Official Review: The Deceptive Earl: Lady Charity Abernathy

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Official Review: The Deceptive Earl: Lady Charity Abernathy

Post by JuliaKay »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Deceptive Earl: Lady Charity Abernathy" by Isabella Thorne.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From 1811 to 1820, when King George the III was deemed unfit to rule, and his son governed in his place, the Regency era reigned. The Regency period can be described as a time of romanticism, etiquette, and elegance. Beethoven was composing, Byron was writing poetry, and Antione Jean Duclaux was painting. The Napoleonic wars raged on. Women wore low-scooped neckline dresses that were influenced by Greek and Roman sculptures, and men wore well-tailored but simple clothing such as trousers tucked into books and linen shirts with cravats.

The Deceptive Earl is a book from the Regency Romance Collection by author Isabella Thorne. It's a lighthearted and entertaining read, but the plot is lacking in depth. Lady Charity Abernathy is the only daughter of the Earl of Shalace. Her family is wealthy and highly esteemed in English society. Her mother is determined that as they spend the summer in Bath, a town in Southwest England, Charity will find a fiancé and secure her family's future, especially since her father has been ill. Most of Charity's friends are now married or engaged, and Charity is feeling the pressure to find a husband; however, she wants to marry for love, not for a fortune or a title. While Charity and her mother are attending a private concert, Neville Collington, Earl of Wentwell, draws her attention. Despite her attraction to the earl, she also is aware that he has a reputation as a scoundrel, and she is determined to avoid the man. She also knows that her mother and the earl's mother harbor animosity toward each other. Will Lady Abernathy be able to fight the magnetic pull she feels to Neville Collington and resist his charms? Will she find a man deserving of her love before the end of the summer's revelries?

This story is undeniably charming and romantic, and the characters are surprisingly well fleshed out. I feared that because the plot was rather one-dimensional and straightforward, the characters would be the same. However, Charity is an intelligent young woman who struggles to find her place amidst titles and wealth, even though she has been raised in that society. Her mother, while strict and hovering, constantly reminding Charity of the importance of finding a husband and prompting her to flirt and flounce properly, has a complicated past, and there is more to her than meets the eye. The two protagonists also mature throughout the book, and I feel that this adds some realism and relatability to their stories. The Earl of Wentwell, while rakish and disreputable, also has layers that are stripped away throughout the book. It is easy to get caught up in the world of balls and polite society and to be carried away with the romance.

What this story lacks for me is the same complexity in the plot as the complexity of the protagonists. It is a true romance through-and-through, and as I read, I was hoping for a little more. Perhaps a mystery for the main characters to solve or a figure bent on destroying the family's name – something to make it a bit more interesting! Despite this, I did think that Charity's father's illness and Neville's brother's difficulty with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from the war added a little bit of a side story. Throughout the book, I did notice a few technical errors, including typos such as "begin" rather than "being." Small qualms aside, as a lighthearted romance, this narrative is satisfying. Furthermore, love and family relationships are complicated enough without throwing in mysteries or villains, and perhaps the author realizes this and does not feel the need to add all the extras. Even with the minor flaws, The Deceptive Earl is rated 4 out of 4 stars.

Those who enjoy romance, especially historical romance, will undoubtedly enjoy this charming story. The characters are witty and likable, and the lightheartedness of the plot makes it an easy and pleasant read. A strength worth mentioning is that while this is clearly a romance novel, there are no instances of intimacy other than kisses and small touches. If you like romance without explicitness, this book is for you. There is also no warning to give as far as vulgar language. The dialogue, mannerisms, and practices in the story are in alignment with the Regency era. The author manages to keep this story interesting without adding anything that could potentially be offensive to readers.

The Deceptive Earl: Lady Charity Abernathy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JuliaKay's review? Post a comment saying so!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Wow, these characters do seem well fleshed out! And you made them come alive in your review :) This seems like a charming story with a very sweet romance.
Great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I love the sound of the Regency period as you portray it here! This novel can surely take its place amid historical fiction from that time. It's awesome that there is some character development notwithstanding the straightforward plot. I don't read much romance but it can be fun to escape into a world of balls and polite society.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

Bianka Walter wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 14:57 Wow, these characters do seem well fleshed out! And you made them come alive in your review :) This seems like a charming story with a very sweet romance.
Great review!
Thank you! I'm not typically a romance fan, but this book was enjoyable.
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 02:02 I love the sound of the Regency period as you portray it here! This novel can surely take its place amid historical fiction from that time. It's awesome that there is some character development notwithstanding the straightforward plot. I don't read much romance but it can be fun to escape into a world of balls and polite society.
I appreciated that it was authentic of the time period that the story took place in. It has some Jane Austen vibes.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

I grew up reading historical romance novels and used to love them! It’s been a while since I read any, but your review has reignited an interest. The regency period was a time of charm and elegance, and easy for a reader to get lost in it. Wonderful review - thank you!
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

sonya01 wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 01:53 I grew up reading historical romance novels and used to love them! It’s been a while since I read any, but your review has reignited an interest. The regency period was a time of charm and elegance, and easy for a reader to get lost in it. Wonderful review - thank you!
Thank you! I hope you find something in that genre that you enjoy.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

How refreshing to find romance without explicit content! This quality, combined with the historical aspects, deem it worthy to add to my Want To Read shelf.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

Great review! I loved how you did not only describe the plot and express your views but also narrated the background in your review. Good to know that the characters make up for the complexity lacking in the plot. I am not a great fan of romance, so without any added components of thrill or adventures, will not probably read the book, but I absolutely loved reading your review!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I am a great fan of romance and hence, I like the touch of eroticism in romance stories. For me, steamy romance is always better than sweet romance. :P Further, lack of a credible side-story will deter me from picking up this book. Thanks for the candid review!
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

What a pressure to have in the 18th century to be constantly pushed to look for a potential husband. I am glad to know this romance novel is a clean read and your review has made me want to check this out myself.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Romance at the period of the regent sounds interesting, but this does not seem an eventful book to me. It sounds interesting to know about the aristocrat society of English and their ways of life. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

I'm not a huge fan of romance but the time setting for this book is very interesting. I had never heard of the Regency period. I think I would like a bit more story to go with the Romance. Thanks for the well thought out review!
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

stacie k wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 22:26 How refreshing to find romance without explicit content! This quality, combined with the historical aspects, deem it worthy to add to my Want To Read shelf.
I was pleasantly surprised! I thought that there would be explicit content because of the cleavage displayed on the cover.
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

Shrabastee wrote: 06 Oct 2018, 02:18 Great review! I loved how you did not only describe the plot and express your views but also narrated the background in your review. Good to know that the characters make up for the complexity lacking in the plot. I am not a great fan of romance, so without any added components of thrill or adventures, will not probably read the book, but I absolutely loved reading your review!
I was missing the thrill and adventure, for sure.

Return to “Historical Fiction”