Official Review: The Saga of Bridget and Amanda

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Saga of Bridget and Amanda

Post by Kareka88 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Saga of Bridget and Amanda" by Carole Love Forbes.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Set in America during the early days of colonization, The Saga of Bridget and Amanda: Book One The New World by Carole Love-Forbes takes the reader on a journey into the lives of Bridget Wodehouse and Amanda McNeely as they adjust to a new world.

Bridget and Amanda meet while aboard a ship on it's way to America. Bridget is an English noblewoman, educated and with means of her own. She is kidnapped and brought onboard the vessel by a seaman as a replacement bride for a Puritan man. Amanda is a child of the streets who while caring for her ailing mother winds up in prison after stealing a loaf of bread. In prison, they give her a choice to stay or sail to America and become an indentured servant. We follow Bridget and Amanda on their journey to America, through abusive relationships, the birth of their daughters, Rachel and Melinda, and their new lives in America.

I like the way Ms. Love-Forbes weaves together each woman’s journey using her descriptive writing style. The story captured my heart from the beginning, and I found it hard to put down. Love-Forbes reminds us of the history of our country, even though we don‘t want to admit it, where women possess few rights and many times treated as possessions. These women live in a nation of slavery, indentured servanthood, and hardships. However, they find out it is also a country of new beginnings, and personal triumphs.

Ms. Love-Forbes creates female characters with character. Even though they may not have a formal education, their intelligence and ingenuity protect them from a hostile environment. Looking for a way to better their circumstances, they befriend others willing to assist them. I admire these women, not only Bridget and Amanda, their daughters Rachel and Melinda but also the women who they meet along their paths.

As with many historical fiction novels, the characters interact with historical figures. Readers will see Bridget and Amanda interact with prominent people such as Algernon Fry, a merchant ship captain; William and Alice Bradford, Governor of Plymouth Colony and his wife; John Cotton, a controversial and pre-eminent clergyman of the day; and Anne Hutchinson, spiritual advisor and essential participant in a religious controversy in Massachusetts.

I found several grammatical errors. These errors did not disrupt my reading. I would love to give this book a four-star rating but I can‘t due to the many mistakes, and therefore, I rate it 3 out of 4 stars. Readers of historical fiction and those who love stories about strong women will enjoy not only this book but the entire series.

The Saga of Bridget and Amanda
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Kareka88's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

I would love to see the new beginnings and personal triumphs of Bridget and Amanda! This historical fiction sounds right up my alley. I hope the author corrects the grammatical errors. Thanks for the introduction to this book!
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Irene C
Currently Reading: Outlander
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-irene-c.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Irene C »

What a great story of women’s lives in colonial New England! Thanks for this thorough and thoughtful review, and I’m sorry about the errors.
History is not a burden on the memory but an illumination of the soul. Lord Acton
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

I agree with stacie k that this book sounds the sort of story I enjoy. Good characterisation with the added bonus of learning more about a historical period in time makes this a very promising read. Good review!
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

The historical background sounds interesting, and the characterisation is appealing. Thank you for your great review!
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

Tales of the early inroads into America have always been fascinating to me and so, without doubt, I will enjoy this book. It's easy to forget how hard it must have been for early settlers to start their lives from 'scratch' in that hostile environment, and even more so for the women. An enlightening and enjoyable review. Thanks.
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

I am not a fan of historical fiction, but this one captured my attention and I would love to read this one. Great review btw.
Swiftmover07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swiftmover07.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Swiftmover07 »

I'm on the fence about this book. It sounds interesting but I'm not sure if it is something that would keep my attention. Awesome review as well
Goodnight sweet prince, may flights of devils wing you to your rest. - Anne Rice
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

I always love books with characters that are well deeveloped. This will be a great read. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Kareka88

Post by Kareka88 »

stacie k wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 16:34 I would love to see the new beginnings and personal triumphs of Bridget and Amanda! This historical fiction sounds right up my alley. I hope the author corrects the grammatical errors. Thanks for the introduction to this book!
I really enjoyed it, I am sure you will too. I do hope the errors are fixed because it is such a good book.
Kareka88

Post by Kareka88 »

Irene C wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 17:51 What a great story of women’s lives in colonial New England! Thanks for this thorough and thoughtful review, and I’m sorry about the errors.
If you get a chance to read it, I'm sure you will love it too. I do hope the errors get fixed because it is such a good book.
Kareka88

Post by Kareka88 »

Caylie_Cat wrote: 05 Oct 2018, 20:11 I agree with stacie k that this book sounds the sort of story I enjoy. Good characterisation with the added bonus of learning more about a historical period in time makes this a very promising read. Good review!
I'm sure if you get a chance to read it you will love it too.
Kareka88

Post by Kareka88 »

sonya01 wrote: 06 Oct 2018, 11:23 Tales of the early inroads into America have always been fascinating to me and so, without doubt, I will enjoy this book. It's easy to forget how hard it must have been for early settlers to start their lives from 'scratch' in that hostile environment, and even more so for the women. An enlightening and enjoyable review. Thanks.
I'm sure you will love it too.
Kareka88

Post by Kareka88 »

Noraine Alissa Poria wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 01:18 I am not a fan of historical fiction, but this one captured my attention and I would love to read this one. Great review btw.
I'm sure if you get a give it a try you will love it too. It is a very easy read.
Kareka88

Post by Kareka88 »

topdan30 wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 11:21 I always love books with characters that are well deeveloped. This will be a great read. Thanks for the review.
I'm sure if you get a chance to read it you will love it too.

Return to “Historical Fiction”