Official Review: The Evacuees by Terry Spring

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Official Review: The Evacuees by Terry Spring

Post by Okafor Prosper »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Evacuees" by Terry Spring.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Evacuees by Terry Spring is a story inspired by true life events during World War II. It is the first book in the Our Song series. The story follows two sisters, Adele and Tania, who were among the evacuees moved out of London in 1940 as a result of fear of invasion by the Germans. The girls were relocated to Melbourne, Australia to stay with their uncle, Louis, and his wife, Monica. Melbourne was a very nice place. It was sunny, beautiful, and had great food, unlike London. However, the tension between their uncle and his wife, Monica's hatred for them, and the return of an abusive uncle, Edwin, made the girls long for a return to their family in London. The war ends and the girls finally return to London and the changes the war had on their family and London in general. Can Adele and Tania adjust to these changes?

The story starts off in Melbourne with a conversation between Adele and her work-friend, Sarah, about how life in London was. Adele remembers how frightening it was. How there was a shortage of food and bombs were dropped on houses, which forced her family to move to public shelters and then underground train stations. She narrated how they had to use gas masks, and how lessons in school revolved around identifying various aircraft when they flew in low, to recognize which ones would drop bombs. The author does a wonderful job here, expertly using a descriptive and well-detailed writing to take the reader back to how things were in London during World War II. The writing conveyed Adele's emotions very well, and it will help the reader feel what she felt. This was a good way to set the tone for the book.

I also found the author's way of writing dialogues interesting. Terry used mispronounced words to write in English and Australian accents, depending on the background of the character speaking. This made the story realistic. The book also showed the effect sexual harassment can have on someone's love life with the relationship between Adele and her abusive uncle, Edwin.

Furthermore, The Evacuees doesn't go in-depth to discuss how Adele and her family coped during the war, which made the book lack the suspense I hoped for. The only point I felt suspense was when Adele was almost raped. While the author does a good job on Adele's character development, the same cannot be said for other characters. I hoped to get to know more about Tania as she was one of the main characters, but I was disappointed in that regard.

The book is well organized with each chapter beginning with the location it is set in. Grammatical errors were few and far between, and this helped me navigate my way through the book easily. In the book's description, I read that it contains elements of romance, which was one of the things that drew me to this book. Even though the romance scenes surfaced only towards the end, it was worth the wait. I would recommend this book to lovers of historical nonfiction. It may also appeal to fans of romance novels. I enjoyed reading The Evacuees, but poor character development helped me make the decision to rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

The Evacuees
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like prospero360's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I often wondered what it would have been like for those children, torn away from their families for their own safety at a time when no one's safety could be guaranteed. This sounds like and interesting review. Nice review.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

Dael Reader wrote: 10 Nov 2018, 15:26 I often wondered what it would have been like for those children, torn away from their families for their own safety at a time when no one's safety could be guaranteed. This sounds like and interesting review. Nice review.
Thanks for sharing your views.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

Seems like a good fictional book with a touch of romance. Thanks for the review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I love when the author makes the dialogue so realistic by using various accents. This one sounds nice but not for me. Thanks for the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I like realistic narration. The book sounds intriguing. I would love to find out how the sisters coped with the aftermath of war. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

This books seems like a really good read, but I would have loved it even more if all the characters were as well developed. Regardless, thank you for your honest review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

Sounds like a good read. I like that the book is based on real events. I also like how the author used different dialogue for each character. Great review.
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Visions of Prosetry, Collector's Edition II by Vèè Nelly

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo »

Intriguing. Life couldn't have been easy for those sisters, especially living in the same house with an abusive relative. Seems like a book I'd like to read.
Seun419
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Seun419 »

It must have been hard for both the girls and their family when they were torn apart by war. The story sounds intriguing and I'd like to read it.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

It would be interesting to hear what London was like during World War 2. I do wish there was more suspense. I feel like I can learn a lot. Great review!
:tiphat:

Return to “Historical Fiction”