019, 15:47
I enjoyed your description of the different generations. I appreciate the warning about the sexual content. Thanks fora thoughtful review.
Thanks for your reply.
Life is just a parenthesis in the vastness of infinity.

Post Reply

Return to “Historical Fiction”