Official Review: Whispers Among The Prairie

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Whispers Among The Prairie

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Whispers Among The Prairie" by Michelle Roberts.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Whispers Among the Prairie is a historical fiction novel by Michelle Roberts. This well-researched book stays true to the era it is set in. Tensions are high in the American West during the 1860s. The Cheyenne simply want to hunt, and roam their lands freely, as they always have. However, to the White Man, they are simply brutes that need to be removed. Amidst the conflict, the Southern Cheyenne tribe finds itself divided. On one side, is Chief Black Kettle, his adopted daughter Morning Dove, and others who are trying to come to an understanding with the whites. On the other side, is the likes of Red Panther and Black Beaver, who would rather die than live as prisoners in their own land.

A spirit has informed Morning Dove that there are tough times ahead. Furthermore, it tells Morning Dove that she will be a bridge between her people and the whites. But, things get complicated when Clinton McKay, a veteran of the Civil War, re-enlists in the cavalry. When he and Morning Dove meet, sparks fly. With these two on two opposite sides of the war, can those sparks turn into a fire? Read Whispers Among the Prairie to find out.

I enjoyed reading this book. I connected with most of the characters almost instantly. The conflict between the Indians and the White Man was sad but thrilling to read about. I got emotional several times throughout the book. I would advise sensitive readers to proceed with caution.

Family, love, forgiveness, and loss are the main themes in the book. Morning Dove’s close relationship with her adoptive parents, Black Kettle and Medicine Woman Later, as well as with her brother, Black Beaver, was heartwarming to read about. In contrast, it was heartbreaking to witness the Cheyenne tribe's bond slowly weaken, and eventually, break.

It’s worth noting that Whispers Among the Prairie is Roberts’s debut novel. She, unfortunately, made a couple of the mistakes many first-time authors make. For one, verbosity. Many of her descriptions were unnecessarily detailed and broke the book’s rhythm. Characters frequently gave up too much information while speaking, resulting in awkward dialogue. Additionally, constant head-hopping was, at times, disorienting. It would have been better if she had stuck to a single POV per chapter/section.

Structurally, the book could also do with a little more work. The first part of the book focuses on Morning Dove’s life before she meets Clinton. The middle section does the same for Clinton. Both parts were drawn out and made the book drag. As a result, Morning Dove and Clinton only meet towards the end. Their relationship felt rushed because of this. The first two parts of the book could have been shortened to give their relationship enough time to develop.

Moreover, Roberts could have included an appendix listing the native names of the Cheyenne, along with the English translations of those names. Currently, the book makes it seem as though the Cheyenne used the translated versions of their names, such as Morning Dove, Black Beaver, Runs with Antelopes etc., to address one another. As most Cheyenne did not speak English, this would have not been the case. In my opinion, an appendix would help prevent confusion and show respect to the Cheyenne's language and culture.

I rate Whispers Among the Prairie 2 out of 4 stars. In addition to the errors detailed above, the book also contained other editing errors. Most of the errors were in the form of missing commas, missing apostrophes, and misspelled words. Despite the errors, the book still had a compelling storyline. I recommend it to lovers of historical fiction and romance.

Whispers Among The Prairie
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ever_Reading's review? Post a comment saying so!
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

I am currently watching a TV series involving the Cheyenne people, and though it is set in modern times, the undercurrents, conflicts and divided loyalties seem to be exactly the same. It sounds like a great story and I hope the author takes your critique to heart for her next novel regarding structuring the book's flow and dialogue. Well done!
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 29 Nov 2018, 19:35 I am currently watching a TV series involving the Cheyenne people, and though it is set in modern times, the undercurrents, conflicts and divided loyalties seem to be exactly the same. It sounds like a great story and I hope the author takes your critique to heart for her next novel regarding structuring the book's flow and dialogue. Well done!
Oh, cool. What is the series called? It sounds quite interesting.
Otherwise, the story was great. With a little tweaking, it could easily be flawless. Thank you for dropping by and leaving a comment! :D
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This almost reminds me a bit of something like Dances With Wolves. It sounds like the novel could use a bit of editing to take out some of the wordiness, but it still sounds interesting. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 684
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Poor editing again ruins a good story. I wish the author the best in her writing career. I think you gave her good feedback to show her which way to go.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 951
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: The Angel of Hoheneck by Ivan Fredrikson

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I love to read a good historical romance.
The conflict between the Indians and the White Man was sad but thrilling to read about.
I am sure this part will make me emotional if I decide to read it.

The errors are a shame. Also, I believe Morning Dove and her Clinton should have been given more time to develop their relationship.

Thank you for the great review.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 406
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: LaBlance Fish Tales Two by Peter F LaBlance
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Seemingly a pretty interesting book. And the review is nice too. Thank you 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

kandscreeley wrote: 30 Nov 2018, 08:33 This almost reminds me a bit of something like Dances With Wolves. It sounds like the novel could use a bit of editing to take out some of the wordiness, but it still sounds interesting. Thanks for the review.
It is similar to Dances With Wolves, in a way. I'd say the main difference is that Clinton was not as willing to give up his way of life as Lieutenant Dunbar was. But, that's a topic for another day. Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment :D
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Miriam Molina wrote: 30 Nov 2018, 17:15 Poor editing again ruins a good story. I wish the author the best in her writing career. I think you gave her good feedback to show her which way to go.
We all have to start somewhere. Thank you! :wink2:
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Kajori50 wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 09:32 I love to read a good historical romance.
The conflict between the Indians and the White Man was sad but thrilling to read about.
I am sure this part will make me emotional if I decide to read it.

The errors are a shame. Also, I believe Morning Dove and her Clinton should have been given more time to develop their relationship.

Thank you for the great review.
Oh yes, if you decide to read the book, have a box of tissue handy.
Those two should have definitely been given more time. They are the ones that attracted me to this book :oops:

Nonetheless, the book was worth a read. Thanks for dropping by!
Anon_Reviewer
Currently Reading:

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Sushan wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 10:28 Seemingly a pretty interesting book. And the review is nice too. Thank you 👍👍
It's a pleasure, mate. Thank you :D
janelwhite
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelwhite.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00C5W16B8

Post by janelwhite »

I enjoy any story about the American West. The plot sounds very intriguing. Although it is disappointing that the author was unnecessarily verbose, I would like to check this book out. Thank you for that review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”