Official Review: Simon's Wife by L. M. Affrossman

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Re: Official Review: Simon's Wife by L. M. Affrossman

Post by fredrick otieno »

Quite interesting book though not one to take to bed and lie on your back and read, of course because of density. It will also give the reader an opportunity to learn about Israel, and the fact that it puts a woman in the centre of the plot, i think makes it interesting. Good review.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

fredrick otieno wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 02:18 Quite interesting book though not one to take to bed and lie on your back and read, of course because of density. It will also give the reader an opportunity to learn about Israel, and the fact that it puts a woman in the centre of the plot, i think makes it interesting. Good review.
It was a great read indeed! Thanks for stopping by.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This looks like an engaging book from your review really. I seem to enjoy the plot and its interwovenness. I'm really going to enjoy this. Although it is slow paced, I don't think it will stop me from enjoying this book. Thanks for an awesome review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
gen_g
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

T_stone wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 05:10 This looks like an engaging book from your review really. I seem to enjoy the plot and its interwovenness. I'm really going to enjoy this. Although it is slow paced, I don't think it will stop me from enjoying this book. Thanks for an awesome review
Thank you for stopping by, I hope you enjoy the book as well.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I really like the challenging revolution taking place between genders and religion. Your review make this read sounds ancient. The characters and events does seem based on true events, but if the author is really successful in providing a good visualization, then I believe it will provide a good kick to the reader. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 05:37 I really like the challenging revolution taking place between genders and religion. Your review make this read sounds ancient. The characters and events does seem based on true events, but if the author is really successful in providing a good visualization, then I believe it will provide a good kick to the reader. Thank you for your review!
I enjoyed the book very much, and I agree that there are a lot of things going on, especially from a gender perspective. Thanks for stopping by!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

The book sounds pretty intense. It would be nice to find out what exactly about Shelamzion, allows you (and me by extension) to relate to her on multiple levels despite the obvious and vast difference in historical backgrounds. I have so enjoyed reading your review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Can history ever be truly objective, when it serves as proof of the conqueror’s victory?
If it is deliberately meant to take into account real events as they happened.

For a historically-inclined piece, I'd agree with you that knowing the events better would have given it the necessary balance. It seems like the author was trying to make this book more character-driven to resonate the title's implied theme but need a bit more to meet the mark.

Thank you for your amply-written review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I don't read much historical fiction, but this sounds interesting. Great review as always.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

It seems this book is worth the wait. I agree that it is not for light reading, though. The character names alone need intense concentration to remember. I have zero knowledge of the Siege of Jerusalem; I am also curious why the time period CE is used, instead of the more familiar AD. I hope to read this one.

I agree with the title of the book. "Shelamzion's Story" wouldn't sound as inviting.

Great to see you out of the black hole, gen_g!
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Cotwani wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 10:42 The book sounds pretty intense. It would be nice to find out what exactly about Shelamzion, allows you (and me by extension) to relate to her on multiple levels despite the obvious and vast difference in historical backgrounds. I have so enjoyed reading your review!
Thank you for stopping by! Shelamzion is an educated female (in a society where education was mainly a male-dominated pursuit) struggling to adhere to patriarchy's expectations (i.e. being a submissive wife and bearer of children, a good cook, etc.) – her thought processes/struggles are rather similar to women of today. It definitely might not be a historically accurate portrayal of Simon's wife, but it's an attempt at providing a fresh perspective, I suppose. :D
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Espie wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 15:47
Can history ever be truly objective, when it serves as proof of the conqueror’s victory?
If it is deliberately meant to take into account real events as they happened.

For a historically-inclined piece, I'd agree with you that knowing the events better would have given it the necessary balance. It seems like the author was trying to make this book more character-driven to resonate the title's implied theme but need a bit more to meet the mark.

Thank you for your amply-written review.
Yes, it is the author's intention and attempt to provide a fresh perspective (and hopefully objective - which is kind of contradictory since we are using the word "perspective") of the historical events by utilising a unique character to tell the story. If we were to work from this line of logic, I suppose even the author's fictionalised version would not be truly objective, as Affrossman's main point is to point out that "history", especially in 70 CE, is "his-story", instead of "her-story". Therefore, we would then need more than 1 perspective, which is what Affrossman has then provided us with, thanks to the book being told from Shelamzion's POV (despite being fictionalised). Thanks for stopping by! (:
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

teacherjh wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 17:46 I don't read much historical fiction, but this sounds interesting. Great review as always.
I hope that you will enjoy it too if you decide to pick this up; thanks for stopping by as always!
gen_g

Post by gen_g »

Miriam Molina wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 20:52 It seems this book is worth the wait. I agree that it is not for light reading, though. The character names alone need intense concentration to remember. I have zero knowledge of the Siege of Jerusalem; I am also curious why the time period CE is used, instead of the more familiar AD. I hope to read this one.

I agree with the title of the book. "Shelamzion's Story" wouldn't sound as inviting.

Great to see you out of the black hole, gen_g!
Thank you, Miriam! (: I also had 0 knowledge of the Siege of Jerusalem when I first picked up this book, and I agree with you about the names too! I forgot to mention this in the review, but there is a short glossary of names at the beginning, so it did help some. I assume the author used CE instead of AD to be more inclusive, as AD is more religiously inclined a term; AD means "anno domini", aka "in the year of our Lord", whilst "CE" simply means "Common Era".

The title piqued my interest too, and certainly played a part in my decision to pick it up for review. I'm also glad to see myself out of the black hole (LOL!), and I am hoping hard that you won't fall into your third! Thanks for stopping by as always, I appreciate it! :D
JHuschle519
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhuschle519.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by JHuschle519 »

Thank you for the well written review. I love that the story is told from the point of view of a woman who "wasn't supposed to be heard." Even without reading the book that tells me that she is most likely a very well written and strong character. This seems like it will be a very interesting read. Thanks again.

Return to “Historical Fiction”