Review by Rodrigo Niguez -- The Warramunga's War

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rodrigo Niguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodrigo-niguez.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Review by Rodrigo Niguez -- The Warramunga's War

Post by Rodrigo Niguez » 15 Oct 2018, 21:19

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

World war is a tale that has been told in many narrations. People all over the world have a different version depending on their source of information. The novel The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater is a historical fiction. The author unearths the mystery and history surrounding the second world war. First, I think the author is best placed to write this book due to his first-hand experience in the war. Albeit, he is from Australia, he was a soldier for the British allied forces during the war. I think being in the battlefield for five years is enough period to gather useful information to enable him come up with a book of his own.

The leading characters in the novel are Jamie and Jack O'Brien, the latter otherwise known as Jacko. The two are Australian national deployed in Egypt to gather information for the British army. There is an ensuing confrontation between the German and the Britons allied forces on opposing sides. Intelligence information is what will win this war. The city of Cairo is full of spies. Prostitutes and kids are deployed to extract information from the adversaries. Whether the Germans or the Britons will win the war is a matter yet to be known.

What I liked most in the book was the discussion on world war two. I think the book was educating on that aspect. I learnt new things and information surrounding the war. Additionally, some information I already had were a bunch of lies. Yes, I know not all the things discussed were the absolute truth but at the same time, I'm convinced that majority of the information herein was correct. I trusted the author's works and ideas. Apart from that, the mystery of the war was quite captivating. Who won the war? I found myself interested in knowing the characters fate in dire situations. When they were cornered by the enemy's army. This and many more made me to read many pages per reading session. Moreover, the author always had his way of creating suspense which made me inquisitive and wanting to know what actually transpired.

However, I disliked characters like Matt and his bandwagons. Matt betrays his friends Jacko and Jamie. He baetrays the police service. He betrays the justice system. While on a mission in Egypt for the Australia government, he develops a habit of raping women and strangling them to death. That is to kill of any possible evidence against him. Ironically, he is among the policemen leading the investigations to track down the murderer. How funny that could be! He got away Scot free with his actions. His actions were inordinate and improper notwithstanding the fact the he was a police officer. He ought to be punished for his crimes.

I loved this book and would bravely give it a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. I rarely award books fours stars but this attracted my attention. It had all the qualities I cherish in a book- proper character development, rich writing style and it served educational purposes. I would recommend the book to lovers of historical fiction. It is platter of history of the world war one and two.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves

Like Rodrigo Niguez's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”