Review by Echo Haapala -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Echo Haapala
2018 Reading Goal: 50
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 34
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echo-haapala.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Review by Echo Haapala -- Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Echo Haapala » 25 Sep 2018, 20:49

[Following is a volunteer review of "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Magic, oracles, war, curses and romance, Apollo’s Raven has it all. The story is set in 24 AD in Britannia. King Armen and his Cantiaci kingdom were destined for failure after a curse was cast upon him by his first wife. It was believed that the kingdom would be overtaken by his banished son, Marrock, and one of King Armen’s daughters. Can he save his kingdom from this cursed fate? Or will this curse be unbreakable?

Catrin is a young, beautiful warrior princess with magical powers and is the daughter of King Armen. She falls head over heels in love with a Roman named Marcellus. Although she knows that their fates can never be intertwined, she cannot stop her heart from loving him. She soon learns that she is to be wed to another man. King Armen made an agreement with another kingdom that she would marry one of their men to form an alliance and save their people from bloodshed. Will her love affair with Marcellus put the curse into motion? Or will their love break the curse?

When I first decided to read this book, I was unsure if I would enjoy it because this type of book typically is not my first choice. However, I was pleasantly surprised. Although there were many different elements in this book like the curse, magic, and a love story, the author developed the story in such a way that it flowed naturally. I never felt like the plot was rushed or underdeveloped. Every page was filled with such great detail that it was easy for me to get lost in the time period and the storyline. I may have wanted to personally rush through a few of the pages to read what happened next, but as for the story itself, it was masterfully written.

Once I began reading, I was easily captivated and consumed by each page. There were multiple plot twists throughout the pages that kept me from putting the book down. I am pretty sure that at certain points, my jaw dropped to the floor and I shouted, “WTF.” Also, this book was professionally edited and I was unable to find any errors, which made this read all that more enjoyable. With all of this said, I happily rate this book a 4 out of 4.

I would recommend this book to any readers that like magic and love stories. It is good for young adults and adults. I think it is fair to point out that there are a few graphic sex scenes as well as some violence. However, the story is not dark but lighthearted. I would not recommend this book to anyone that doesn’t like fiction.

Apollo's Raven
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Echo Haapala's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”