Official Review: From Genesis to Genocide

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Official Review: From Genesis to Genocide

Post by Mely918 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From Genesis to Genocide" by Brume-Ezewu, Steven.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The book From Genesis to Genocide by Steven Bume-Ezewu is a historical fiction novel that focuses on the book of Genesis from the Bible. It is an original take on the biblical story. Atheistic Professor Andre Strasser, an archeologist at Harvard University, gets an invitation to go to Syria. His task there is to find the remains of ancient civilizations. While there, the professor decides to go hiking up a mountain with some volunteers. During his adventure, he happens upon the ruins of Noah’s Ark and some scrolls containing information on the book of Genesis.

As Professor Andre begins reading through the scrolls, the readers travel back in time. The novel begins to focus more on the retelling of the story of Genesis. It shows the trials that Noah had to endure when trying to convince the greater population of the upcoming flood. It also tells of what may happen to individuals who succumb to greed and materialism instead of God’s will. Additionally, the story focuses on the good that can come out of being a loyal servant to the Lord. The book consistently puts great emphasis on the theme of faith vs. realism.

This novel, unfortunately, had a lot more cons than pros. The book was very poorly written. It starts at page seven, and within the ninth page of the story I had already caught ten errors. A lot of the mistakes were grammatical inconsistencies, missing punctuation marks, misspellings, and poor sentence structure. One example on page eight reads, “He jettisoned the idea of a supreme deity which he strongly believed contradicted the evolution theory.” The author also used a lot of passive voice throughout the novel. One instance was at the beginning of chapter five, which read, “The best of the masters were consulted.” The usage of passive voice was very disengaging and ruined the flow of the story.

Another big problem I had with this novel was how flat and one-dimensional all the characters were. There was hardly any character development at all. The most that would happen is the greedy characters got punished for their actions while the humble ones were rewarded. The book doesn’t show any growth in the characters as a result of their experiences. Furthermore, the author seems too set on telling the story of Genesis, to the point that he completely neglects the character of Professor Andre after the first chapter. I would have liked to see the professor’s character development, especially since he is an atheist who happened upon a scroll of a biblical story.

I rate this book 1 out of 4 stars. The book had a good premise. The idea was promising, and the theme of faith vs. realism is always an interesting one to explore. Unfortunately, the author did not execute the story well. I suggest that this novel be rewritten and heavily edited so that it becomes a more appealing read. As of now, I would not recommend this book to anybody.

From Genesis to Genocide
View: on Bookshelves

Like Mely918's review? Post a comment saying so!
wendos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendos.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by wendos »

Thank you for the review. The topic itself is not my cup of tea, so I may not follow it up even after the book gets an edit.
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

"The idea was promising, and the theme of faith vs. realism is always an interesting one to explore. Unfortunately, the author did not execute the story well."

I got what you meant above and I am sure this was disappointing. This is a very good piece of review you have put out here despite the material you had to work with. Nothing more to be said, you nailed the review,

P.S I haven't read the book though if I see a hard copy lying around, I still might probably pick and glance through.
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 798
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

This is a book that should have offered more!! but seems the execution was off it. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

I like the idea of a story based around the book of Genesis, but the execution of this one sounds poor. Decent editing and character development are crucial to a good story. Thanks for your honest review!
Galnius
Currently Reading: The Last City of America
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-galnius.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Galnius »

Time travel and the first acts of man in the abrahamic religions should have been a lot more engaging then it seems it was. They appear to need an editor...to fix the majority.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

The cover features St. Michael the Archangel defeating Lucifer. I thought the book was about the war of the angels. I don't recall reading about this battle in Genesis, so I wonder why the author chose this cover.

I am intrigued by how the finding of the scrolls will affect the professor's unbelief.

Return to “Historical Fiction”