Official Review: Peace on That by T.L. Criswell

Please use this forum to discuss historical fiction books. Common definitions define historical fiction as novels written at least 25-50 years after the book's setting.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Official Review: Peace on That by T.L. Criswell

Post by C-Extra22 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Peace on That" by T.L. Criswell.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

T.L. Criswell’s book, Peace on That – Peacemaker II is a fictional story about the Jackson family and their love life. The story starts with a broken and emotionally traumatized third generation member of the Jackson family – Big man. His two sons (Shorty and Calvin) cases are about to be heard in court, and he is sad at how his life had turned. The following chapters narrate the ordeals of the Jackson family and how they came to that point. The story comes to a climax when Big Man is outsmarted by his wife and is left to deal with the consequence of his actions.

This book has more than one major character. It also had a lot of flashbacks. The story flowed between the present and the past. It also had a lot of suspense and intrigue. I don’t know why it is a series since the story doesn’t look like it had a previous series. Also, the end was conclusive enough. The story provoked a lot of emotions in me. Sometimes, you are excited about the turn of events, and the next moment you are moved deeply by the pain the character is going through.

The story was told in the first person narrative. The author was generous in giving out information about most of the major characters. His language was simple and concise. There were a lot of moral lessons to be learnt from the book. The title of the book was not a summary of the story. It was only mentioned by Uncle Buddy on some occasions.

I enjoyed every part of the story. The part I enjoyed most was the lesson Pops’ Father taught Pops -“Jacksons don’t make excuses”. I enjoyed this because there were a lot of truths in this lesson. The more people make excuses, the more they never get anything done. People who make excuses usually don’t achieve so much.

I was put off by Big Man’s reluctance to tell his father about his infidelities and the challenge he was having with his wife. This was what I liked the least. My reason is that he would have saved himself and his family a lot of heartache if he had tapped into his supposed father’s well of wisdom.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I didn’t give it a 4 because it had some typographical errors and would require some editing work. `I also did not give it a 2 because of its interesting plot and amazing storyline.

This book would appeal most to everyone who loves to read a good fictional story with a little bit of love, action, and lots of emotion. It would appeal most to shattered families and parents who are trying to put their family together. This book would appeal least to people who can’t forgive their past and seek for new ways to move ahead. Also, lovers of erotic sexual scenes would not find this book appealing.

Generally, I recommend this book to everyone who loves a good story irrespective of the genre. The absence of erotic sexual scenes makes this book an enthralling read.

Peace on That
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like C-Extra22's review? Post a comment saying so!
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

I appreciated your views for liking the book, coupled with the few things that didn't appeal as much to you. I'm also glad that you summarised that the book could be read as a standalone novel. I love an emotional book that can pull at the heartstrings and I like that there are several major characters that are all developed to some degree because this makes me think that I can find an affinity with at least one of them.

I think I might need to read a bit more before deciding whether I could invest time in this novel. I intend to now either go and read a few more reviews or read the blurb on amazon.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
LaurenHaupt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurenhaupt.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by LaurenHaupt »

Book sounds interesting. I like that lesson that goes with the book. Thanks for the review.
:techie-studyingbrown:
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I usually like my romance novels with erotic scenes. However, if the story is as good as you say then I'm open to reading this. Nice review.
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Sounds like Big Man had pride issues. We do save ourselves a headache if we would just ask for help. A hard lesson for some of us to learn. This is not my usual kind of book I read, but I would be willing to give it a shot because of its themes and no explicit sex scenes. Thanks for your review.
Sanju Lali
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Goodbye, Rudy Kazoody
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanju-lali.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Sanju Lali »

Though you faced some difficulties reading due to typographical errors the story sounds quite interesting about Jackson family and their love life.
life is only knowing the unknown, we can do this by reading books easily- Online book club is a great place for this. This is what I believe.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

It is amazing that such a unique title is not a summary of the book. I'm glad you enjoyed the book. Thanks for the insightful review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

This sounds like a well-rounded book with a lot of moral values. It teaches on honesty and the cost of making excuses. Thank you for your comprehensive review of this book.
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

The story sounds interesting. Having more than one major character in a book can be challenging but from your summary, it seems the author did a good job. I also like that the language is simple and concise. Thanks for a great review.
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
pelumibadon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by pelumibadon »

Book sounds interesting. I like that lesson that goes with the book.
C-Extra22
Currently Reading: Blessed By the darkness
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-extra22.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by C-Extra22 »

Thanks everyone.There are a lot of moral lessons in this book. I enjoyed the book.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

We all should learn to seek help and not bottle up things on the inside. The result can be disastrous. I admire your review.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

Uncle Buddy sounds like a funny character. I'm glad you enjoyed the book. Captivating review.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

It seems like Big Man is encountering a lot of challenges: his 2 sons awaiting their case in court and his wife leaving him. I would really like to know how he handles the situation. Enchanting review!
Dusamae
Favorite Book: End of the Last Great Kingdom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 116
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dusamae.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by Dusamae »

Sounds like an interesting book. Thank you for the review. I love a good emotional book at times, and from your review, I think I might give it a try.

Return to “Historical Fiction”