Official Review: In the Grip of God by George Cargill

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Official Review: In the Grip of God by George Cargill

Post by melissy370 »

You had me up until Paul had a exwife. That must be the part of the author's literary license. I will probably pass on this one. Thanks for your review.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

This book sounds fascinating, thank you for the review.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

From your review sounds like a neat book to read on the Apostle Paul. I think it will make reading the Scriptures come alive. Thanks for a great review.
Denniz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Denniz »

This is a book I would absolutely love to read because I fill like Pauls journey is a journey that I never knew was so spiritual
horlamide532

Post by horlamide532 »

whao!! what a nice story i have never had before that paul is in relationship but it am so happy too get this biblical story i really praise the author for the review
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

Quinto wrote: 13 Oct 2018, 20:54 From your review sounds like a neat book to read on the Apostle Paul. I think it will make reading the Scriptures come alive. Thanks for a great review.
It really did give some depth to the story and let me see the characters more clearly. I believe the author stayed true to scripture also which is vital.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Though I had heard about repeaters, the use of water vessels as amplifiers was an intriguing surprise. I also liked that women had leadership roles and were treated with respect making me curious about Paul's message that women stay quiet in church. The assertion that Paul divorced his wife and was in love with Lydia is a put-off, however. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Jackie Holycross

Cotwani wrote: 18 Oct 2018, 04:43 Though I had heard about repeaters, the use of water vessels as amplifiers was an intriguing surprise. I also liked that women had leadership roles and were treated with respect making me curious about Paul's message that women stay quiet in church. The assertion that Paul divorced his wife and was in love with Lydia is a put-off, however. Great review!
I read a book once about women’s role in church. It said that because women were uneducated in Paul’s time, they had lots of questions and were disturbing the service. That’s why Paul told them to be quiet and ask their husbands at home. I don’t know what reasearch the author used but it made sense to me.
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

You review killed it. Even with my Christian background, the first thing that draws me to this book is the portrayal of Paul's character as a man capable of human feelings and not an "untouchable holy man"
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
KADIRISALIFU
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by KADIRISALIFU »

I enjoy how the author narrate biblical references in the story is well interesting and teaches religious belief geoge cargill is a authentic writer,nice review.
Jackie Holycross

Cardinalsparrow wrote: 24 Oct 2018, 12:36 You review killed it. Even with my Christian background, the first thing that draws me to this book is the portrayal of Paul's character as a man capable of human feelings and not an "untouchable holy man"
Thanks, I appreciate the comment.
RethaGroenewald
Currently Reading:

Post by RethaGroenewald »

Great review!
I also enjoy historical fiction based on the Bible.
Ahh, so that's how they spoke to crowds. I wonder what other interesting facts are hides within the pages this books' pages...
Even if I didn't enjoy this kind of genre, your review would have intrigued me enough to want to read about Paul.
Jackie Holycross

RethaGroenewald wrote: 14 Feb 2019, 03:33 Great review!
I also enjoy historical fiction based on the Bible.
Ahh, so that's how they spoke to crowds. I wonder what other interesting facts are hides within the pages this books' pages...
Even if I didn't enjoy this kind of genre, your review would have intrigued me enough to want to read about Paul.
Thanks for stopping by. I think you would enjoy this book.

Return to “Historical Fiction”