A Kingdom's Cost by JR Tomlin

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emjopin
Favorite Author: E.W. Johnson M.D.
Favorite Book: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci
Currently Reading: Lost Secret of the Ancient Ones
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emjopin.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
fav_author_id: 196577

A Kingdom's Cost by JR Tomlin

Post by Emjopin »

Tomlin, J. R... A Kingdom's Cost: A Historical Novel of Scotland (The Black Douglas Trilogy Book 1)

Book Review by Emjopin

James Douglas, the heir of Douglasdale had gone through the baptism of fire that power and wealth entails. It cost him his pride, honor, life and limb. Even his very soul was at stake. His long journey from France where his father had to hide him from aggressors, to the perils he went through on his way back to Scotland … indeed, A Kingdom’s Cost is priceless. No amount of worldly possession could outweigh a sacred bestowed Kingdom to an heir!

Historical events and novels depicting how Kingdoms are won and lost just as J.R. Tomlin explicitly unfurled, it is gore bloody, surmounting anger and deceitful savagery. The interjections of romance seemingly soften a weary soul but all the more confuses an innocent heart to discern love and lust.

This is what I like about the book. It reminds us of the past that we never had a chance to tread. It awakens us to the reality that we are facing now. It is by far a mirror image dating back to the deceitful serpent that crashed Eve’s innocence then weakened Adams stand and eventually ruined paradise. It has always been a battle between good and evil but the sophisticated world fumbles to hardly draw the line. Reason is fragmented with alibis and wisdom is overshadowed by mere wits.

The heir of Douglasdale whose father was mercilessly slain by a more powerful kingdom’s monarch was raised to bear that grudge and learn how to grab back his right by adapting the same deceitful manner, with much hatred to avenge, resulting to a never ending bloodbath. The plot reminds me of “Mary Queen of Scots.” However, here, J.R. Tomlin brings in a new twist, like more recently uncovered facts that reveal how Monarchs send their heirs incognito somewhere to study or engage in business. These keep them safe from public scrutiny and give a cloistered haven for future monarchs.

There are but minor dispensable errors that I chose to ignore because it is supposed to be unguarded dialogues by henchmen and olden times characters that didn’t bother about grammar or syntax. I rated this book 4 out of 4 because of its realistic innuendoes on how wars were fought then and its relevance to today’s war ridden new world order. Seemingly yet impending but unwittingly ongoing---

Return to “Historical Fiction”