Official Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Official Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "River Kids" by Jennie Linnane.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

River Kids, written by Jennie Linnane, is a historical fiction novel set in Australia in the mid-twentieth century. It could also be considered a coming-of-age story as it is told from the perspective of Annie Hughes and covers her entire childhood until she is on the threshold of adulthood and her dream of becoming a nurse. Annie is the second of nine children born to Jack and Margo Hughs. Although Annie was born shortly before Japan’s attack on Pearl Harbor, the Hughs children were insulated from the war in their home at Oyster Bay. This village-like community is the backdrop to an engaging story of the growing Hughs family in an evolving period of history after World War II.

What I liked most about River Kids was its cast of memorable characters. Jack, Annie’s father, was portrayed as a hard-working chef and a fun-loving practical joker with a peculiar sense of humor. Margo, Annie’s mother, was also a hard worker characterized by a soft heart, kind spirit, and practical nature. Their flaws were not hidden but rather added to the authenticity of the story as they faced the consequences of their moments of anger, jealousy, and pride. It was a pleasure to read about the family’s interactions with the people of the community, such as Fast Fred, Humphrey Smithers (Smitto), Mrs. Next Door, Ruthie, and Sister Agatha. Readers will laugh at the fun, be entertained by the tomfoolery, be frightened by the close calls, and feel sadness at the losses experienced by this family and community.

In addition to the authentic characters, I loved the historical elements interwoven with the story. Family gathered around the “wireless” to hear the programs, which was later replaced by the television. Their food was stored in an ice chest with periodic ice delivery. When their needs exceeded the capacity of the ice chest, they upgraded to a refrigerator. Picnics and boat outings were great entertainment, as was exploring the outdoors. New technology of the kerosene heater and the washing machine brought ecstatic happiness to Margo. The death of King George VI brought sadness to the family and community, whereas Johnnie Ray, Elvis, and Marilyn Monroe were sensations.

I have no criticism to offer, other than my sadness about the seed of discontent that grew between the Hughs family and their neighbors next door. Unfortunately, they never could reconcile their differences and become friends, and this eventually led to the Hughs selling their beloved home. However, this also contributed to the authenticity of the story.

River Kids appears to be professionally edited as I found no grammatical errors and only a few punctuation mishaps such as missing or extra periods or commas. I highly recommend this book to those who enjoy stories of family relationships and the nostalgia of a world in simpler times. For its historical accuracy, relatable characters, and excellent presentation, I award 4 out of 4 stars.

River Kids
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like stacie k's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
TJanowski23
Currently Reading: Winning the battle against sin
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjanowski23.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by TJanowski23 »

This seems like a great book. I like the theme of close families and neighborhoods. It takes me back to my childhood. Thanks for the review!
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Isn’t this author so talented? I have read two of her books, and I absolutely love the way she describes scenes and gets the emotions across. This one sounds like an absolute delight, so I will have to add it to my want to read list.
Everything happens for a reason...
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Annie is the second of nine children?? I can't even imagine. I love that the characters in this are so well-done. A good coming of age novel intrigues me every once in a while. I'll keep this in mind for when the mood strikes again. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This seems like a really well-rounded book! I love that the author manages to weave in tiny little historical details like crowding around the wireless to contribute to its authenticity, which makes me more immersed in the story. Thanks for the review!
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Relatable characters and historical tinges are notable elements of this piece. I think this is another Linnane work I should place in my ever-growing Want to Read list. Thank you for your descriptive review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

A good coming-of-age story with very relatable characters. I think I'll check this one out. Thanks for the review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 951
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: The Angel of Hoheneck by Ivan Fredrikson

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I always like to read a good historical novel. The fact that this is centred around a family makes it all the more appealing.

Thank you for the great review.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

In addition to the authentic characters, I loved the historical elements interwoven with the story. Family gathered around the “wireless” to hear the programs, which was later replaced by the television. Their food was stored in an ice chest with periodic ice delivery. When their needs exceeded the capacity of the ice chest, they upgraded to a refrigerator. Picnics and boat outings were great entertainment, as was exploring the outdoors. New technology of the kerosene heater and the washing machine brought ecstatic happiness to Margo. The death of King George VI brought sadness to the family and community, whereas Johnnie Ray, Elvis, and Marilyn Monroe were sensations.
Wow--I love this description! Sounds like a great story. Well done, Stacie.
Jgideon
Favorite Book: Gates to Tangier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgideon.html
Latest Review: Sundays with Sister ssj by Anthony Happy LaRiccia

Post by Jgideon »

Sounds like a fun read. The author has done a great job in developing the characters. The use of historical facts in developing the story is also commendable.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

This sounds like a beautiful novel that depicts the everyday life of a well-knit family set in Australia. I admire the simplicities in their life, and how authentically the author portrayed them. Thanks for the great review. I will read this book.
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

After reading your review, I think this is a "gentle book" which will rekindle the warmth in your heart and remind you of family and childhood memories. The historical elements sound interesting enough, so I will check this book out if I have the time to.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
Hamid Shah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hamid Shah »

After reading your book I think it is book of great efforts and strong emotions towards childhood and family.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

The story of a family that bears the aftermath of WWII sounds interesting. I like historical fictions with a good plot. I think this one is one of them. Great review as always. :)
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

The novel consisting of a story of a girl Annie who wants to be a nurse and her childhood has been described here. This is a historical fiction novel because it consists on the River Kids in AustraliA.

Return to “Historical Fiction”