Official Review: Zealots by Jim Mcivey

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Official Review: Zealots by Jim Mcivey

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Zealots" by Jim Mcivey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Zealots is an emotion-stirring historical fiction book. It is written by Jim Mcivey, and it set just a few years before the start of the first century in Israel.

Marcus has put his family in a precarious situation, but what choice did he have? Seven years earlier, he, along with many other Israeli men, were conscripted for military service in the Roman army as part of King Herod’s contribution to the great empire. Due to his impressive skill in archery, Marcus excelled as a legionnaire. For seven long, terrible years as a legionnaire, he was separated from his wife and children. When those seven years finally came to a close, Marcus was relieved at the thought of finally reuniting with his family. Upon arriving in Caesarea, Marcus is shocked to learn that he is being promoted to the position of being a centurion and must embark on another five-year tour after a short leave. He makes up his mind there and then that he will not waste anymore of his life in service to Caesar. He deserts the army and goes into hiding with his family. As a result of his desertion, he is marked as a traitor of the Empire. A reward is offered for his capture. Knowing the brutality with which the Romans deal with their enemies, Marcus is forced to take drastic measures to ensure the safety of his family – he joins the Zealots.

As mentioned earlier, Zealots evokes heavy emotions within its readers. This is achieved in the suspenseful plot and the skillful depiction of the unjust society in which Marcus and his family live. The author has portrayed the Judean society under the rule of the oppressive Roman empire through the eyes of a devoted, faithful Jewish family and a young Armenian slave-girl who becomes part of Marcus’ household. The corruption, brutality, and self-righteousness exhibited by prominent Jewish leaders and priests was shocking to read about. Even more heart-wrenching was reading about the methods employed by the Romans to break and subdue opposing forces. This all led to a clear picture and understanding of who the Zealots were and why they rebelled against Herod’s, and by extension, the Roman’s Rule.

What I found hard to digest was the amount and severity of tragedies that Marcus’ family goes through. This is especially so since they are quite lovable. Their humility, faith, love for each other, and appreciation for the simple things in life endeared them to me. And so, it was especially difficult to read through some of the horrendous things they experience. I actually had to stop reading on occasion and garner up the emotional strength to read on. Though I must admit that this is ultimately one of the signs of a good book.

Where historical events are mentioned or referred to, the author generally keeps events as accurate as possible. Though on a few occasions he did change a few facts; these are discussed in the “Author’s Note and Historical Record” at the end of the book. Those who appreciate a good historical fiction book will savor this book. If you are a sensitive, you might want to steer clear of this book as it contains quite a number of tragic events. I rate this epic book 4 out of 4 stars.

Zealots
View: on Bookshelves

Like Kelebogile Mbangi's review? Post a comment saying so!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I like that this book has a suspenseful plot; it makes me want to pick it up to read. Marcus is a character I'd love to read more about. I hope he was able to save his wife and children in the end. Thanks for the beautiful review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! This sounds incredibly realistic and emotional. I can't imagine being conscripted into any type of service for that long without being able to see your family. I don't know that I blame him for deserting, but I can't even begin to imagine what he and his family go through because of it. Thanks for the review. It's going on my list.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ice dragon
Currently Reading: The last oracle
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ice-dragon.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Ice dragon »

This has stirred my curiosity, I haven't read a book like this one as it's not my typical genre. It does sound like a heavy read, but you have made it sound worth it.
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

I think one sign of a good author is that they are able to pull you into their world. This book seems like it does just that. The fact that this is historical fiction also makes this a very eye opening read, because it portrays first century Israel in all its brutal reality. I think this would be a good story for anyone who enjoys fiction, but also for anyone who wants to know more about the unjust society in first century Israel. Since you mentioned that there were many horrific things that happened in this story, I am now highly intrigued. Thanks!
:character-ariel:
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

Your summary of this book is quite emotional. How much more when I read the book? Family is always more important.Nice one.

Return to “Historical Fiction”