Official Review: Swan Song by C. Robert Holloway

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Official Review: Swan Song by C. Robert Holloway

Post by JessNWheeler »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Swan Song" by C. Robert Holloway.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The odd man furiously scrubbing his hands at the sink in the men’s room made him uncomfortable. He almost rushed out of the door, but his mother taught him that cleanliness was next to godliness. He approached the sink. Author C. Robert Holloway tells the mysterious story of Roberto in the novella titled Swan Song.

From a very young age, a mysterious gray man occasionally visited him. He quickly learned that it was a bad idea to mention his gray visitor to anyone. The visitor did not speak a word until they met in the men’s room at an unforgettable Judy Garland show in 1961. He considered the possibility that the meeting was a hallucination. The man seemed to be confused or mistaken. It became clear that the man was not mistaken when he slipped a letter under Roberto’s door with a wild proposition. Intrigued, Roberto considered accepting the curious request. The events that followed sent Roberto on a journey that would change his life forever.

This story is rich with moments of mystery, seduction, romance, and much more. I was captivated by Roberto’s story. I was fully engaged from page one to the final word of the novella. Each character is beautifully developed with their own unique flaws and personality. Moreover, historical fiction is always my first choice, and this book did not disappoint. There is a perfect balance of dramatic storytelling and conveyance of historical facts. Readers of romance and historical fiction will enjoy this book. While I did not find the characters in this story to be relatable, I did find them to be interesting and likable.

This is a well-written, well-edited, and well-organized book. There is not one grammar error to be found. The story is told with sophisticated, yet understandable language and flows seamlessly from scene to scene creating a pleasant reading experience. I recommend this book to fiction readers who enjoy mysterious historical fiction.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This novella is mystery and historical fiction at its finest. The book includes real photos that put faces to the names of key characters in the story. The skillful writing and editing make it pleasurable for a reader to follow this seductive mystery through to the shocking end. This story asks the reader to let go of reality and trust the protagonist even when it feels as though madness could be closing in.

Swan Song
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JessNWheeler's review? Post a comment saying so!
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

This sounds like an extremely stimulating book and one that I am very interested in reading. You have portrayed the story in a most intriguing way without giving away too much. Thanks very much for the review.
wendos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendos.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by wendos »

I like well-organized narratives. The narration sounds intriguing too and I think will have to read it.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

This story is rich with moments of mystery, seduction, romance, and much more.
Nice review! Kudos to the author for seamlessly weaving all these elements in the story.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I am intrigued by Roberto's story, too. I'm curious about the historical aspect of this story. Congratulations to the author for excellence in editing! Well done review!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

Wow this book sounds so interesting, I would love to read this one. It has a very mysterious vibe that you want to unravel. Great review btw.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

This is a book that will be a great read since the author uses language that is easy to read.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

A historical read with romance sounds interesting. A very good writing skill is also an eye-catcher. Thank you for this review.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White

Return to “Historical Fiction”