Official Review: 'The Saga of Bridget and Amanda' (book 2)

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: 'The Saga of Bridget and Amanda' (book 2)

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "'The Saga of Bridget and Amanda' (book 2)" by Carole Love Forbes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Saga of Bridget and Amanda; New Challenges by Carole Love-Forbes, is a historical fiction novel. This volume advances the saga of Amanda and Bridget, and their daughters, in colonial America.

The first half of the book recounts the experiences of Amanda and her daughter Lindy. Amanda resides in Maryland. After the death of her first husband, she marries Jamie. Jamie is a shipbuilder. He takes Amanda on an extended honeymoon aboard his newest ship. Lindy marries Fulke. They begin their family. Lindy grows spiritually as religious conflicts affect the colony.

Bridget lives in New Amsterdam. She longs to improve her relationship with her daughter. Rachel lived with Anne Hutchinson for several years. A tragedy forces Rachel to return to her mother’s home. Here, she reunites with Tepho, the grandson of Massasoit. They marry and renew contact with the Wampanoag tribe.

The character development of the daughters is remarkable. Lindy and Rachel mature as they encounter difficult situations. Childish attitudes evolve into an interest in others. Selfish behaviors transform into service.

Difficult situations affect the daily life of the colonists. British soldiers capture settlers and imprison them in England. Ex-convicts arrive from overseas to populate the colonies. Food shortages and lack of funds strain the morale of the standing army. Differences over the freedom of religion provoke confrontations among the colonists. Relationships with Indian tribes are a source of concern.

The author does an excellent job of presenting colonial life from a unique perspective. The perils of childbirth, religious persecution, skirmishes with British soldiers were all realities of daily life. I liked the description of the controversy surrounding the Toleration Act.

My favorite part of the book was the story of Esther. She came from a mixed marriage. She married Mark without revealing the truth about her parents. Her husband reacts viscerally when one of their children gives evidence of Esther's parentage. We see slavery and racial discrimination surface in the early days of the colonies. The author presents these themes in a sensitive manner.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The numerous grammar errors force me to lower the score. The historical events stimulate emotions. Amanda’s choice of a second husband surprised me. Fans of historical fiction will enjoy this book. Romance readers would also appreciate the various relationships that develop in this novel. This book is the second in this series. The author does a good job of giving sufficient backstory enabling this book to work well as a standalone.

'The Saga of Bridget and Amanda' (book 2)
View: on Bookshelves

Like kdstrack's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I wonder what kind of tragedy forces Rachel to return to her mother’s home and what secrets is Esther hiding from her husband, Mark? There is a lot to discover in this book, and the fact that it contains romance make me eager to read it. Fascinating review.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Great review. I like that the author presented the themes in a sensitive manner and that he addresses realistic difficulties or challenges that affected many during the colonial era. Sounds like an interesting story to peer into.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 04:02 I wonder what kind of tragedy forces Rachel to return to her mother’s home and what secrets is Esther hiding from her husband, Mark? There is a lot to discover in this book, and the fact that it contains romance make me eager to read it. Fascinating review.
Thanks for your kind words. This is an interesting book and I hope you will enjoy the series. I like this author!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Nerea wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 05:29 Great review. I like that the author presented the themes in a sensitive manner and that he addresses realistic difficulties or challenges that affected many during the colonial era. Sounds like an interesting story to peer into.
I have read many historical fiction books about the colonists. This author presents their lives and difficulties in a unique way which elevates the interest. Hope you like it, too!
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

This sounds like a great story for those who are interested in Colonial America. Especially since the author seems to have thoroughly discussed the social conflicts that arose between different groups.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

kfwilson6 wrote: 18 Nov 2018, 20:53 This sounds like a great story for those who are interested in Colonial America. Especially since the author seems to have thoroughly discussed the social conflicts that arose between different groups.
I did enjoy the book very much. The author has researched the era and does a beautiful job of intertwining the historical characters in a fictional book. I found the author's manner of portraying the social and political conflicts quite intriguing. It was emotional and informative at the same time.
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

It sounds like there is a lot going on in the storylines of this book, and the racial and gender themes seem interesting from a historical point of view, too. Great review!
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

I think the plot is very mysterious and tricky with so many things going on at the same time. Nice review though!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Colonial life is fascinating to me as long as the story is good. This one sounds like it is, but I might have to wait until the grammatical errors are fixed as that can really detract from a story. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a well-developed story, and I am rather fascinated by the way the author chose to portray colonial life. I'm definitely placing this on my to-read list; thank you for the review!
Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace
Currently Reading: When Leaves Fall
Bookshelf Size: 1583
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chigozie-anuli-mbadugha.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Chigozie Anuli Mbadugha »

A fascinating review devoid of spoilers. You have created enough curiosity in readers to make me want to read the book despite the errors. I love historical fiction so I will be checking this out!
charmperit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charmperit.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by charmperit »

I like that the author made character development for the daughters through their encounter on difficult situations.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Thank you for the detailed review. Though I don't have much taste in this sort of books, I enjoyed your review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Historical Fiction”