Official Review: The Rebels by Dave Lloyd

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Official Review: The Rebels by Dave Lloyd

Post by Quinto »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Rebels" by Dave Lloyd.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The year is 1864, and Sergeant Frank Shannon is picked by Captain Corder to go with him and a detachment to find a way to flank Grant's army on the west. They have been assigned the duty of getting a lay of the land as they search for a suitable ford across the Rapidan River which would afford them a back door to Grant's army. However, not only do they not find a pass, but a hotly contested battle ensues between the Confederate side and the Union forces. Grant's determination to gain an upper hand in the Battle of the Wilderness is evident with his force that outnumbers their foes by almost three to one. And on the Confederate side, only Frank and Captain Matthew Grounds survive, the others lying down dead by the river.

Frank is resourceful and popular within the ranks. In this latest battle, he escapes with a bullet wound in his right shoulder. Despite the agonizing wound, he's still able to help a fellow Johnny Reb, Captain Grounds, from suffocating to death due to a shattered jaw bone occasioned by a shot through both cheeks. Throughout the narrative, he's astute, brave and a manipulator. Matthew, his partner, has similar qualities, only more refined. He also has the additional key attribute of being generous, epitomizing the popular quote from the Scriptures (which he reads often): "it is more blessed to give than to receive." And blessings he does receive, in the form of an invincible character and success in his many forays.

Dave Lloyd's novel, The Rebels, is based on an important episode in U.S. history, The American Civil War. It's the first book in the Montana Saga Series and the making of a thriller in my own judgment. With the setting and conflict well-known and established, Dave proceeds to create a plot based on living and breathing individuals. He starts building on the backstory of the main protagonists (and other characters) as and when the reader first comes across them. Personally, the trauma that Frank, and later Matthew, faces as one of the only two survivors of their company, drew me in from the start. Later, Matthew tragically loses his young wife after having been married for only a few months. This event seems to be the most profound event that influences his character. He is tough and invincible yet so tender and caring to the people who do his bidding; and besides, like Frank, "he'd never ask them to do anything, take any trail, or face any odds, that he wouldn't himself." Moreover, like any good plot, the action in the novel rises progressively through a series of events that have been expertly narrated, that is, the battlefield incidents, the protagonists' journey westwards after the end of the war, their time as Rangers, and so on. Lastly, Dave's resolution to his plotline is superbly done and points to a sequel.

Dave's pacing is captivating mainly because of his insistence in realizing the moments in their entirety and dramatizing the action. A key moment in the prose, for example, is when the war is now over, and Matthew is not sure of the plans that Frank has for his immediate future. The author dramatizes this and makes the moment endearing to the reader. "Matthew looked back into gray eyes. He liked this man. 'I never said I didn't want you along Serg - Frank. If you want to come with me, I'd like to have you. The way back down into Georgia is bound to be dangerous now. I hope to take some wagons with supplies and as many good men as I can find.'" The author employs a celebratory tone in his novel. He glorifies and honors valor, equality, chivalry, finesse, and integrity. Matthew is a man who wouldn't put a man down because of his race or skin color, for example. Furthermore, Dave's word choice is impressive. He uses uncommon English words, such as guidon, coulee, lionized, swamper, skedaddler, promontory, bobby, cadge, and prude, extensively and effectively in his story. Additionally, the novel depicts a number of memorable pictures that elicited a feeling of nostalgia in me.

To sum things up, the historical events depicted seemed to be accurate. However, in the "Prologue" the author acknowledges that he's done some tweaking with the chronology "a little to get everything to fit properly in the plot line." The editing errors are, regrettably, on the higher side and made me want to reduce the rating for this otherwise exquisite work. That notwithstanding, I recommend the novel to readers who want to be kept on "the edge of their seats." The author has employed extensive plot twists and cliffhangers to ensure this. Additionally, it's bound to elicit unequivocal reactions from lovers of Westerns, notably, because the novel lives to the ideals of this genre. Personally, I so much look forward to reading the sequels, "Pardners," "T.S. Grounds" and "Home Ranch." To conclude, readers who are sensitive to the use of derogatory terms or racist words, are well warned to keep clear of this book (it's based on a period when this was the norm). I rate it a 3 out of 4 stars.

The Rebels
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Quinto's review? Post a comment saying so!
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

You have sold me. I love historical fiction and this one sounds like a winner. It will be fun unscifering those uncommon words. Thanks for your review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This is a sad time in our history, but it's one that should be remembered. Still, I have a hard time getting absorbed in these types of books. For now I'll pass, but the review makes it seem intriguing.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I've always found the Civil War to be an interesting time period. This sounds like a good book.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

melissy370 wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 15:47 You have sold me. I love historical fiction and this one sounds like a winner. It will be fun unscifering those uncommon words. Thanks for your review.
Thanks for your kind comments, melissy370. This a gem to historical fiction lovers like yourself with the bonus that it's based on real events.
Quinto
Currently Reading:

Post by Quinto »

kandscreeley wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 19:03 This is a sad time in our history, but it's one that should be remembered. Still, I have a hard time getting absorbed in these types of books. For now I'll pass, but the review makes it seem intriguing.
Thanks, kandscreeley for your kind comments. Thanks for stopping by.
Quinto
Currently Reading:

Post by Quinto »

teacherjh wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 19:38 I've always found the Civil War to be an interesting time period. This sounds like a good book.
I couldn't agree more with you there, teacherjh. It's an interesting series for lovers of this genre. Thanks for stopping by.
writer808
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer808.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by writer808 »

I like historical books. I will add this to my bookshelf
Quinto
Currently Reading:

Post by Quinto »

writer808 wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 23:14 I like historical books. I will add this to my bookshelf
Thanks, writer808, you'll like the series I know. Thanks for stopping by.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

This sounds like an intriguing book using the American Civil War as the background. Sounds worth reading. Thanks for the insightful review!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

Historical fictions, told of the American civil war, are always worth the read. With your clear summary, this book will be one to be enjoyed, therefore, I'm adding this to my TBR shelf. Thanks for the review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Quinto
Currently Reading:

Post by Quinto »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 11:12 This sounds like an intriguing book using the American Civil War as the background. Sounds worth reading. Thanks for the insightful review!
Thanks, Debjani Ghosh, for your kind comments. This an interesting novel for historical genre enthusiasts.
Quinto
Currently Reading:

Post by Quinto »

T_stone wrote: 14 Oct 2018, 17:43 Historical fictions, told of the American civil war, are always worth the read. With your clear summary, this book will be one to be enjoyed, therefore, I'm adding this to my TBR shelf. Thanks for the review.
Thanks, T_stone for your kind comments. Yes, I really enjoyed this one.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I really enjoyed your review and your enthusiasm for this book and author. Learning about our history can help us to appreciate the country we live in. Seems like this book does that quite well. This book looks very appealing. Nice job!
Quinto
Currently Reading:

Post by Quinto »

kdstrack wrote: 15 Oct 2018, 12:42 I really enjoyed your review and your enthusiasm for this book and author. Learning about our history can help us to appreciate the country we live in. Seems like this book does that quite well. This book looks very appealing. Nice job!
Thanks so much for your accolades. The book is truly mesmerizing apart from bringing out a historical perspective that would be of interest to many a historian.

Return to “Historical Fiction”