Official Review: The Deceptive Earl: Lady Charity Abernathy

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JuliaKay
Currently Reading: The Black Witch
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliakay.html
Latest Review: I Am Not Gog by Matthew James Hunt

Re: Official Review: The Deceptive Earl: Lady Charity Abernathy

Post by JuliaKay »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 02:33 I am a great fan of romance and hence, I like the touch of eroticism in romance stories. For me, steamy romance is always better than sweet romance. :P Further, lack of a credible side-story will deter me from picking up this book. Thanks for the candid review!
You're welcome!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 18:46 What a pressure to have in the 18th century to be constantly pushed to look for a potential husband. I am glad to know this romance novel is a clean read and your review has made me want to check this out myself.
I hope you enjoy it if you choose to check it out!
“A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.”
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 05:09 Romance at the period of the regent sounds interesting, but this does not seem an eventful book to me. It sounds interesting to know about the aristocrat society of English and their ways of life. Thank you for your review!
I love the Regency period, but I was wishing for a little more excitement.
JuliaKay

Post by JuliaKay »

jcoad wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 14:27 I'm not a huge fan of romance but the time setting for this book is very interesting. I had never heard of the Regency period. I think I would like a bit more story to go with the Romance. Thanks for the well thought out review!
I would have preferred a little bit more thrill myself. The Regency period would be when most of the Jane Austen works take place.
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

You've made the book seem neat, decent, history-tinged, lesson-filled yet still romantic enough for a light, past-time read that I wouldn't fear accidentally getting into a younger teen reader's shelf or something. Thank you for your descriptive review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

Sounds like a book that is easy on the mind and good for a lighthearted feel-good read. It also seems like a wholesome read, and complex characters are always a bonus. I've also never heard of the Regency period in history, so I'm pretty intrigued by the temporal setting of this book! I am glad you liked this book, thank you so much for this review!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From 1811 to 1820, when King George the III was deemed unfit to rule, and his son governed in his place, the Regency era reigned. The Regency period can be described as a time of romanticism, etiquette, and elegance. Beethoven was composing, Byron was writing poetry, and Antione Jean Duclaux was painting. The Napoleonic wars raged on. Women wore low-scooped neckline dresses that were influenced by Greek and Roman sculptures, and men wore well-tailored but simple clothing such as trousers tucked into books and linen shirts with cravats.
You painted such a lively and fascinating description of this time period! I love a good romance, especially one with well-developed characters. While I understand your point about the plot, there's something comfortable about just reading this kind of "feel-good" and "innocent" books.
I'll definitely be adding this one to my to-read list, thanks!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I once loved the uncomplicated novels of the regency era - balls, polite society and characters being carried away with the romance. I think once in a while an uncomplicated, family drama setting is good to while away the time. Thanks for this amazing review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
janelwhite
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelwhite.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00C5W16B8

Post by janelwhite »

Thank you for that review. I love historical fiction and good romance stories that aren’t explicit are hard to find. With a straight forward plot it sounds like it could be a slow read though. I’ll keep it in mind!

Return to “Historical Fiction”