Official Review: The War and Hannah Thaller

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Official Review: The War and Hannah Thaller

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The War and Hannah Thaller" by Ronald McQueen.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The War and Hannah Thaller is the third book in the Drava series, written by retired academic Ronald McQueen. As a child, the author was fascinated by the tales recounted by his parents of their experiences during the war. He developed an interest in what he calls the “small stories” of World War II and decided to compile them into this captivating novel. This book is largely Hannah’s story who, it turns out, is the author’s mother. It begins in the small town of Lienz in southwestern Austria, in the years leading up to the outbreak of the second world war.

Hannah Thaller is a girl growing up under the care of her uncle, August Thaller, who is an alpine mountain man and a highly trained marksman. At the start of the war, their little village is overrun by Nazi soldiers due to its strategic location. The townsfolk have to adjust to the new reality of living with their brutal occupiers in spite of the difficulties. Through this, the story of Hannah is the central theme. Her simple, carefree world is shattered by the stark horrors of war, and she is unwittingly drawn into it. Her story is exciting and unpredictable, starting off as a member of the Hitler Youth and then working at the local Gestapo headquarters. She is even accepted into the prestigious Luftwaffe, the elite German air force. The narrative is told in the third person, with the focus alternating between Hannah’s story and the experiences of her uncle, August.

August Thaller had previously served in the Kaiserjäger, the Kaiser’s rifle regiment based in the Tyrol region during World War I. In a series of flashbacks to his involvement in the Great War, the threads of the past and the present are woven together. August Thaller’s recollections also serve to re-introduce characters from the first two books in the series, soldiers who fought alongside him in battle. It is not imperative to have read the earlier books to understand this one; it can be read on its own and still enjoyed fully.

I was impressed by the strong characterization in this novel, particularly of August Thaller. August is shown to be a strong, quiet, principled man who is well-respected by family and friends alike. Hannah is his beloved niece and is endearing and likable. I felt able to sympathize with her and had the sense of a childhood lost while growing up in war-torn Austria. The author paints a poignantly moving picture of the war with skillfully chosen words and powerful descriptions. It was easy to become immersed in another world while reading this book and I was so captivated that it was difficult to put down at times.

I loved every aspect of this book and read each chapter with relish. Meticulous research has been done to make sure the events are portrayed as accurately as possible. In addition, the author adeptly incorporates the personal anecdotes of his parents whose romance began in Austria towards the end of the war. This book is historical, but it is also to some extent biographical. Knowing these characters are real lends even more appeal to the story.

If I have one criticism, it is that sometimes the oscillating back and forth between August’s flashbacks and the present can be a little taxing. Although the flashbacks are clearly subtitled, there are many of them, and the memories are not always strictly linear. This sometimes impedes the flow of the story. Although I enjoyed reading about August’s military experiences in the previous war, I found myself anxious to get back to Hannah’s tale which interested me more.

There were only a few errors in the text, mostly consisting of issues with line and word spacing. Additionally, the under-use of commas in certain places sometimes made the text a little difficult to read. Generally, I found the editing to be of a very high standard, and the story was compelling enough to overlook these errors entirely.

The book draws to a close with a historical tragedy of which I was previously unaware. At the end of the war, the town’s residents invite the British troops into Lienz to help restore peace and stability. However, this results in one last horrific act of betrayal, the effects of which have far-reaching consequences.

The War and Hannah Thaller will enchant lovers of historical fiction and non-fiction alike, and anyone who enjoys war stories will revel in this one. The appeal of this book is very broad, and both men and women would enjoy it. Children and teenagers likely would not appreciate the historical depth of this book. Readers who prefer a faster-paced plot with fewer descriptions should not attempt it; neither should those who find historical details tedious. Apart from the requisite bloodshed usually encountered in war stories, there is no sensitive content to be aware of. Occasional mild expletives (mostly in German) are used, but these are infrequent and cause no offense.

This is an exceptional and extremely well-written story. While books in series don’t usually appeal to me, I can honestly say that The War and Hannah Thaller is an exception. I unreservedly give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars as the minor errors in no way detract from an amazing literary experience.

The War and Hannah Thaller
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like sonya01's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow. This one sounds quite poignant. I do enjoy learning more about history when it's done in an entertaining way. This definitely seems to fit the bill. I'll put it on my list for sure. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Sonya, your review has piqued my interest in this book--well done!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: LaBlance Fish Tales Two by Peter F LaBlance
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I love WW related fiction, and I enjoyed your review. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A historical fiction telling the story of a girl who grew up in Austria during the outbreak of War World II sounds enlightening. This is based on a true story? It is good that the book was well researched and mostly well edited. I don't care for war stories, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the review.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

I would be interested in reading a book that takes place in Lienz, Austria. The small stories sound gripping.
Erick Muyesu
Favorite Book: The Spirit of Want
Currently Reading: Mine Boy
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erick-muyesu.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Erick Muyesu »

Historical books are intriguing especially when you want to learn few things from the past. A story of Hannah who grew up in Australia during the world war II sounds interesting. An awesome review.
jolener23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jolener23.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by jolener23 »

I can't wait to get my hands on this book! Also, amazing review. Thank you!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

I am a historical fiction fan and I loved following this story. It was a bit hard to read through some parts but I found that, "The hardest parts to read through usually have the greatest impact on readers"...me
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I like historical fiction books. This sounds like an interesting novel describing the outbreak of world war 2 and its impact on a girl in Austria. This was a great review of the book.
seki1016
Currently Reading: The Eleventh Commandment
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seki1016.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by seki1016 »

I feel like it is a good historic fiction reading the review. I would like to read the entire book.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I love novels that are based on real life events and it sounds like the author did a wonderful job of revealing his mother's story to us. I'm glad you don't have to read the other books in order to understand what is going on. Great review!
Anjali+1
Favorite Book: The Last City of America
Currently Reading: The Survival of the Richest
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anjali-1.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by Anjali+1 »

' History happens twice because people don't listen in first time'. After facing such a devastating World War 1, our ancestors didn't understand and move on to WW2. :(

Reading about History is always inspirational for me as it illuminates me about mistakes committed by people and inspire me to take correct decisions if I find myself in similar situation. :)

I hope to read the book soon. Thank you for your review. :tiphat:
00LynnMarie
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-00lynnmarie.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by 00LynnMarie »

I enjoy historical books, but I never read a series out of order. World War II has always fascinated and horrified me. I always wonder how anyone could go along with Hitler, but who knows what lengths one would go to in order to protect their family. Congrats on BOTD!
"There are times when the world is rearranging itself, and at times like that, the right words can change the world." - Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

Not so sure about series' but, the review somehow changed my mind.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'

Return to “Historical Fiction”