Official Review: The Blacksmith's Arm by Keith L Wright

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kwahu
Favorite Author: Kathleen Geiger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwahu.html
Latest Review: The Ripples Spread by Fay Spurgin
fav_author_id: 73488

Official Review: The Blacksmith's Arm by Keith L Wright

Post by kwahu »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Blacksmith's Arm" by Keith L Wright.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Blacksmith's Arm by Keith L Wright is a historical fiction novel written through the eyes of the ordinary person who care less about the outcome of events. It follows the story of two lads from similar backgrounds facing the normal ordeals of young life. The outstanding thing about the book is that the two lads are from different eras. One is born in the 1630s and the other in the twentieth century. The zeal to impress every pretty girl around does not spare them, and they end up having nights full of lustful dreams.

The protagonist in the 17th century is John Smith, a blacksmith whose love for Annie develops the moment he meets her. However, she breaks his heart when he finds her sleeping with her father. Next comes Hazel, who ends up defiled by army soldiers and he grows a hatred for her. Later, Smith is angered when the village people claim he is responsible for Hazel's pregnancy. Therefore, he joins the army to avenge for her by killing the soldiers who had defiled her. Unbeknown to him, his life was to change forever.

In the 20th century, we meet Jack, who joins the police force after his parents force his girlfriend to abort his baby. He joins the force to get away from his parents but sustains serious injuries, after being attacked by an angry mob.

This book's summary says that it is not a historical tome, though agrees that the historical facts in it are correct. The idea is to give a clear distinction in the views of people today and the 17th century. The book uses politics, romance, and the Civil War to give a nicely executed storyline showing the contrast between the two eras.

What I liked about the book is the striking character development. Several characters appear briefly but are dynamic enough to capture and gratify the heart of the reader. While the story is written with paragraphs that alternate between the 20th century and the 17th century, the language used is simple and easy to follow. I found it impressive since the reader can easily see the contrast in the different ages through the paragraphs. For example, swords and muskets are the weapons in the 1630s, and transport is by horses and wagons, while in the 20th century we see ultramodern cars, tanks, AK47s, and street cameras.

Several paragraphs were in bold with no explanation why they were so, though they did not distract the reading. I also came across some few grammar errors, missing words, and other words typed without spacing. I would have given the book 3.5 stars if it were possible, but due to the errors, I give it 3 out of 4 stars. There are gory scenes in the book that might be disturbing to some readers. However, for those who may not mind the scenes, this is a good book to read.

The Blacksmith's Arm
View: on Bookshelves

Like kwahu's review? Post a comment saying so!
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

This historical fiction seems to hold some heavy themes, imagine a girl sleeping with her own father. To say it's weird will be an understatement. Then there is Hazel. I really have to read this book. Great review.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

A historical fiction book filled with betrayal, heartbreak and great themes to ponder; I'll pass in this one thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

Putting characters from very different eras together is a refreshing angle for a novel. It allows two similar young men going through experiences common to their time period, to contrast the differences, and the parallels in their personal situations. Interesting review!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

A fiction novel that accurately compares two different time periods, touching on the attitude behind out-of-wedlock pregnancies in the two eras. Battle scenes feature prominently, and their side by side comparison will excite war enthusiasts.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

The comparison between 17th century and 20th century, makes the book interesting. The plot seems to be well executed. I would enjoy reading this.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

This seems like an intriguing book blending historical fiction and the narrative of human relationships. Thanks for the review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

You've got me interested. This is told through the eyes of those that could care less? Plus, it highlights the differences between now and an older era. I'm curious as to how big the differences would be. Or perhaps they aren't as big as we would think. I'll have to check it out.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
writer808
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer808.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by writer808 »

I like historical fiction, will give it a reading.

Return to “Historical Fiction”