Review by kelsiemaxwell -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
kelsiemaxwell
Currently Reading: A Bound Heart
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsiemaxwell.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner
Reading Device: B016PUQWMI

Review by kelsiemaxwell -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by kelsiemaxwell » 07 Nov 2018, 22:02

[Following is a volunteer review of "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Apollo’s Raven is the first book in the self-titled series by Linnea Tanner. This epic is a historical fantasy featuring an ancient curse. Apollo’s Raven packs a powerful punch with healthy doses of romance, political intrigue, sorcery, mythology, betrayal, sacrifice and cathos, which means detestation or hatred in ancient Celtic. The story is mostly told from the viewpoint of the two main characters, Catrin and Marcellus. The author gives both characters full backgrounds that make them extremely relatable.

Tanner expertly handles the switching viewpoints, so they do not detract from the reader’s enjoyment of the story. Marcellus and Catrin find themselves in an intimate relationship, even though they are not able to fully trust each other. Their romance is a major component of the story, but the conflict between the Celts and the Romans is also explored. I found both aspects to be compelling.

There is an extensive cast of supporting characters. Catrin’s father, King Amren of the Celtic Cantiaci tribe, and Marcellus’ father, Roman Senator Lucius Antonius, are both major players in the story. Also central to the story are King Cunobelin of the Celtic Catuvellauni tribe, Marrock, Catrin’s half-brother through King Amren and Agrona, Druid priestess of the Cantiaci tribe. The multitude of characters could have been overwhelming, but Ms. Tanner manages to present the characters in a memorable way.

Catrin and Marcellus both face difficulties. Each is challenged by their father to extract information from the other by any means necessary. Meanwhile, the fathers are engaged in a political battle that could result in war. King Amren reveals to Catrin the curse placed on him by his first wife, Rhan. He believes that Catrin and her raven spirit animal have enough mystical power to supplant the curse. Catrin’s half-brother, Marrock, has aligned himself with enemies in a bid to gain leadership of the Cantiaci. King Cunobelin and Senator Lucius both plot against the Cantiaci. Druid priestess, Agrona, uses sorcery in her attempt to gain control of both Catrin and Marrock. Catrin and Marcellus, ultimately, have to decide where their loyalty really lies. They are challenged to choose between love and family. Tanner resolves the conflict satisfactorily.

I found this novel worthy of the designation of epic, and would recommend it to readers who are looking for a sweeping fantasy. Those interested in Celtic and Roman history may also find it enjoyable, though much of Celtic history was lost because they left almost no written records. Ms. Tanner noted that Celtic history was mostly left in the hands of Greek and Roman historians, who injected Celtic mythology into their Christian beliefs. Apollo’s Raven was compelling and well-edited, and I give it 4 out of 4 stars.

Apollo's Raven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like kelsiemaxwell's review? Post a comment saying so!
Stepping out so I can step up.

Espie
2018 Reading Goal: 12
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 116
Currently Reading: The Force Awakens
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by Espie » 03 Dec 2018, 22:07

I found this novel worthy of the designation of epic, and would recommend it to readers who are looking for a sweeping fantasy.
Life is not always as simple and convenient for all even if one hopes it to be. Fictional pieces like this are metaphorical representations of reality but with openness to more possibilities. Thank you for your succinct and honest review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs

kelsiemaxwell

Post by kelsiemaxwell » 04 Dec 2018, 20:41

It is true that fiction can be a snapshot of reality with infinite possibilities. In the real world we are locked in to an limited number of options whether good or bad. Thank you for your thoughtful comment.

Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ » 06 Dec 2018, 00:39

The book is amazing. I am just so much in love with it's concepts. I think your review was great too.

Kibetious
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 45
Currently Reading: The Dream Keepers
Bookshelf Size: 491
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibetious.html
Latest Review: Daisies and Dragon Slayers In The Equator by Penny Singham

Post by Kibetious » 06 Dec 2018, 09:29

Thanks for the wonderful review. What I like most about this book is the way the author was able to interweave several themes into this one amazing book. With this, there is surely something for everyone within the covers of this book.
​​​​​​He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, he gives renewed energy :techie-studyinggray:

Cotwani
2018 Reading Goal: 200
2017 Reading Goal: 200
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 9
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: Express Exec by Gary Brose

Post by Cotwani » 06 Dec 2018, 14:49

A lot seems to be going on in this book. It is good the author is able to rein everything in , and even resolve some conflicts satisfactorily. Glad you enjoyed the book. Thanks for a such a balanced review.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

kelsiemaxwell

Post by kelsiemaxwell » 06 Dec 2018, 15:32

Nusrat_Shabnam_ wrote: ↑
06 Dec 2018, 00:39
The book is amazing. I am just so much in love with it's concepts. I think your review was great too.
It is an amazing book. Thank you for your kind comment on my review.

kelsiemaxwell

Post by kelsiemaxwell » 06 Dec 2018, 15:35

Kibetious wrote: ↑
06 Dec 2018, 09:29
Thanks for the wonderful review. What I like most about this book is the way the author was able to interweave several themes into this one amazing book. With this, there is surely something for everyone within the covers of this book.
Yes, the multiple themes are beautifully handled. There’s definitely something for everyone. Thank you for the kind comment on my review.

kelsiemaxwell

Post by kelsiemaxwell » 06 Dec 2018, 15:41

Cotwani wrote: ↑
06 Dec 2018, 14:49
A lot seems to be going on in this book. It is good the author is able to rein everything in , and even resolve some conflicts satisfactorily. Glad you enjoyed the book. Thanks for a such a balanced review.
The author ended the story in a manner that is a perfect setup for the next book in the series. Thanks for the kind comment on my review.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”