Review by VJohnson0615 -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
VJohnson0615
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vjohnson0615.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Review by VJohnson0615 -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by VJohnson0615 » 01 Oct 2018, 15:23

[Following is a volunteer review of "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Apollo’s Raven by Linnea Tanner is an epic fantasy story. It is the first book in the Curse of Clansmen and Kings series. The book centers around Celtic warrior princess Catrin. She deals with political intrigue, magic, and a prophecy resulting from a terrible curse. This a great start to Tanner’s new series.

Catrin is struggling with the role she is supposed to play in the prophesy involving Blood Wolf and the Raven. Cartin learns that her half-brother is Blood Wolf and she is the Raven. She is unsure of her growing connection with ravens and what it means for her family. She also meets Marcellus, a Roman man who is the son of her father’s enemy. She is immediately attracted to him and he is captivated by her, but they struggle to trust one another. This story was full of mystery, action, and romance.

There was a lot to like about this book. Mythology and magic were reference throughout the story, adding to the plot. It was interesting hearing about familiar mythological figures in new ways. I enjoyed the political intrigue between the Celtics and Romans, and how it affected Catrin’s romance with Marcellus. I liked the irony of how similarly their fathers coached them about how to deal with one other. Catrin’s family dynamics were interesting and added to the story.

Catrin and Marcellus were very engaging characters. I loved that Catrin was a strong and confident warrior but allowed herself to be vulnerable in other aspects of her life. She was a likable character because she had flaws. There were times when she was uncertain and had very realistic reactions. I also enjoyed that Marcellus was portrayed as kind of a bad boy in the beginning of the book but evolved as the story continued. The secondary characters were intriguing and helped move the plot forward.

The pace of the story was very good. Enough of the plot was revealed at a time to keep the reader absorbed. I also enjoyed that there was a good amount of action. The balance between action and romance was perfect. The book was also professionally edited.

The detailed plot and engaging characters make me give this book 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the pace of the plot and professional editing. I would recommend it to anyone that enjoys fantasy, romance and mythology. It was a great read and I look forward to future books in the series.

Apollo's Raven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like VJohnson0615's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”