Official Review: Massacre at Aqua Caliente by Craig Rainey

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EmunahAn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emunahan.html
Latest Review: Unremembered Victory by Dennis H. Klein

Official Review: Massacre at Aqua Caliente by Craig Rainey

Post by EmunahAn »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Massacre at Aqua Caliente" by Craig Rainey.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Craig Rainey’s Massacre at Agua Caliente is a gripping story, the kind that lingers in your thoughts and stays with you even after reading the book.

Boyd Hutton is a fugitive and an outlaw. He is guilty of robbery and murder. Still, nothing in the man reveals his dark past and the present turmoil he faces while on the run. On many occasions, he comes face to face with death but somehow he outmaneuvers his capturers. Death becomes his constant companion either as the murderer or the prey. At Agua Caliente, In the East of Texas, Hutton and his men attempt to rob a bank that is known to have never been robbed before. He escapes while his men perish. Is there an end to this outlaw? Can he redeem himself and settle down or is this the only life that he will ever live?

In this fascinating story, I appreciated Craig Rainey’s ability to create opening scenes that later present the main character. The author first describes life in Agua Caliente, giving details of its establishment and economic activity. He also tells the details of the happenings at the robbery from different angles, each of them fascinating and different from the other. The outcome is a series of striking scenes.

As the main character, Hutton is well-suited for his role. His character and unusual demeanor even in the face of certain death make the story stand out. He has flaws, most of them despicable yet somehow he is almost admirable. Creating a character as complex as Hutton portrays Rainey’s skill as a writer. Even though he is deeply flawed, Hutton still manages to captivate and interest the reader. The supporting characters are also well-designed to support the main characters.

The main backgrounds of the story, for instance, Agua Caliente, are either sleepy towns mostly with little activity or treacherous terrains. These uneventful backdrops accentuate the action that takes place in them. Many times the locals are left surprised or shocked while the tales of Hutton’s activities spread widely around different towns. The difficult landscape that Hutton comes across as a fugitive in Mexico also reveals his experience and confidence.

Massacre at Agua Caliente by Craig Rainey is well-edited. The structure of the book with its clearly marked chapters and well-described scenes makes it an easy read. The writing is done adeptly and the characters are realistic and flawed. Every turn in the book is surprising and unexpected. For every reader who is fascinated by the adventures of an outlaw, Massacre at Agua Caliente is the book to read. I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

Massacre at Aqua Caliente
View: on Bookshelves

Like EmunahAn's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.”
― Nora Ephron
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Outlaws do not make up my usual reading material. Having said that, this does sound like quite an interesting story. I just don't know that I would enjoy Hutton as a character. Thanks for the review, but I think I'm going to skip this one for now.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This is quite an interesting story. I wonder how a man as guilty as Hutton ever find redemption, and if he eventually did. Thanks for this review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
writer808
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer808.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by writer808 »

I read this a while ago. Loved it.
HRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Post by HRichards »

Seems like an interesting Western. I'm usually not a huge fan of the genre, but I might give this one a try at some point.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 670
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

The story sounds thrilling and captivating. I would love to delve into the story and get more gems and especially understand the role the protagonist played in the plot. That was one solid review. Kudos.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Thank you for your thorough review! This book sounds like it could be a movie. I love good Western movies, but I have never read a book from that genre. That's nuts, lol! I think this one may be the one I start with. :D
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A western recounting the adventures notorious American outlaw and the woman he kidnapped sounds exciting. The ability to drew opening scenes that tie to later events shows talent. That the characters are realistic and the writing is good and well edited are another points to the author's credit. Not for me, but I am glad you enjoyed it. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
couponhustla
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by couponhustla »

The story sounds interesting, especially since I have not read a lot of outlaw books.
I am wondering if the story can prevent me from putting it down.
I might give it a try if this summer.
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I love thought provoking reads. With the storyline and the realistic characters,this book is something I would definitely like to read. Thanks for the amazing review.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

A uniquely captivating plot involving crime and the daily danger of death is a book everyone should read.
HeraO_25
Currently Reading: The Three-Body Problem
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by HeraO_25 »

I'm sorry, but this just doesn't sound interesting. I have always been turned off by books that make bad men the heroes. I will not be reading this after all.
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1029
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Thanks for the review, but I dislike westerns, so I'm just not interested in this outlaw and fugitive's story or the backdrop of Agua Caliente. It is nice that the editing was on-point, though.
Last edited by MsTri on 25 Apr 2019, 09:10, edited 1 time in total.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

This is not my usual genre, so I won’t be reading this one, but it sounds like the author did a great job with setting various scenes with descriptive language. The subject of an outlaw on the run does make one wonder how it wil end. At some point, the main character is either going to quit the life of crime and take up a new identity, or end up in jail or die while living the life of crime. Great review! This one just isn’t for me though.
Everything happens for a reason...
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

It does take skillful writing to coax the reader to admire and despise a character at the same time. And I love reading a book that is well edited. Thank you for an excellent review!

Return to “Historical Fiction”