Official Review: Into the Netherlands

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Into the Netherlands

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Into the Netherlands" by Valerie Koning-Keelan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It is the 1940s and World War II is finally over. The fear, frustration, poverty and desperation that were a consequence of the atrocious war activities still linger on. Gloria is determined to search for her husband. Everything seems so uncertain. The “enemy” could still be lurking somewhere in wait. As Gloria travels from Canada to Holland, she does not know what to expect. Will her parents-in-law accept her even though they do not know that she even exists? Will she be able to find Willem and finally settle down to the life she had initially envisioned? Into the Netherlands by Valerie Koning-Keelan is a passionate love story that is set in one of the most turbulent times in history.

The backdrop of the story definitely makes the plot one of a kind. Keelan catches the desperation of the time, presenting the pointless nature of war. From Canada to Europe and the world as a whole, the book reminds the reader of the suffering that many people had to endure in the years that followed the war. Keelan also points to many people’s ability to hope even after seeing their loved ones die and their nations in ruins. Holland particularly is the focus of the story and part of the region’s history and the people’s culture also appear in the book.

The characters make the story even more captivating. Gloria is observant, tenacious and high-spirited which makes her a great main character. Without knowing much about Holland, she is driven by love and decides to board a ship eager to find her lover. Even though the uncertainties and the danger involved is unnerving, she stills persists. With every obstacle, she finds a new solution, even when this calls for flexibility from what she is used to back in Canada. The supporting characters also play their role in the plot well. Their behavior is realistic given the period in which the story is set.

There are many points of suspense in the book. Many times I was unable to guess the outcome as the plot was quite unpredictable. From the beginning, the author arouses questions in the reader’s mind and captures their attention. The anticipation of what will happen to Gloria and Willem’s marriage and what Gloria’s experiences will be in the new environment makes the story a fascinating one.

Into the Netherlands
is an engaging story that is well-written and that is bound to appeal to romance book readers as well as anyone interested in stories set within and after World War II. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Into the Netherlands
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

This sounds like quite the suspenseful romance. Where is Willem? I really want to know if Gloria finds him and if he is ok. I think the cover of this book could be more appealing, but your review definitely drew my attention.
Amberlily
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amberlily.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Amberlily »

Oooh this one sounds really interesting! I remember in elementary school my class had to read a book in a Jewish girl's perspective of World War II. Even though I was very young I found the issues around people affected by war to be intriguing. My family is from Holland so it would be interesting to hear about some of the history. This one also being a love story just adds to my interest. Great review, might pick this one up sometime.
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

This is a great book, i have always loved the stories on war and i would love to give this a try.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This book sounds very interesting. From this review, I already like the main character and she has piqued my interest in reading this book. Definitely reading this one. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

I'm glad that this book doesn't seem like it's only romance, and actually has a lot more to it. It's also difficult to make the plot unpredictable at times so kudos to the author for that.
Thank you for the review!
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

This sounds like a great story that could describe the way the world was immediately after WW2. I especially love the fact that the story had a theme of hope throughout all of the events in Gloria's life, because the losses she suffered seem too extreme for most people to recover from. I think this story describes the post WW2 society in a very warm, delicate manner by choosing to focus on a common theme of hope after loss. Thanks for the review!
:character-ariel:
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

Ah, a well-executed historical novel with romance, suspense, and a main character with gumption - sigh me up! Thanks for the recommendation and thorough review!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad this one is so well-written. It is a bit different because it's set in such a turbulent period. I hope that she is reunited with her Willem and that his parents accept her. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ekwe1
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by ekwe1 »

I am glad that this book is so sweet I will read the book at my own time to understand it more
Franc93
Currently Reading: Demon
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-franc93.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Franc93 »

The backdrop is one of chaos but love and a strong will always triumphs at the end. I really can not get enough of books about war because they encompass the entirety of human emotions and show us that in the end good always triumphs. Quite a nice review
"Are you going to sit there and feel sorry for yourself, or are you going to reshuffle those cards life dealt you."- Stick
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 670
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Quite Intriguing story. I like that the author arouses questions from the beginning to capture the reader's attention. Awesome review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala

Return to “Historical Fiction”