Official Review: A Cobbler's Tale by Neil Perry Gordon

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: A Cobbler's Tale by Neil Perry Gordon

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Cobbler's Tale" by Neil Perry Gordon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Full of action and definitely captivating, A Cobbler's Tale by Neil Perry Gordon chronicles the journey of one Jewish family fleeing from war in the former Austro-Hungarian Empire to settle in the US.

It is the early 1900s and the Jews in the village of Krzywcza know that things are about to get worse and many are leaving their homes to settle in the US where they can escape persecution and provide better lives for their families. Pincus Potasznik is one such man but he is unsure his wife Clara will agree to his departure. He convinces her and soon he is on a ship headed to America. He meets Jakob on the voyage and they forge a long lasting friendship. Unlike Pincus, Jakob is fleeing from his past deeds and intends to start a new life when they arrive. While having to work full time to establish his shoe-making business and Jakob getting involved with gangs, Pincus has his hands full. Worse still, World War I is about to begin and Pincus might not be able to go back for his family.

I loved that the plot does not run out of action scenes and many are emotionally gripping. The book is quite fascinating as every turn consists of a riveting scene. In the first part of the book, the unfair treatment that the Jews receive from the authorities is quite evident and even after the Potaszniks leave their homeland and start their life in America, challenges follow them there. Jakob’s involvement with ruthless gangs makes the book even more fascinating as surprises occur.

The fact that it is loosely based on real events makes it feel more authentic. Neil Perry Gordon bases the story on his great-grandparents’ immigration experiences. Even though the plot has been changed to create room for more action, it still reflects the challenges that many Jewish families faced even before the start of WWI in the Austro-Hungarian region.

The characters are not perfect and each of them does what is required for them to survive which makes them relatable and appear real. Clara is daring and she is willing to do whatever it takes to save her family. She takes on the responsibility of leading her family when her husband is away and she does so remarkably. Pincus is ambitious and wants to provide his family with the best life that he can offer. Despite his shy personality, he risks his life many times to protect those that he loves. Jakob, on the other hand, values friendship even if he is caught up in illegal activities.

The editing of the book is well done and the plot is fascinating. A Cobbler's Tale by Neil Perry Gordon would appeal to readers who appreciate action-packed stories that contain the themes of immigration, survival and war. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

A Cobbler's Tale
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I love books that are based on true events, loosely or otherwise. They usually hit home much quicker than regular fiction. This story sounds interesting. I shall keep it on my radar. Awesome review, mate!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds quite fabulous. I love that it's based on actual events and that it's non-stop action. Those two have me wanting to read the book right there! Thanks for the wonderful words about this one; I'll be putting it on my ever-growing list!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Britty01
Favorite Book: Will's Red Coat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britty01.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Britty01 »

I enjoy Historical fiction and this one centered pre WWI and during that time period appears to have a lot of action and interesting plots. The fact that it is loosely based on real characters adds extra appeal. Great review.
IsabellaCD
Currently Reading: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks!
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabellacd.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by IsabellaCD »

I really want to read this! I have a branch of my family that is Slovakian Jewish, and I have always wondered about the kinds of things they went through during the time period in which this novel is set.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

This book sounds like something history lovers would enjoy reading. Great review.
AvocaDebo621
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

The book seems quite fabulous. The fact that it is loosely based on real characters and true events, makes me really want to read this. Awesome review!🙂
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This is a pull-at-your-heartstrings type of story about adversity and survival. I sincerely hope that the main character is able to get home to his family, despite the war looming. I like that the characters are relatable and flawed. Thanks for the great review!
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

Although I love action packed books, the realistic tint this one has makes me reluctant to consider reading it.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an inspiring story about oppression, immigration, survival, war, and action in a captivating plot. The book has a free sample on Amazon Kindle and has an incitefully written OnlineBookClub review that highlights the book perfectly. Congrats @NeilPerryGordon on the BOTD.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

This sounds amazing. I love that the characters are not perfect because it makes them normal and believable. I also love historical stories that are based on new stories. Thanks for your review.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3008
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A Conflicted Slaveholder by Marge Cambre

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Wow, what an informative and enthralling review we have here! This sounds like a gripping story and I would like to read it. I wonder how the family found their new home and what struggles awaited them there. Thanks for the review.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
shannonkate8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonkate8.html
Latest Review: Ivan and the Silver Seeds by Ivy Lin and Walter Sattazahn

Post by shannonkate8 »

This sounds like a wonderful and heartwrenching novel. I can't believe he left his wife on his first voyage. It must have been so incredibly difficult. I'll have to read this one!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

This book is based on the author's grandparents' experiences immigrating. The characters are flawed realistically. The action is gripping.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I like that characters are not perfect it makes them more relatable and real. The premise is really emotional. Good job with the review.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl

Return to “Historical Fiction”