Official Review: The Fall of a Sparrow by Dan Scannell

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Official Review: The Fall of a Sparrow by Dan Scannell

Post by ayoomisope »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Fall of a Sparrow" by Dan Scannell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“… There’s a special providence in the fall of a sparrow.” (William Shakespeare Hamlet V, ii 220-221).

The Fall of a Sparrow by Dan Scannell is a historical fiction novel centered on the life of Henry Howard, the second son of the Earl of Surrey (one of the founders of English Renaissance poetry). The story occurs on two timelines—the mid-sixteenth century and present day—and is narrated in first-person, in both timelines, by Henry Howard and Michael Devon respectively.

Michael Devon is researching into the authentic identity of William Shakespeare. Contrary to prevailing belief, the “Oxford” school believes that Edward de Verre, the 17th Earl of Oxford, is the author of the plays and poems of Shakespeare. Michael, however, proposes that Henry Howard—who was first cousins with Edward de Verre—is indeed Shakespeare. He contacts his old friend, Henrietta Claudia Wells (aka Hank), to discuss his queer theory. Hank later reveals she discovered a journal, ostensibly written by Henry Howard, titled The Beginning of the Story of My Life and dated 1557. The story then shifts to the mid-sixteenth century. The reader is taken on a captivating journey revolving around Henry Howard’s life: how he arrived in Paris; his adventures with his three friends (Claude Dormoy, Gaston Gaudin, and Bernardo Giambelli); and his encounters with Doctor Michel de Nostra Dame (usually Latinised as Nostradamus) and a certain young woman named Caterina.

It is important to note this book is not intended to contribute to the academic discussion on the Shakespeare authorship question. It is simply a creative reimagination of the life of an actual historical personage (Henry Howard). Most of the other personages and events represented in the book are completely fictional. (The book is relatively similar to Shakespearean plays.) Having said that, I applaud the manner in which Dan Scannell excels in his writing—the diction and syntax in many of the journal entries portray the mid-sixteenth century–era writing in Renaissance Europe. The introduction and development of each character are first-rate. The camaraderie among the four friends is relatable and captivating. And the conclusion of the journal entries is rewarding, if you like happy endings.

Nevertheless, the conclusion of the story (as a whole) is a bit disappointing: The fate of some of the characters was left open-ended, and while Hank and Michael discover many answers, they are left with more questions. Furthermore, there are few instances of adult language and suggestive references; hence, the book might be inappropriate for children. In addition, there are several grammatical and typographical errors in the work: name inconsistencies, such as “Edward de Verre” also written as “Edward de Vere”; incorrect use of some punctuation marks, especially quotation marks; and writing “fesses” instead of “feces.”

I assign The Fall of a Sparrow a rating 4 out of 4 stars. It is an engrossing novel, and Dan Scannell deserves some public recognition for his writing style. I will recommend this book to adult readers of historical fiction books that include extensive creative liberties.

The Fall of a Sparrow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ayoomisope's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

Being almost completely ignorant of the art world and it's history, this book could be either unfamiliar and confusing, or enlightening and educational. I think that historical fiction is a great way to interest non-historians as being an enjoyable way to learn what is viewed by many as a dull subject. Great review!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

Sounds like an excellent historical fiction novel. The true identity of Shakespeare is a fascinating topic. Thanks for your informative review.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

This sounds like an interesting historical fiction. Educational and edifying, this book can be read to enjoy and not add to the known authorship of Shakespeare. Nice review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Historical fiction is not generally my genre. However, occasionally one will catch my eye. Since this is so similar to Shakespeare, I'll have to pass. His plays are meant to be seen not read. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I enjoy some historical fiction, but this seems to in-depth for me. Good character development is always a plus, but it seems to have some editorial issues. Good review!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)

Return to “Historical Fiction”