Official Review: The Munich Girl by Phyllis Edgerly Ring

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Official Review: The Munich Girl by Phyllis Edgerly Ring

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Munich Girl" by Phyllis Edgerly Ring.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Who was Eva Braun? History tells us very little aside from her being mistress to one of the most infamous rulers of all time: Hitler. One would naturally assume that Eva Braun was as evil as her lover, but due to the strange relationship she had with Hitler and the destruction of her personal journals after she committed suicide, history tells us next to nothing.

The Munich Girl, Phyllis Edgerly Ring weaves a compelling story about Eva and a close friend. While much of the story is historically accurate, much is also drawn from "between the lines" speculation. A chance meeting between two young girls in prewar Germany; a friendship that spanned the rest of their lives; secrets and hard choices. This is the story of Eva Braun and Peggy as told from the vantage point of Peggy's daughter, Anna.

Peggy never talked about her former life in Germany, and Anna had never asked. When Peggy died, Anna's husband encouraged her to write a scholarly article about the person whose portrait had hung in the dining room for as long as Anna could recall—Eva Braun. The story line seamlessly alternates between current day Anna and historical Peggy and Eva, with the two plots being interdependent. Through her mother's journal, Anna learns of both the mysterious relationship between Eva and Hitler and the deep sister-like bond between Eva and Peggy. While Anna becomes more and more entrenched in her research, it becomes evident that her husband, Lowell, is abusive. Can Anna deal with the recent death of her mother, an abusive husband, and the secrets of her mom's past life? Anna's story turns out to be as much a secret as that of the elusive Eva Braun.

Rarely does a book touch me in the way that this book did. While I could not tell you how much of The Munich Girl is speculation, I know that when I turned the last page I was both heartbroken from loss and breathless with hope. The author painted the characters with intricate detail. I felt that I personally knew Eva Braun, Peggy, Anna, Lowell, and others. I was happy with the transitions between "today" and history. I also enjoyed the realistic descriptions. The author definitely captured my attention and held it through the last word.

I have only one hesitation that keeps me from 100% recommending this book. If the reader has a predisposition to strongly dislike Eva Braun, this book may not be received well. However, the author's theories are largely based on what IS known about Eva (such as the fact that she never joined the Nazi party, and that on the day she died she passed on an order of execution to the one man she knew would not obey said order, thus being lauded after the fact for saving 35,000 allied lives) and an extensive collection of photos and letters. Overall, the book felt professionally edited, except for random bits of conversation where punctuation is used to show pauses in speaking rather than being technically accurate. I don't feel that this is a big enough issue to lower my rating, so I am glad to give this book 4 out of 4 stars.

The Munich Girl
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like greenstripedgiraffe's review? Post a comment saying so!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

This seems like a compelling story about a woman we don't know much about. I like the fact that the author has seamlessly woven the narrator's trials and tribulations as well. This appears to be a great read. Thanks for the recommendation. I loved your review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds quite interesting. Speculation is really all you can do in this case. I'm interested in how the author portrays Eva. Who is she? What does a woman that is the mistress to someone like Hitler look like? I'll have to put this one on my list. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sara Kay
Currently Reading: The Water Trade
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sara-kay.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by Sara Kay »

What an intriguing story! This is definitely going on my "Want to Read" shelf. I seem to keep gravitating towards your reviews and love reading them, so thank you for all the work you put into your writing!
greenstripedgiraffe

kandscreeley wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 09:24 This sounds quite interesting. Speculation is really all you can do in this case. I'm interested in how the author portrays Eva. Who is she? What does a woman that is the mistress to someone like Hitler look like? I'll have to put this one on my list. Thanks!
Thanks for stopping by! The way Eva was portrayed all sounded plausible, though a bit mysterious. This book really moved me. I was not expecting that.
greenstripedgiraffe

Sara Kay wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 09:37 What an intriguing story! This is definitely going on my "Want to Read" shelf. I seem to keep gravitating towards your reviews and love reading them, so thank you for all the work you put into your writing!
Thank you! You are very kind :oops: I have always loved reading - this is a fantastic outlet for me! I hope you are able to read this one - I was strangely moved by the book. Definitely didn't expect that!
DaniyalYounis
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DaniyalYounis »

This book is not a very interesting but reading complete story seems nice.
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

I would like to see how the author portrays a historical character that is marred in mystery. With a rating of 4 stars i am sure that the author will not disappoint. Thanks
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick
greenstripedgiraffe

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 08:42 This seems like a compelling story about a woman we don't know much about. I like the fact that the author has seamlessly woven the narrator's trials and tribulations as well. This appears to be a great read. Thanks for the recommendation. I loved your review.
Thank you for stopping by and for your kind comments! :oops:
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir

Post by T_stone »

I enjoy stories with relatable characters. This book seems very compelling to read and your review has piqued my interest I it. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
kristine29
Currently Reading: Release that witch
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristine29.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by kristine29 »

I've read about her mostly on wikipedia. It's the time when I was curiosly reasearching the truth about the Nazi's, because I heard it mention by the characters of the movie that I have been watching. When I read about Eva Braun being a mistress/girlfriend/lover of Hitler, my first thought is she's the same as him surely ,and if she's not like him -you know a killer, racist and evil- then how can she stomach being with a guy like that .

I don't understand her , that's what I'm thinking at that time but then, of course there is always more to it than meets the eye.
So this book..I don't know if I'll read it , not because I'm doubting her but because this is surely a story of tragedy. Maybe next time, when I'm a bit more older and more mature. Just base on your review , this a worthwhile read and hopefully I will remember this book.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark

Post by Dael Reader »

You write a compelling interview. But I absolute despise fictionalized biographies, i.e., a novel based on a real-life person with "between the lines" speculation. It's the fake news of the literary world. I wouldn't want someone making up stories about me once I'm dead. So I don't think authors should do it to anyone else.
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

The fact that the book moved you so much is testament to the author's talent as a compelling story-teller. The subject of Hitler and the Nazi atrocities is still very raw in many people's minds, so it was brave of the author to tackle it. I love your thoughtful review, and probably would read this book if I got the opportunity.
greenstripedgiraffe

Dael Reader wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 21:07 You write a compelling interview. But I absolute despise fictionalized biographies, i.e., a novel based on a real-life person with "between the lines" speculation. It's the fake news of the literary world. I wouldn't want someone making up stories about me once I'm dead. So I don't think authors should do it to anyone else.
Hey, thanks for stopping by! I totally get where you're coming from. I typically don't like overly fictionalized historical fiction myself. I want it to feel as though I'm stepping back in history and living it. This somehow felt like that, even though I know it is speculation. I mentioned the speculation for sure in the review, because I know that is a put-off to many. :)
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

I do enjoy history and that means i would enjoy fictional history too. Even though the fact in this are common and i might find them familiar, i still know i would enjoy this book. Thanks for the hood review.

Return to “Historical Fiction”