Review by Amanda Deck -- Skills of the Warramunga

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Review by Amanda Deck -- Skills of the Warramunga

Post by Amanda Deck »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Skills of the Warramunga is a well written, informative, interesting suspense novel by Greg Kater. It’s the third in the trilogy but can be read just fine on its own.

Two war buddies, Jamie Munro and Jack O’Brien, are called from Australia to the jungle of Malaya to track and rescue a kidnapped British officer, Colonel Johnny Cook. Johnny had been their boss in Cairo during World War II; now they will be back together – if they can find him. Jack, nicknamed Jacko, takes his younger half-sister Sarah with him as she is an excellent tracker, an Australian Aborigine used to tracking in the Aussie bush, but able to transfer her skills to the jungle. Once they’re all in Malaya, they discover there are plots afoot to disrupt a planned change of government. A combined contingent of German and Japanese hiding out after the war’s end wants control, the native Malayans want independence, and the Communist party is courting the natives to rule the country themselves.

All these different groups bring their best fighters with unique-to-their-own-group skills to bear in the many conflicts. Kidnapping, murder, interminable jungle treks for the kidnapped and searchers all play into the suspense. Add in professional jealousies, a couple of mysteries, politics, and some sweet romance and you’ve got a story that should appeal to a larger audience than only lovers of history and war stories.

Wonderfully differentiated characters, evocative settings, and suspense all interweave with historical events to make you want to keep reading. The word choice and the character interactions enhanced the setting by making the time period clear. I felt lost at the beginning because of the military acronyms, organizations, and ranks. The author did a good job of seamlessly fitting in the information throughout, but I still wasn’t always sure exactly what the position of specific persons entailed. That’s just my unfamiliarity with them, looking up a few things helped. It didn’t cause me too much trouble and I followed the story pretty well.

Something I disliked is Sarah’s description. Though she is hailed as a remarkable tracker, respected and almost held in awe, the author has her giggling like a three-year old throughout the story. Even after she and her brother kill several dangerous bandits, her high pitched giggling while being sure they’re dead makes Sarah come across as a psychopathic child, very off-putting. Then there was the phrase ‘nip it in the bud’, overused to the point of abuse, though this may have been deliberate.

Everything else was perfect. It’s written with British spelling, grammar, and punctuation, and appears professionally edited. The author takes us to vivid settings in the jungle, limestone caves, tea plantations, and harbors in this peninsula of the South China Sea, under high-stakes conditions with realistic characters. I enjoyed it greatly, recommend it, and happily rate this 4 out of 4 stars.

Skills of the Warramunga
View: on Bookshelves

Like Amanda Deck's review? Post a comment saying so!
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

I have been considering reviewing this book myself, and your insightful review has led me to add this to my reading list. Thank you!
Amanda Deck

Post by Amanda Deck »

I hope you enjoy it like I did. Time for me to go find the previous ones too. Reading the sample of the first book in the trilogy made me want to read it but I doubted it was my kind of story; by the time I saw this one show up, I had to. I'm glad I did.
Flowers123
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flowers123.html
Latest Review: Fragments by Bruce K. Berger

Post by Flowers123 »

This book sounds intriguing. It well-written plot that is supported by a cast of well-developed characters reveals the author's ability to captivate his audience. I've read lots of cute sayings about the other two series of the Warramunga trilogy, and It seems this third volume has lived up to expectations. Thanks for this excellent review.
Amanda Deck

Post by Amanda Deck »

Cute sayings? I can't even imagine, I'll have to go read some of those reviews!
I was surprised how interested this book got me in discussing this area of the world and the events covered with my sons and their history buff dad.
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

How risky to include his younger sister, Sarah, to go to Malaya and became their tracker on a jungle. But, it add more interesting because though risky, they were able to do an important mission which is to rescue a Colonel. Hmmm... this book sounds interesting. Hope I can read his. Thanks for the review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”