Official Review: The Sword of Retribution by John Tuman Jr.

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Official Review: The Sword of Retribution by John Tuman Jr.

Post by ritah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Sword of Retribution" by John Tuman Jr..]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Sword of Retribution by John Tuman Jr. is a riveting historical fiction novel that vividly images the lesser-known history of the brutal injustices that spurred the Cossacks Uprising and the indelible impact the wars had on all the key players: The Polish nobles, Jews, serfs, and, of course, Cossacks. Being the first book in the Sword Trilogy, the narrative takes a deep dive into seventeenth-century Ukraine and Poland and the oppressing hand of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.

After escaping death by a hair’s breadth, Ivan Dosiak’s childhood is haunted by the memory of his family being brutally torn apart by the same men who grabbed his father’s estate. Determined to exact vengeance upon them, he earns his stripes as a skillful warrior, which gains him the moniker “Red Wolf.” As the years go by, Ivan finds himself at the forefront of many Cossack battles. Even as he leads his fellow warriors in destroying Caffa and freeing tens of thousands of slaves on one of the biggest sea raids against the Tatars, he still yearns for revenge against those who destroyed his family, but will he ever find them and carry out the acts of retribution he has dreamed of for years?

This was not only an excellent and engrossing read but also quite informative. Tuman seamlessly weaved historical figures into the narrative, such as Bohdan Khlemnystky, Wladyslaw IV, Ivan Bohun, Jeremi Wiśniowiecki, and Tugay Bey, all of whom played key roles alongside the main fictional characters. In addition to that, despite this novel being a fictional account, there were a good number of actual significant historical events dating back to the seventeenth century (mainly focusing on the year 1648) expertly incorporated into the narrative.

Written in the third-person, the story moves along at a fast pace while still giving a broad perspective on the main cast’s motivations and reactions to unfolding events. There simply was not a dull moment, from the beginning all the way to the end as the action, adventure, various battles, and hints at the main character’s romances filled its pages. Graphic descriptions of violence, murder, rape, and adult scenes make this book an intense read suitable for a mature audience and certainly not for the fainthearted.

What adds to this great story is the author’s superb descriptions of place, period, and atmosphere. The sword fights, gunshots, and cries of wounded men placed me in the battle scenes. Further, the excellent characterization of the characters made it easy to picture them and gain a clear understanding of their distinct personalities and complexities. Additionally, the interesting plot twists added intrigue to the story and kept my eyes glued on its pages.

All in all, I enjoyed reading Sword of Retribution and the value-added information that came with it. As a result, I look forward to the yet to be published next book in the series. I highly recommend this novel to history buffs and fans of this genre. Although the book is well-written and I would have liked to award it a 4-star rating, the number of errors counted despite the book’s length does not allow me to do so, which is why I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars.

The Sword of Retribution
View: on Bookshelves

Like ritah's review? Post a comment saying so!
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

Sounds like a great book. I like that there is a lot of excitement from beginning to end. Thank you!
:tiphat:
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I like it when an author is able to weave fiction and fact together seamlessly. It makes the book both enjoyable and educational, which seems to be the case here. Great descriptions, good characterization and a heart-pounding kind of plot - what more can a reader ask for? I hope the author gets an editor on board as this book sounds terrific. Great review. :D
Ice dragon
Currently Reading: The last oracle
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ice-dragon.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Ice dragon »

Sounds like an intelligent piece for the bloodthirsty, my sort of book!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad this was engrossing and educational, but it's just not my genre. You do a great job detailing it, but I'll pass. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This seems very interesting. I like when a book has good characterization. This is a very detailed summary.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White

Return to “Historical Fiction”