Review by joseca01 -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
joseca01
Currently Reading: The Selfie
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseca01.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Review by joseca01 -- The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by joseca01 » 05 Oct 2018, 11:40

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Warramunga's War is the first installment in this action-packed historical trilogy.

It starts with a friendship that is formed between young Lieutenant Jamie Munro, who is saved twice from death by 'Jacko' O'Brien, an NCO coming from a Warramunga bloodline.

After the Syrian campaign was over and the Vichy French surrendered, Jamie Munro is promoted and has been enlisted on an MI6 undercover mission in Cairo. Jamie, having formed an immediate bond with his rescuer, chooses Jacko as the second member of his team.

Soon, they are undercover in Cairo, intercepting the German's secret operations through cunning strategies and liaison with locals. Not long after, Jacko also meets Monique Rousseau, a part time tour guide, who happened to be part Aboriginal, as well. Jacko is captivated by her, and they form a deep and intimate relationship.

After the Middle Eastern war was over, Jamie and Jacko are then assigned to Southeast Asia for the Darwin Operations of the CIS. And here, they discover a connection with the German agents they were previously in pursuit with from Cairo, and a criminal gang forming in the shadows. Jacko uses the special skills and abilities he learned from his Warramunga origins. And it becomes a chase that involved the sharpest instincts, and wits to overcome a game of survival.

The Warramunga's War is a refreshing and detailed take into WW2. I've read many books of the similar genre, but this one is great in the way it highlights the aboriginal culture. I thoroughly enjoy learning specific roots of people. I specifically like the innate strength that tribes and natives share amongst their community. Untainted by society and showcasing human instinct at its rawest form.

Greg Kater has managed to write a narrative that is both compelling and suspenseful, while remaining immersive. The dialogues are well-written and the use of native language in most parts of the book makes a reader feel that they are inside the story. I would definitely recommend this to WW2 enthusiasts, or any reader who loves military books in general. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This is a promising start to an interesting series.

The Warramunga's War
View: on Bookshelves

Like joseca01's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”