Official Review: Simon's Wife by L. M. Affrossman

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Official Review: Simon's Wife by L. M. Affrossman

Post by gen_g »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Simon's Wife" by L. M. Affrossman.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Can history ever be truly objective, when it serves as proof of the conqueror’s victory? L.M. Affrossman’s work of historical fiction, titled Simon’s Wife, tries to provide a fresh and objective retelling of history during the tumultuous Siege of Jerusalem in 70 CE. Set in a male-dominated society when women are only seen but not heard, Affrossman attempts to do this by telling the story through the perspective of a historical female figure that we do not know much about today.

The reader is first introduced to Shelamzion bat Judah’s character, the titular wife of the historical figure Simon bar Giora, one of the major leaders of the rebel Judean factions. Shelamzion is currently held in Roman captivity, where she strikes a deal with Cornelius Grammaticus, her Roman gaoler and a historian looking to gain recognition by publishing a “true recording” of the Jewish revolt: Shelamzion will tell her version of the Siege of Jerusalem in exchange for more information about her missing son. As the date of her execution looms, both of them strike up an unlikely and hesitant friendship.

Firstly, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Affrossman has a beautiful way with language, and it shows up clearly in her writing. Her descriptions are amazingly detailed and realistic, which not only contributes to the reader’s level of immersion, but also serves as evidence of the immense amount of research poured into writing the book. For example, with a vivid insight into the everyday routines of the Romans and Jews, it furthers the reader’s insight into how the lives of these people were like back in 70 CE. Personally, this also helped me to gain a better understanding of the complexities present in various characters found in the novel. Furthermore, the threads of the plot are woven together seamlessly, which makes for an intriguing and engaging read.

What I particularly appreciated about the story is Affrossman’s characterisation of Shelamzion. Shelamzion is a well-developed and multi-dimensional character, which allows me to relate to her on multiple levels despite our obvious and vast difference in historical backgrounds. Moreover, all major characters and their relationships in the story are fleshed out properly – this bestows upon Simon’s Wife a level of authenticity, of realness, that is not commonly found in most books today.

Nonetheless, whilst the story is very compelling, it is also rather dense. The rich description and large character cast unintentionally slow the story’s pacing, and it can get slightly difficult at times to keep up with the action, as well as to keep track of the various characters present. In addition, I would also recommend that a short introduction of the Siege of Jerusalem be included at the beginning for readers to have a better grasp of the actual historical event before diving straight into the story.

Therefore, I am giving Simon’s Wife a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. I have taken off a single star due to the reasons listed above and the presence of a few very minor grammar errors. I would definitely recommend this to people looking for an intense and vibrant read with a solid plot and character cast. If you are looking for a character-driven piece of excellent writing, as well as to learn more about the Siege of Jerusalem, this is definitely the book for you.

Simon's Wife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like gen_g's review? Post a comment saying so!
inaramid
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

Definitely not for light reading, this one, but you have me intrigued at "historical female figure that we do not know much about today." Thank you for the introduction to this work.
gen_g
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

inaramid wrote: 21 Oct 2018, 01:33 Definitely not for light reading, this one, but you have me intrigued at "historical female figure that we do not know much about today." Thank you for the introduction to this work.
Indeed, it is rather heavy. Thanks for stopping by, Inaramid! (:
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Furthermore, the threads of the plot are woven together seamlessly, which makes for an intriguing and engaging read.
You have done a great job with your review. Honestly, I have no idea about the Siege of Jerusalem but I am willing to check out this vibrant read and get myself acquainted with this topic.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 21 Oct 2018, 02:59
Furthermore, the threads of the plot are woven together seamlessly, which makes for an intriguing and engaging read.
You have done a great job with your review. Honestly, I have no idea about the Siege of Jerusalem but I am willing to check out this vibrant read and get myself acquainted with this topic.
Thanks for stopping by! It was an eye-opening read indeed.
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

What a wonderful surprise to look below your name and not see "Best Evidence"! I thoroughly enjoyed your review. I know less than nothing about the Siege of Jerusalem, so your suggestion about including a brief description would not be wasted :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Bianka Walter wrote: 21 Oct 2018, 03:37 What a wonderful surprise to look below your name and not see "Best Evidence"! I thoroughly enjoyed your review. I know less than nothing about the Siege of Jerusalem, so your suggestion about including a brief description would not be wasted :)
Isn't it? Finally, after 6 unpublished reviews :lol2: I also found myself confused at the beginning and had to search for more information. Thanks for stopping by, Bianka! (:
NhkeiraT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nhkeirat.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by NhkeiraT »

Interesting. Great review by the way, but not my type of genre.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

NhkeiraT wrote: 21 Oct 2018, 06:34 Interesting. Great review by the way, but not my type of genre.
Thanks for stopping by nonetheless! (:
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I love the sound of this book. It sounds like one of those that you need time and space to enjoy - so you can concentrate and immerse yourself. But so rewarding.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This seems well researched which I appreciate it. It fascinates me the cultures that woman are seen and not heard. It sounds like this is a great book to read, though not for light reading. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Julie Green wrote: 21 Oct 2018, 13:11 I love the sound of this book. It sounds like one of those that you need time and space to enjoy - so you can concentrate and immerse yourself. But so rewarding.
It really was! Thanks for stopping by!
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

kandscreeley wrote: 21 Oct 2018, 18:21 This seems well researched which I appreciate it. It fascinates me the cultures that woman are seen and not heard. It sounds like this is a great book to read, though not for light reading. Thanks.
It really was overall a rich book, but yes, not really for light reading by the beach. Thanks for stopping by!
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12472
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

I wonder if this book is just fiction or if the entire events specified in the contents really happened but the characters' names were changed. I love the introduction of your review.
Can history ever be truly objective, when it serves as proof of the conqueror’s victory? L.M. Affrossman’s work of historical fiction, titled Simon’s Wife, tries to provide a fresh and objective retelling of history during the tumultuous Siege of Jerusalem in 70 CE. Set in a male-dominated society when women are only seen but not heard, Affrossman attempts to do this by telling the story through the perspective of a historical female figure that we do not know much about today.
Thanks for the through review.
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Dolor wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 01:43 I wonder if this book is just fiction or if the entire events specified in the contents really happened but the characters' names were changed. I love the introduction of your review.
Thanks for the through review.
Hey Dolor! Most of the names were retained from history, but I believe Shelamzion's name was probably given by the author, since what we know of the actual historical figure is just "Simon's wife" (thus the title). Most of the major events in the novel actually happened in history, so I suppose the novel is rather accurate in its portrayal of the Siege of Jerusalem. Thank you very much for stopping by, I appreciate it! (:

Return to “Historical Fiction”