Official Review: Finding True Home by Heidi M. Thomas

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Official Review: Finding True Home by Heidi M. Thomas

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Finding True Home" by Heidi M. Thomas.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Finding True Home by Heidi M. Thomas is a historical fiction novel. It is the sequel to Seeking the American Dream. It follows the story of a German immigrant and the hardship she faces. The protagonist, Anna, tries to raise her family while dealing with difficult situations that life throws her way.

Anna has just gotten back from visiting her family. Her husband, Neil, is supportive of her need to visit the only relatives she has. She is disheartened to learn that her neighbours considered her desperate trip to see her family, a vacation. She soon learns that she is expecting their third child, Elizabeth. She struggles to raise her children while trying to help her husband on their farm. She has no one to confide in and her neighbours have already shown their dislike for her German heritage. Anna meets with a fellow immigrant who advises her to stop worrying about what people are thinking about her. Will she be able to take this advice to heart? With restrictions on how women act, will she be able to raise her children without outside influence? How will she handle the hardships of life? The author writes an amazing story that highlights the struggle women faced, especially German immigrants, in a society that required them to be submissive. The bias the protagonist faces from her neighbours was something I followed intently. The book is amazing and I do not want to give away any spoilers.

The author highlights plenty of themes in this book. The main theme, in my opinion, was bias. The protagonist and her family are judged by their heritage and not their actions. Another form of bias I encountered in this book is gender bias. Monica, Anna's daughter, is denied the credit for her hard work. The women of the neighbourhood suggested that her parents do everything for her. We know this to be false. In a society where women are not allowed to outshine men, statements like this are normal. The other themes I encountered were commitment, love, loss hard work and determination. The author uses these themes masterfully to not only make the characters interesting, but to also make the plot memorable.

The character development in this book was amazing. We get to see the protagonist question how she deals with life and how she grows from every experience. We also follow the protagonist's daughter and how she grows to be a strong, opinionated, hard-working woman. The book is follows the life of the protagonist and that of her family's for decades. We get to see each child grow to adulthood and follow the protagonist's relationship with them.

I rated the book 4 out of 4 stars. The story was captivating and I found myself invested in the protagonist, from the beginning of the book. The book had no spelling or grammatical errors and that led me to believe that the book was professionally edited. The story flowed effortlessly and I read the entire book without taking a break. The author did a commendable job writing the book in the perspective of various characters. This made me relate to their choices and understand them better.

I would recommend this book to all historical fiction fans and fans of literary fiction. I enjoyed reading this book and I would suggest that readers first start with Seeking the American Dream.

Finding True Home
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ferdinand_otieno's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a great book about being yourself no matter what and perhaps about isolation as well? It sounds like I would need to start with the first book first, but this is worth looking into. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Being a historical fiction fan, I think I'll enjoy this book. Thank you for the great review.
gazal88888
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by gazal88888 »

This is really interesting. Thanks for the update.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

Historical fiction is one of my favorite genres. I'm definitely going to like this one. It also had good characterization, which is a plus for me. Thanks for this review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I don't think that I will like this book. But I enjoyed your review. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

I like reading historical fictions. I would start it reading with Seeking the American Dream. Thanks for a sweet suggestion.
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:
CharleneIsaga0823
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by CharleneIsaga0823 »

This is a great book, anyone should read this book because they can learn something from this book. I love reading and this books promote how equality is important to every individual which a plus for me.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Thank you for the thorough review! After reading it, I want to know more about Anna and her family. I may have to go back and catch the first book in the series.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This book had a very dark moment when the protagonist lost her daughter. As a parent, I cannot begin to imagine living through that. I cannot Imagine forgiving those who took my child from me.
What are your opinions on this aspect of the plot?

Return to “Historical Fiction”