Official Review: Ashes of Desire by Mario Guerrier

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: Ashes of Desire by Mario Guerrier

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ashes of Desire" by Mario Guerrier.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It looked like she was sleeping, but her eyelids were wide open. As he drew closer he could see that she was seriously hurt. He did not know who had done this to her, but Lucien was sure that Father Gregoire would make Rose better. Author Mario Guerrrier tells the story of the colonization of Haiti in a work of historical fiction titled Ashes of Desire.

Sir Henry Beauchamp, his wife, and his brother were not among the rich and famous. Still, the Beauchamps had the means to start out as entrepreneurs on the island. They found success and became one of the most wealthy and respected families on the island. Lady Beauchamp was admired by many. She was beautiful and influential, but she held an inner desire for motherhood and was unable to conceive a child. This desire lead to her fondness for a young slave girl. Lady Beauchamp’s feelings for the African slave girl challenged the social norms of the community. After the mysterious murder of the slave girl, Lady Beauchamp began a secret romantic affair with an attractive slave owned by her husband. There was no doubt that the two were passionate lovers, however, Lady Beauchamp and Joseph were on opposite ends of the social spectrum. As the couple’s relationship intensified, Lady Beauchamp and Joseph would face the harsh realities of the social hierarchy. And they would have to decide whether passion and desire were strong enough to shatter the social divide.

This is a seductive and thought-provoking novel. I was fully engaged from page one to the final word of the novel. Each character is beautifully developed with their own unique flaws and personality. Moreover, historical fiction is always my first choice, and this book did not disappoint. There is a perfect balance of dramatic storytelling and conveyance of historical facts.

This is a well-written, well-edited, and well-organized book. There are two minor grammar errors. These errors are missing and misspelled words. Still, the story is told with sophisticated, yet understandable language and flows seamlessly from scene to scene creating a pleasant reading experience. I recommend this book to fiction readers who enjoy informative historical fiction.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This novel is historical fiction at its finest. The skillful writing and editing make it pleasurable for a reader to follow this story through to the end. This story asks the reader to consider if human intuition and desire is stronger than social expectations.

Ashes of Desire
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks for the nice review. It's just too seductive seeming to me. I like the setting, but it is not enough to entice me to read the book.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I would love to find out if Joseph and Lady Beauchamp's love is able to shatter the social divide and I would also like to know about Haiti's colonization in the process. Thanks for the insightful review!
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

This is a nice review, I would like to read this book and unleased the secrets of the characters.
kimjoshie96
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by kimjoshie96 »

the topic of the book attracts the brain and i would like now haiti's way of life and government;colonaization and romantic flow of the haitians

Return to “Historical Fiction”